U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 06:23 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,978,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL Just last summer, my fiance and I went to Kansas and met some people at a little eating joint and she asked "what type of cokes do you have"?

Break here a bit...

Actually, she phrased it that way just to see what response she would get. Because, for one, she is not a native Southerner (she is from Colorado) and, two, didn't really start using "coke" until she lived down here for several years and it sorta "grew" on her. When we first hooked up, she was as clueless as they come when I would ask her if she wanted a "coke".

Anyway, I was all this time, amused, and KNEW what was going to happen.

Sure enough, the waiter looked at her as if she had dropped down from another planet. He replied, bumfuzzled, "we have coca-cola...diet, light..."
I had a similar experience in either Minneapolis or Detroit metro (can't remember). At a restaurant, I asked "What kind of soda do you have?". I got the same "what planet are you from" look from the waiter before he said "you know, like seltzer".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 06:31 PM

4,111 posts, read 7,364,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I had a similar experience in either Minneapolis or Detroit metro (can't remember). At a restaurant, I asked "What kind of soda do you have?". I got the same "what planet are you from" look from the waiter before he said "you know, like seltzer".
So DUH! That's because it's called pop in most of the Midwest!

Old 09-13-2010, 06:50 AM

3,569 posts, read 5,783,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I have heard that exact same thing as a joke for Kentucky.

It drove me crazy when I lived down south, people using the terminology "coke" for everything. I worked in the service industry, it would get quite confusing when people would say things like "I want 3 cokes. 2 sprites and a Mr. Pibb." The southern folk who also spoke stupid knew what they wanted; but I didn't.
Lol, id give them 6 drinks.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:47 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,978,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
So DUH! That's because it's called pop in most of the Midwest!
so DUH!!! I know that! Just relaying a similar story in an area with different terminology!

Old 09-13-2010, 11:59 AM

7,732 posts, read 11,782,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The southern folk who also spoke stupid knew what they wanted; but I didn't.
Was this remark really necessary?

Old 09-13-2010, 12:24 PM

7,337 posts, read 9,002,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
As a general rule of thumb, Midwesterners say POP! Except for the Saint Louis and Milwaukee area. Is this some kind of East or West Coast influence?
It might be the influence of the Anheiser-Busch brewing company, though; these two cities do have a long history in beer production..

Old 09-14-2010, 02:25 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,664,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Yeah me too. Here in Memphis if you said "I want 3 cokes. 2 sprites and a Mr. Pibb." You would get 6 drinks.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:24 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,042,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
It might be the influence of the Anheiser-Busch brewing company, though; these two cities do have a long history in beer production..
I don't think this is the reason. I am still thinking as a hunch it is related to local brands that marketed themselves as soda in the late 19th early 20th century.

I am suprised no academic study has explained why certain words are used in certain areas.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:59 AM

4,111 posts, read 7,364,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
I am suprised no academic study has explained why certain words are used in certain areas.
I know, right?

Old 09-14-2010, 09:14 AM

8,268 posts, read 13,556,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
That did happen; on more than one occasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or