Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 03:09 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Here are some that I think may qualify as debatable, being in transition areas, or in no-man's land. Residents of those areas can tell me if my impressions are correct or not.

Midwest-West
Denver
Fargo
Sioux Falls

South-West
Dallas
Oklahoma City
I think you neglected "high plains" or "central us" as a region. Denver really isn't midwestern at all. Once you get west of say lincoln everything gets dry and the trees go away. The midwest around then ends IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 03:11 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Youve been away for awhile. All the bilals closed down because they sucked. Max's is aright. I love philly, i was born in west philly and raised in Mt. Airy but i dont love the people. They gotta do better and you know that. I dont live there now, probably for some of the same reasons why you no longer live there. I'm critical of it because i love it. You love it because u dont know what it used to be or what it has become. And whats with the disdain for the counties? I cant stand that us vs them mentality perpetuated by the little ppl. Kidphilly prolly knows what i'm talking about.
Hmm...I thought Halal Bilal was decent. To each his own. I guess now I know why I didn't see it last time I cruised up Broad. Then again, I just found out they tore down the Adams Mark off of City Line last year. I'm a little late on things, I know. I need to get home more (says my mom).

I am strongly considering moving back to Philly. I never understood why my parents chose to live there anyway, but after having paid rent/mortgage in DC, I now see why. Cities like DC and NYC are good for fun and beefing up the resume. Nothing more. Now that I'm getting closer to the altar by the day, I'm becoming more practical, and Philly was a good, affordable place to grow up for the most part. It's not like you sacrifice that much by living there. If my GF wants to stay in DC, she can get a job that will pay the $4400 mortgage for a tiny 3BR house in Northwest. I'll just take the $1500 mortgage in Mount Airy.

I didn't start any inner city vs. suburban kids warfare on this thread. You need to go back and look at your statement on our public schools.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:13 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Quote:
Here are some that I think may qualify as debatable, being in transition areas, or in no-man's land. Residents of those areas can tell me if my impressions are correct or not.

Midwest-Northeast
Pittsburgh
Erie
Buffalo
Rochester
Cleveland
This works.

Quote:
Northeast-South
Washington, DC
Charleston, WV
DC is on the border. Charleston is solidly southern.

Quote:
Midwest-South
Louisville
Tulsa
Springfield, MO
No. Those areas are solidly Southern. There's nothing Midwestern about those cities.

Quote:
Midwest-West
Denver
Fargo
Sioux Falls
Fargo and Sioux Falls are solidly Midwestern. Denver is solidly Western.

Quote:
South-West
Dallas
Oklahoma City
Solidly Southern.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:18 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
I think you neglected "high plains" or "central us" as a region. Denver really isn't midwestern at all. Once you get west of say lincoln everything gets dry and the trees go away. The midwest around then ends IMO.
If the "high plains" aren't Midwestern, then what are they? They don't fit with the West (Mountains/Deserts/Beaches) or the South. They have everything in common with the eastern Midwest except for less population and less rain. If anything, I'd be more inclined to drop Ohio from the Midwest, as it is really far east. It's even in the Eastern time zone (I know parts of Indiana and Michigan are too).

Old 09-13-2010, 03:20 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
Philly's schools are bad though. They are a local embarrasment, and should be fully privatized. I wasn't trying to offend you. I was just stating an obvious truth. They produce more convicts than graduates.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:23 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Philly's schools are bad though. They are a local embarrasment, and should be fully privatized. I wasn't trying to offend you. I was just stating an obvious truth. They produce more convicts than graduates.

Much of the public school system in Philly leaves a lot to be desired and to me is one of the biggest issues the city proper faces - that being said this discussion is likely best suited for another thread/forum

Old 09-13-2010, 03:29 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Quote:

Midwest-Northeast
Pittsburgh
Erie
Buffalo
Rochester
Cleveland

Northeast-South
Washington, DC
Charleston, WV

Midwest-South
Louisville
Tulsa
Springfield, MO

Midwest-West
Denver
Fargo
Sioux Falls

South-West
Dallas
Oklahoma City
Take out Rochester and Erie from the transition zone. There really isn't much midwestern about them and don't know of too many people in those places that identify with the midwest.
I'd take out Denver too. Not much midwestern about it.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:54 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
That's Dallas to a T.

Dallas has no identity, it only has stereotypes. It is the one city that most everyone in all areas of the world has heard of, but that no one knows anything about. Its changing so fast that it cant really have one.

The downside of that is that people default on old stereotypes (like the Dallas TV show) to tell them what Dallas is like. Of course, the city of Dallas is nothing like the TV show.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:13 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
If the "high plains" aren't Midwestern, then what are they? They don't fit with the West (Mountains/Deserts/Beaches) or the South. They have everything in common with the eastern Midwest except for less population and less rain. If anything, I'd be more inclined to drop Ohio from the Midwest, as it is really far east. It's even in the Eastern time zone (I know parts of Indiana and Michigan are too).
you know, i'm certain that you must be right. i checked wiki and it cites the census as agreeing with you ( Midwestern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).

i guess as we humans tend to do, we see us as the center of it all, even though when i look at a map ohio is clearly the most eastern state in the midwest. i didn't even think about most of the midwest not being in the eastern time zone

I don't think Denver is midwest, solidly west. There are no nearby competing population centers to muddle things up.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:19 PM

166 posts, read 367,352 times
The term "Up South" does not refer to the black people or any specific people in Philadelphia. "Up South" was a sarcastic term coined years ago by Black Americans to describe the type of de facto racism & discrimination that they encountered in ALL northern cities (NY, Chi, Detroit, Philly, Boston, etc.). Initially, blacks had a romanticized view of the North as a "promised land" where there was no racism. They immediately found out that the racism in the North could be just as virulent as the type of explicit, legalized racism that existed in the South.

Racial segregation & discrimination in the North wasn't enforced by the "law," it was enforced by unspoken rules and mores. You learned quickly which neighborhoods you could not move into, which blocks you couldn't walk down, which public swimming pools you could not swim in, etc. My father told me that when he first came to Philadelphia, blacks could not even work for SEPTA. They had to have a straight-up "northern" Civil Rights movement to change things over time--led in Philly by people such as Cecil B. Moore and the Reverend Leon Sullivan. And this same process occurred in ALL northern cities.

I was born and spent my earliest childhood years in South Philly (Passyunk Homes)--during the Rizzo years (I was born in 1971). I remember my dad getting pulled over by the cops frequently, for no reason, when we would pass through the Italian blocks between Passyunk and Christian Street where I attended a Catholic elementary school. My mom was straight out of Augusta, GA, and she didn't distinguish any difference between the racism in Philly and the racism down South.

NY was the other northern city where I had many relatives, and it was the same scenario in their history up there. Back in the '80s, I was actually in New York chilling at my Grand dad's spot when Yusef Hawkins was beat to death in Brooklyn.

It's sad that so many young people are being taught the myth that racism is and has always been just a southern thing. Back in the 60s, Malcolm X cautioned northern blacks to stop talking about the South, saying, "As long as you are South of the Canadian border, your are 'South.'" Dr. King and SCLC experienced that reality when they tried to take their movement to Chicago. They experienced a level of hatred and terror that rivaled anything that they had experienced in the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City