U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 01:17 PM

1,487 posts, read 6,788,034 times

Advertisements

If you had to categorize a set of four Southern cities on racial & ethnic diversity, as well as being integrated how would the following cities rank: Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami (from 1- being the most racially & ethnically diverse and integrated to 4- being the least diverse and least integrated)? How you rank these cities suburban areas, according to same specifications?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 02:26 PM

4,230 posts, read 8,436,552 times
Out of those four Houston is probably the most integrated, but it is still separated.
All of these cities have population diversity, but the main ethnic groups in these cities are still largely to themselves. I personally would name NOLA as the most integrated. There is large amount of racial integration between blacks, whites, Asians, and Hispanics (minus Mexicans) that I have never seen anywhere else in the south. Where else does a majority black city vote in white and Vietnamese politicians over blacks?

Old 09-18-2010, 02:52 PM

17,630 posts, read 24,003,613 times
1. Houston
2. Miami
3. Dallas
4. Atlanta

I think Houston is the most integrated out of the four.
I think Miami is the most diverse out of the four.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:14 PM

967 posts, read 1,468,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Out of those four Houston is probably the most integrated, but it is still separated.
All of these cities have population diversity, but the main ethnic groups in these cities are still largely to themselves. I personally would name NOLA as the most integrated. There is large amount of racial integration between blacks, whites, Asians, and Hispanics (minus Mexicans) that I have never seen anywhere else in the south. Where else does a majority black city vote in white and Vietnamese politicians over blacks?
Most White folks in that area fled to Metairie and Kenner first, and over to St. Tammany Parish next and elected David Duke as their state representative.

The most recent election results may have to do with the fact that there are still quite a few displaced New Orleanians that haven't came back to the city post-Katrina. Weren't most of the housing projects closed? That's one way to cut down on a certain demographic from coming back...

As for this poll, Houston, then Miami not too far behind.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Most White folks in that area fled to Metairie and Kenner first, and over to St. Tammany Parish next and elected David Duke as their state representative.
Even so, the ethnicities are still more integrated than you're going to find anywhere else. Also with the exception of St. Tammany which isn't as white as people think (at least the portions in the N.O. metro) even the whiter parts of the area are not divided as sharply as you'll find in other areas.

Come into the city proper and all of that is thrown out of the window. You won't find million dollar homes on one block and a housing project on the next in too many places without some type of NIMBYism going on. The only time racism becomes an issue in the city is when politics are involved, other than that it's often calm on the racial front.

Quote:
The most recent election results may have to do with the fact that there are still quite a few displaced New Orleanians that haven't came back to the city post-Katrina. Weren't most of the housing projects closed? That's one way to cut down on a certain demographic from coming back...
New Orleans is 10% whiter Post-K. You really think that it makes that much of a difference? Only 15% of the population is still missing at this point.
You can have section 8 without housing projects.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:58 PM

12,523 posts, read 21,096,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
1. Houston
2. Miami
3. Dallas
4. Atlanta

I think Houston is the most integrated out of the four.
I think Miami is the most diverse out of the four.
How is Miami more diverse than Houston?

Over 90 languages are spoken throughout the Houston area. The city is home to foreign consulates from almost every major nation in the World. Houston has the largest Nigerian population & 3rd largest Vietnamese population in America. It also has one of the largest Indian & Pakistani populations. There are also lots of other Asians like Filipino, Chinese, & Korean which each have their own communities.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Over 90 languages are spoken throughout the Houston area. The city is home to foreign consulates from almost every major nation in the World. Houston has the largest Nigerian population & 3rd largest Vietnamese population in America. It also has one of the largest Indian & Pakistani populations. There are also lots of other Asians like Filipino, Chinese, & Korean which each have their own communities.
I'm quite sure that the variety of blacks and Hispanics in Miami out number those in Houston regardless of the % of population that they make up. As far as Asians I don't know.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:10 PM

12,523 posts, read 21,096,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I'm quite sure that the variety of blacks and Hispanics in Miami out number those in Houston regardless of the % of population that they make up. As far as Asians I don't know.
Miami has no Chinatown or Koreantown that I'm aware of.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Miami has no Chinatown or Koreantown that I'm aware of.
How many types of Asians are there in Houston compared to Miami? Same with Europeans, etc.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:46 PM

883 posts, read 1,833,156 times
Quote:

That statement is bound to stir up trouble.

Miami has a more diverse Latin American population, I think it goes w/o mentioning that it has a more diverse Caribbean population(I place it under the Latin American category, but other's don't) and a more diverse European population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City