Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 02:49 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
was that a shot at me?
Not at all. I was just saying that I didnt care, and I dont. I grew up in LA so Ive seen this before (the whole city being flooded by Hispanics and turning overwhelmingly Hispanic in a period of 15 years). This is a newer concept in Dallas so some are having a harder time adjusting to it, but I believe that they will in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 03:09 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Not at all. I was just saying that I didnt care, and I dont. I grew up in LA so Ive seen this before (the whole city being flooded by Hispanics and turning overwhelmingly Hispanic in a period of 15 years). This is a newer concept in Dallas so some are having a harder time adjusting to it, but I believe that they will in the end.
a lot of people would not have a hard time adjusting to it if the transition was smoother, must it just shocks the senses

Old 09-22-2010, 03:28 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
a lot of people would not have a hard time adjusting to it if the transition was smoother, must it just shocks the senses
It really is. My dad who lives in Houston and is fascinated with this stuff as much as I am always said that Dallas resists demographic swings more because its new to Dallas. Houston has been international and diverse for years and has had a steady stream of it. Dallas just became that way in the last 15-20 years and all their international residents (especially from Latin America) showed up in huge quantities in a short period of time. As a result its a shock to the system.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:42 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
The OP is referring to the suburbs of the city. In that here is how I rank:
1. Miami
2. Houston
3. Dallas and Atlanta

IMO< the suburbs of DFW and ATL are heavily self-segregated as most SOuthern cities are. The cities themselves may be heavily integrated however.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:33 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
1. Miami
2. Houston
3. Dallas and Atlanta

IMO< the suburbs of DFW and ATL are heavily self-segregated as most SOuthern cities are. The cities themselves may be heavily integrated however.
I think the OP is looking for both:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
If you had to categorize a set of four Southern cities on racial & ethnic diversity, as well as being integrated how would the following cities rank: Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami (from 1- being the most racially & ethnically diverse and integrated to 4- being the least diverse and least integrated)? How you rank these cities suburban areas, according to same specifications?
Houston is not a slouch on its suburbs either, Sugar land and Missouri city are more diverse than any in Miami. Katy and Pearland are becoming more and more diverse, I don't know why you would make such a wild assumption. There are a few subs that are not as diverse, but on a whole, there are many diverse burbs in Houston

Old 09-22-2010, 04:42 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
yes it is true about the hispanics. but they don't have the anchor or history that blacks and whites have in dallas. the influx of immigrants is reshaping the demographics of neighborhoods in dfw, but over the past few decades south dallas has been known for blacks while north dallas has been known for whites
Do you know that there are 28 county on the csa and 10 that are consider the core of Metro Atlanta.The 10 are most certainly well mixed with black everywhere.The Atlanta has blacks EVERYWHERE.Your HALVES thing is preposterous!The far flung Northern suburbs are very white(wealthy).Like N.Forsyth,Cherokee,Bartow,Hall,and Barrow.

The area that is in Atlanta North MSA's today,was all white mainly as late as 1986.So yes they are majority white but so are the ones in the South.There are only 1 or two counties that are just barely majority black.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
That's pretty much it.

Half of southwest, the Tri Cities, and Clayco is made up of either broke, poor, working class, or lower middle class black people with a few middle class and upper middle class black folks. Same goes for the east side, but only ITP and not to the level it was 15 years ago.

On the far west side, northside and the rest of the east side the majority black people there are either middle class, upper class, or wealthy. There is more to the divide than just skin color. There is a definite economic factor to it.
Exactly .Al Green does not understand that.But the South side also is Fayette,Henry,Coweta,Newton.All of those are by far mostly white.He like people who live here think everything Southside always means the "the SWATS" ,intead of outside of the perimeter.

Also what about East and West?Do they not exist?

Old 09-22-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
1. Miami
2. Houston
3. Dallas and Atlanta

What suburbs in Atlanta otherthan by CLASS are self segregated?This is news to me.I really want to know.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:46 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Even the most conservative dont want to. The Republicans in Texas know what side their bread is buttered on (lots of illegals=a big pool of cheap labor). The Republicans here are pro big business more than anything. As president, George W actually wanted to make it easier for them to come. I read stories of his younger years where he protested the deportation of several families in the Midland area.

Either way, its too late for both Dallas, San Antonio, El Paso, Houston, and every town/city in the valley (and soon to be Fort Worth and Austin too). They are already majority Hispanic and thats probably going to continue to push in that direction.

I personally dont care, but some people seem to.
Its a two way street IMO. Both Dems & Reps tell the people what they think they want to hear. What ever gets them the vote.

For illegal immigration to ever fully stop we're going to need more vigilante types & armed forces to step up patrol at the borders.

A fence & wall will slow them down, but a bullet to the dome will stop them for good.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:59 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Its a two way street IMO. Both Dems & Reps tell the people what they think they want to hear. What ever gets them the vote.

For illegal immigration to ever fully stop we're going to need more vigilante types & armed forces to step up patrol at the borders.

A fence & wall will slow them down, but a bullet to the dome will stop them for good.
I hope you're not serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City