Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What mid-sized city is better?
Albuquerque 200 71.94%
Oklahoma city 78 28.06%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 06:16 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I'm pretty sure most people would agree that central Oklahoma is one of if not the ugliest area in the continental United States. Oklahoma has some scenic beauty but it isn't anywhere near OKC. Drive a few hours in any direction from OKC (except due north) and it's much prettier. That is and always will be something working against OKC, even if all of the other negatives weren't factors.
Hmmm, though the topography was unremarkable not sure if west is better as OKC was a very welcome sight after coming from Amarillo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 06:56 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Hmmm, though the topography was unremarkable not sure if west is better as OKC was a very welcome sight after coming from Amarillo.
Amarillo has Palo Duro Canyon though right in its backyard. I agree though, the eastern Texas Panhandle is pretty bad. I still prefer the treeless rolling plains to OKC's topography which is flat and covered with shrubby, scraggly trees.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:49 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
If I was choosing between these 2 cities. Then ABQ would win. Better scenery, better climate and much more live let live culture, OKC is Tornado territory every single year. That in itself would be enough to eliminate that area. Plus its far to conservative for me. So my vote went to ABQ.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:08 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure most people would agree that central Oklahoma is one of if not the ugliest area in the continental United States. Oklahoma has some scenic beauty but it isn't anywhere near OKC. Drive a few hours in any direction from OKC (except due north) and it's much prettier. That is and always will be something working against OKC, even if all of the other negatives weren't factors.
I don't find this to be completely true. There are plenty of trees and vegetation driving North, East and Southeast out of OKC. Drove through the city once and although it's not the most beautiful place I've ever seen, it's nowhere near as horrid as so many people on here claim it is. A decent up and coming city with a lot of potential and some underrated pockets of beauty imo.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:48 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
If I was choosing between these 2 cities. Then ABQ would win. Better scenery, better climate and much more live let live culture, OKC is Tornado territory every single year. That in itself would be enough to eliminate that area. Plus its far to conservative for me. So my vote went to ABQ.
I agree with this as well. OKC overall is hyperconservative and is pretty much the capital of Trump country. The city does have a few liberal pockets but overall it lives up to its conservative reputation. The culture is also heavily influenced by the Southern Baptist Church and many aspects of living in OKC feel downright churchy. With that said, now is kind of a weird time in Oklahoma politics history. Two things have happened that nobody ever thought would; full strength beer (it was 3.2% up until last year, like Utah), and medical marijuana. On the other hand, the state legislature right now seems only concerned with abortion and gun issues.

As for the weather, I would rank it dead last among the major US cities. There's absolutely no redeeming qualities of this climate. Even if it wasn't for OKC's negatives like its lacking in urbanity, lack of amenities, and its conservative, churchy culture, the weather and topography are the two biggest strikes against it.

The one thing OKC has going for it is it's cheap. But I say it's cheap for a reason.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:25 PM

793 posts, read 1,110,908 times
Quote:
I agree with this as well. OKC overall is hyperconservative and is pretty much the capital of Trump country. The city does have a few liberal pockets but overall it lives up to its conservative reputation. The culture is also heavily influenced by the Southern Baptist Church and many aspects of living in OKC feel downright churchy. With that said, now is kind of a weird time in Oklahoma politics history. Two things have happened that nobody ever thought would; full strength beer (it was 3.2% up until last year, like Utah), and medical marijuana. On the other hand, the state legislature right now seems only concerned with abortion and gun issues.

As for the weather, I would rank it dead last among the major US cities. There's absolutely no redeeming qualities of this climate. Even if it wasn't for OKC's negatives like its lacking in urbanity, lack of amenities, and its conservative, churchy culture, the weather and topography are the two biggest strikes against it.

The one thing OKC has going for it is it's cheap. But I say it's cheap for a reason.
False. The whole inner city is blue. And Oklahoma County just voted for a Democratic US Representative.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:28 AM

80 posts, read 65,856 times
Quote:

If OKC is Trump capital, why did it vote for Hillary in all precincts in the core of the city? Why was it the only city to vote for a democratic governor (Tulsa voted republican)? Why did it just elect the only democratic state congresswoman? OKC has been blue for going on 3 election cycles now. You don’t get an extremely red area until you get out of the city towards Bethany, Mustang, Yukon, Del City, Moore and Edmond. Everything in between is blue and won’t change anytime soon.

Almost everything you say on here is not true of OKC in general. As someone that lives and operates primarily in the central core of the city, I can say I haven’t interacted with a hyper-conservative person in years. Nobody is out here pushing political or religious beliefs on people. The culture is very live and let live. Looking at the last few national, state, and local elections, the OKC metro is far and away the most blue area of the state. Central OKC and Norman are about as blue as you can expect in an overall red state. The central districts of OKC just elected 2 young, very left leaning city council members who ran on promoting public transit, walkability, programs for mental health and prison reform, education programs and many more issues that tend to be more of a focus of the left side of the aisle.

You never state what part of the city you live in, or where you go for fun, or anything for that matter, because it would probably indicate you don’t live in the core of the city, you don’t interact with the arts and culture districts, you don’t branch out and interact with the surprisingly young and vibrant population living in the core that actually aligns with your political and religious views, and you don’t accept the facts staring you in the face that OKC is getting bluer by the day, and implementing progressive policies at the city and state level that were never possible a decade ago. If you actually went out in the city, you would know all of this already though.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:07 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
I don't think Oklahoma City has an ideal climate, but worst in the nation? There is a lot more sunshine than just about anywhere in the Midwest, Northeast and Pacific Northwest; the summer humidity isn't as excessive or persistent for so many months as coastal parts of the South; and while harsh winter weather does occur, I would expect former Great Lakes area residents of OKC have no problem with how quickly the snow and ice melts most of the time. Having frequent weather changes also helps disperse the sort of air pollution that is a significant problem in many scenic, western cities at certain times of the year.

That said, on a climate basis alone I think Albuquerque would tend to be more pleasant on average for outdoor activities. But climates featuring harsh, extreme weather at certain times of the year are present in most major US cities. Oklahoma City is not unique in that respect, but at least it can have relatively pleasant days in any season as well - something places like Houston, Minneapolis or Buffalo (among others) arguably cannot offer.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:52 PM

80 posts, read 65,856 times
Of course when bawac34618 gets hit with facts, he retreats to other threads where he can continue bashing OKC until someone else comes along and completely dismantles his false narrative that he tries to peddle around here.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:03 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
etc, etc, ...........You name it!

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 978x351 and weights 560KB. http://i53.tinypic.com/2pr9oci.png

If you place a mountain behind Oklahoma City , OKC hands down , but since there's no mountain "Albuquerque Hands Down"..now let's look at
the OP CRITERIA.....

FOOD....ALQ because of the diversity of restaurants
within the city...OKC has made progress in leaps and
bounds on the quality and diversity of "restaurants
they have to offer"...

QUALITY OF LIFE.....ALQ take a look at some of these
picture of the metro alq area , and decide for yourself...
(BUT) if you are a "Urban Purist"..OKC wins hands down...(TIE) between ALQ Natural Beauty....and OKC
ARCHITECTURE and Urban Developments....

SCHOOLS.....OKC

WEATHER.....ALQ

PEOPLE.....Take Your Pick...That's Subjective , if I could
move my family and friends to ALQ I would choose ALQ ,
but they aren't going any place..they staying in OKC and
TULSA.....LOL....

A lot has changed since 2010 , Oklahoma City Oklahoma now is a much better city to live in than ABQ New Mexico . However Albuquerque retains its Edge as a vacation hot spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City