Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Philly the new 6th (NYC) borough?
Yes 3 3.45%
No 62 71.26%
No (But many similarites and relative proximity) 22 25.29%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:59 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,087,903 times

Advertisements

No true new yorker thinks of philly as a sixth borough. Philly is over an hour away from nyc how could it be
The whole sixth borough thing comes from areas that wished they were a sixth borough, i highly doubt phillidelphians,who live in a big city on its own merit, want to be apart of nyc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 10:01 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,235,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
No.. I consider North Jersey the 6th borough. I also think this thread's a big slap in the face to Philadelphians.
No, not North Jersey. Its too big and divided into many different counties, many suburban and even rural.

Sometimes HUDSON COUNTY is said to be the 6th borough. Its about the same size of the other boroughs and surrounds Manhattan and New York Bay like the other boroughs. It also has dense neighborhoods and its own history going back 400 years to the Dutch days.

The Bronx used to be part of the larger Westchester County, and there is even today a neighborhood called Westchester (or Westchester Square) in The Bronx.

In the same way, Hudson County used to be part of the larger Bergen County. This is why today the township of North Bergen is located in Hudson County not Bergen County itself.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:06 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,235,535 times
Btw, someone mentioned Yonkers. I never thought that made any sense.

Yonkers is simply too small, even smaller than Manhattan. And with less than half the population of Staten Island it is not populated enough.

Its also a city that is part of a larger county, Westchester. In order for it to be considered the 6th borough, Yonkers would need to be its own county.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:25 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,513,918 times
>>>LOL....NO...Philly has a very different cultural "vibe" relative to New York City and I think the state of Pennsylvania may chime in on the matter. ;-)

Old 09-13-2010, 10:29 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,424,316 times
No.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:09 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,889,775 times
But you have to admit their are a lot of NY'ers finding the COL in the Philly CSA attractive while still commuting to NYC everyday....and its a growing population....When I was in Philly last month I saw just as many NY plates as PA and NJ first time that caught my attention like that...

It wont be long before NJ is just this one big massive suburb that connects the 2 cities....and if NJT or SEPTA was allowed to provide commuter rail service between 30th and Penn Sta oh forget about it Philly would become overrun with NY'ers just because of the accessibility and COL alone.

Bucks county is already a strong bedroom community for NY commuters.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:12 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,089,850 times
Wasn't the "Sixth Borough" concept created by the writer of a travel-related magazine article that featured Philadelphia?

I've never heard anyone in the Philly Metro region refer to this area as the Sixth Borough.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:29 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
But you have to admit their are a lot of NY'ers finding the COL in the Philly CSA attractive while still commuting to NYC everyday....and its a growing population....When I was in Philly last month I saw just as many NY plates as PA and NJ first time that caught my attention like that...

It wont be long before NJ is just this one big massive suburb that connects the 2 cities....and if NJT or SEPTA was allowed to provide commuter rail service between 30th and Penn Sta oh forget about it Philly would become overrun with NY'ers just because of the accessibility and COL alone.

Bucks county is already a strong bedroom community for NY commuters.
What a surprise post. I'm surprised you spend so much time in Philly threads when there's so much to do in Pittsburgh.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:37 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,267,680 times
Why anybody would consider a completely different city, with it's own metro, that's 80 miles from NYC, to be a borough of NYC is absolutely beyond me.

I wouldn't mind .... but no part of Philly reminds me of New York...at ALL. It has a completely different vibe altogether.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:46 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,449,301 times
I think there are only 4 boroughs in New York to begin with. Staten Island should be considered the stepchild of the bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City