U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 04:59 PM

3,569 posts, read 6,150,308 times

Advertisements

Lol at the Las Vegas people all excited for that one day of snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 06:53 PM

11,336 posts, read 17,509,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I know there are palm trees in the South but until one gets into central Florida all those palms are "hardy" because other species can not survive winter.
That's not really true. It's sort of true for certain true Tropical Palms which can only survive in Central Florida southward, the Southern tip of Texas, & Hawaii and not really the West Coast. Just about every Palm on the West Coast exists well north of Central Florida.

"Hardy" Palms are the Palms you see in tend to see in hardiness zones 7 & 8:

NOTE: This is an old map (1990), many places are about a zone warmer now

Zone 7 has expanded into New England & The Midwest, Zone 8 has expanded to the metros DC to NYC, pretty much every zone in the Eastern 2/3rds of the country has expanded northward.

And by average annual low they mean the lowest temperature for the whole year, not the average low.

I'll make a follow up post.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:58 PM

4,445 posts, read 8,829,471 times
Quote:
Well, we are going round and round over this yet you continue to minimize what I have pointed out with weather data and that is that California is warmer than any other area at the same latitude in the U.S. during winter. How do you explain that San Francisco and all coastal California cities have 365-day growing seasons when even Florida can not replicate that until one gets into southern Florida? I know there are palm trees in the South but until one gets into central Florida all those palms are "hardy" because other species can not survive winter. Unlike southern California that has more palm tree varieties [subtropical]. You simply can not cover up the fact that arctic air-masses invade the Southern U.S. each winter and drop temps well below freezing while coastal California rarely even experiences frost. The last time Los Angeles dropped below freezing at night was 1949. The crops that grow here can not grow at the same latitude or even much further south in the Gulf states because it is too cold. I don't consider average winter temps near or slightly above 70F as "cold" and only extreme southern Texas and central Florida have it as warm as southern California yet are hundreds of miles further south. Can you name one U.S. city that has winters as warm as California between 32-38N latitude? You can't because they don't exist. And as I keep pointing out, Southern cities much further south of southern California [Houston, New Orleans, Jacksonville, Tallahassee] are cooler and more prone to sub-freezing temps than even San Francisco. Take a look at the zones for growing crops and you will see that southern California is in the same region as southern Florida because frost and freezing temps are rare anywhere near the ocean and well inland. Only California and Florida [and of-course Hawaii] have USDA zone 10 or 11 regions [not Texas, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, etc]. These zones show what can be grown due to likelihood of frost and cold night temps. Hardiness zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why you keep arguing that the South is warmer during winter is silly because it factually is not true. Yes, Houston and New Orleans, etc are mild and not that much cooler than Los Angeles but they are hundreds of miles further south and should be warm but are not near 70F like many areas of California. It is this climate that has drawn people to California; mild to warm winters and cool to warm summers; there's no other state can can boast such a moderate and comfortable climate.
The truth is that CA has built its tourist industry on cold ocean waters and lousy coastal weather. In the internet age people can find the truth. More people go to the beaches of the Gulf Coast/East Coast because the climate is better for the beach/coastal living. CA has 3 months when the beach weather is as good as the Gulf/South Atlantic coast (Dec – Mar)…the other nine months of the year it’s no match for the warm climate and comfortable ocean waters of the Gulf/South Atlantic . Sorry, but that’s the real truth.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:02 PM

4,445 posts, read 8,829,471 times
Man Califorinsuro…you haven’t traveled much have you – lol.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:40 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,459,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Man Califorinsuro…you haven’t traveled much have you – lol.
Yes, I've been in Florida on the way to Puerto Rico many times and love it but I also know what Florida is like during summer. People in the South literally live indoors all summer because it is so miserable outside. I don't think that is a very inviting climate if you run from your air conditioned house to your air conditioned car. Yes, it gets hot in California also [in-fact the warmest temp ever recorded in the U.S. was in California] but our climate allows for nice cool downs at night when most people turn off the AC and open all the windows and humidity levels are very low. You can never do that in Florida or Texas or Southern states until late autumn. And then you are hit with winter cold that is rarely ever experienced in Southern California. It isn't much of an argument when comparing climates between California and the rest of the nation when our winters are in the 60's & 70's and summers are in the 70's & 80's [though 90's if you live inland a ways]. Where else in America does one have such comfortable weather? Nowhere!

All this talk about cold Pacific ocean temps is misleading. Average ocean temps run from near 60F during winter to near 70F during summer. The East coast goes from 40's or lower during winter to 70's & 80's during winter except in Florida. Nobody surfs in cold Atlantic ocean temps for 6-8 months a year because you literally would freeze to death. Water temps are chilly along the California coast but they don't vary much from winter to summer unlike the East Coast that drops 40+ degrees each year. Waves are larger and better for surfing in California also unlike the pathetic surf along the East Coast. There is no real surf culture on the East Coast compared to California and Hawaii.
Here's is why California is the largest state in America

Old 09-17-2010, 03:47 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,744,624 times
Quick question. Is there always so much seaweed and crap laying all over the beaches in CA. I know whenever I've been there, there was quite a lot of it, but I always attributed it to me being there on the wrong days or something.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Quick question. Is there always so much seaweed and crap laying all over the beaches in CA. I know whenever I've been there, there was quite a lot of it, but I always attributed it to me being there on the wrong days or something.
Pretty much all city beaches are cleaned to remove both seaweed and garbage. During winter storms lots of debris will wash up on the beach more so than during summer.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:28 PM

654 posts, read 1,155,424 times
Other than surfing (not everyone surfs btw) I don't see any strengths that hold California beaches to a higher position over East Coast beaches. I like the comfortable waters of the East/Gulf Coast (Long Island on South), the water was even warmer than normal this year too.

Two different animals, I don't surf so what do I need with humongous waves, I never wore a wetsuit before and I don't want too if I'm just going to the beach. I'm not bashing California at all, I'm just being honest.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
Other than surfing (not everyone surfs btw) I don't see any strengths that hold California beaches to a higher position over East Coast beaches. I like the comfortable waters of the East/Gulf Coast (Long Island on South), the water was even warmer than normal this year too.

Two different animals, I don't surf so what do I need with humongous waves, I never wore a wetsuit before and I don't want too if I'm just going to the beach. I'm not bashing California at all, I'm just being honest.
So are you saying you prefer New York or Virginia beaches in December when the ocean temp is 45F or LA when it is 60F? It is so cold along the Northeast & Mid-Atlantic coast from November to May [35-55F] that any water contact would be insane. US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

Old 09-18-2010, 06:52 AM

12,083 posts, read 34,744,624 times
Quote:
So are you saying you prefer New York or Virginia beaches in December when the ocean temp is 45F or LA when it is 60F? It is so cold along the Northeast & Mid-Atlantic coast from November to May [35-55F] that any water contact would be insane. US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide
Considering this is a thread about what each individual likes and not a "right answer - wrong answer" thread, I can see people liking areas and beaches much better than California. I personally wouldn't live in an area that was around the same temperature year-round, and was boring as hell weather wise. I tried it for a few years and hated it. For me winter needs to have lots of snow and be cold, summers need to be warm but not too hot and have nice beaches. Winter is for snow skiing, snowshoeing, taking the kids sledding, snowmobiling, etc.... Summer is for laying on a warm sugar sand beach, hiking, biking, swimming in crystal clear fresh water, etc.... The same ol' same ol' gets old fast for me, I like the change of the seasons and seeing leaves change in the Fall, seeing snow falling in the winter, The trees budding out in the Spring, and the warm sun and green of summer.

Winters, I like looking out and seeing ice floating in the water, seeing the few brave (stupid) people trying their hand at being members of the "Polar bear club".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or