U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:15 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,337,514 times

Advertisements

Born and raised in Minnesota as the Upper Midwest:

Winter: prefer 50+ inches of snow and a white Christmas, but temps to remain above 0 and frequent winter thaws and/or days of 50+ degrees.

Spring: prefer a thaw by March and hit 70 degrees every so often, and 80+ by April. No April blizzards!

Summer: LOVE the upper 70's and low 80's, but if it hits 90+ or even 100+ every so often it's no big deal, humidity is nice but not when it's oppressive WITH heat, I'm a "heat wuss"!

Fall: prefer 50's and 60's and low 70's for October, and 40's and approaching 30's in November, with the first snow as early as Halloween but most likely Thanksgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 11:39 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,451,444 times
I honestly don't think that anywhere in the U.S. is as comfortable as California since humidity is generally quite low and temperatures are quite mild. In Los Angeles the temperature ranges from near 70F during winter to mid 80's during summer. Where else in America can one find some a short thermometer and one that is so mild? Nowhere.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:43 PM

CA is drier and it's expensive if you want to live closer to the ocean!!!

Old 09-14-2010, 12:33 AM

1,252 posts, read 2,385,837 times
Well, I would say that the temperature range that I find most comfortable for me is anywhere from 50 to about under 80. A couple degrees under 50 such as 48 for example still isn't bad if there is no wind. Even 45-40 degrees is doable for me.

Hot: I consider hot to be anything 105 and above. I don't really mind the heat nowadays as long as it isn't for more than 4 months maximum. Well, I guess that the desert Southwest(Arizona and Nevada is out of the question for me).

Humid: I don't really like humidity that much especially in a place in which it lasts for more than half the year. Miami is an example of this. No thanks.

Dry Heat: This is bearable up to about 100-105 degrees.

Cold: I seem to crave the cold, especially wet cold such as Oregon or Washington State.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:54 AM

Seems like you Californians are in the perfect environment -- how convenient!

Old 09-14-2010, 01:10 AM

235 posts, read 263,461 times
LOW HUMIDITY = FIRES

I'd rather have a change of seasons and fluctuating temps / ocassional high humidity of the SE than the constant threat of fires and high winds that western climes have to deal with.

Also despite what outsiders believe it is not humid all year long in the south .... mainly only in summer and winter. As a result it often feels hotter and colder than it really is. Fall and spring are sublime.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:10 AM

151 posts, read 476,885 times
After living in coastal central California …then moving to the East Coast – I can tell you coastal California is just too cool/cloudy/ much too often for me. If like sunny, hot, Caribbean style summer weather, where you can sit on the beach in June and not shiver if the wind comes off the water…and you put away your jacket for 7 months. For 7 out of 12 months of the year…you feel like you’re living in some tropical island when you’re in the resort cities on the Southeast coast/Florida. Coastal Califorina is like perpetual spring – no real long lasting summer on the coast. I never realized that California has more of a mid latitude feel to it…Chicago with palm trees. On the southeast Coast/Florida - the Atlantic is warm and inviting (in the 80’s half the year)…while the Pacific struggles to get above 65 F for a few summer months.

And the icing on the cake is that the beaches of Florida have “beach weather” 12 months a year…something California will never have. I’ll take those “Caribbean summers” on the East Coast over the “May Gray”, “June Gloom” and the freezing Pacific …etc any time.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:00 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,451,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind View Post
After living in coastal central California …then moving to the East Coast – I can tell you coastal California is just too cool/cloudy/ much too often for me. If like sunny, hot, Caribbean style summer weather, where you can sit on the beach in June and not shiver if the wind comes off the water…and you put away your jacket for 7 months. For 7 out of 12 months of the year…you feel like you’re living in some tropical island when you’re in the resort cities on the Southeast coast/Florida. Coastal Califorina is like perpetual spring – no real long lasting summer on the coast. I never realized that California has more of a mid latitude feel to it…Chicago with palm trees. On the southeast Coast/Florida - the Atlantic is warm and inviting (in the 80’s half the year)…while the Pacific struggles to get above 65 F for a few summer months.

And the icing on the cake is that the beaches of Florida have “beach weather” 12 months a year…something California will never have. I’ll take those “Caribbean summers” on the East Coast over the “May Gray”, “June Gloom” and the freezing Pacific …etc any time.
When you write "East Coast" having 7 months of warm weather you are of-course referring to the Southeast. Since the Northeast is only warm for maybe 4-5 months and then very cold the rest of the year. Central coastal California is, as you point out, cool year round for the most part but not cloudy except during summer mornings. Otherwise it is very sunny and much milder than any East Coast region north of Florida during winter. Even Jacksonville, Florida, New Orleans and Houston are cooler during winter than cities like Los Angeles yet much further south. That's why flowers grow all year and trees and lawns are green all winter in California compared to most of the nation.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:48 PM

LA would be mostly desert if people didn't transplant trees and other brush and maintain them thoroughly. The CA fires that happen every year is nature's way of saying "get that sh*t off of my CA!"

Old 09-14-2010, 02:02 PM

15,591 posts, read 26,009,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
LA would be mostly desert if people didn't transplant trees and other brush and maintain them thoroughly. The CA fires that happen every year is nature's way of saying "get that sh*t off of my CA!"
That makes no sense. The fires happen in rural areas where there is natural vegetation, not non native trees. It's usually chaparral that is being burned too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or