Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 08:37 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
You do understand this is a mathmatic impossibility, correct? But then again why not agree it fits your story, why let the FACTS get in the way of good story...
again that was your buddies numbers, I will use your numbers if it will make you feel better, Philly is still listed in the same area 13/14th most dense at the UA level.

my point in it up is that you always praise Philly's density while bringing down the sunbelt densities (especially Phoenix and Houston, but look, even in your own numbers both cities are higher than Philly. why do use UA as an abstract metric and density as another.

why not look at the density of the UA? something more meaningful

you guys always complain that the sunbelt cities are too large and we should look at the density. well the UA is a good way to look at where the action is in the city cause the msa includes stuff like lakes,. well on the uA we are denser than yall and phoenix is much denser. how do you explain that one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 08:38 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
how can Philly's be larger when on your list it is lower than both Houston and Dallas? lol and why don't you list LA and SF as sunbelt cities? why do you hate the sunbelt so much? give it its due respect dude. 88% of the countries growth over the next 20 years is predicted to be in the sunbelt

Population wise in the UA is where Philly is larger, considerably - do have problems with reading comprehension (I will admit my grammar is not always stellar)

I honestly have no issue with the sunbelt, I dont like most of the suburban composition but have no issue with the place. Charleston, Savannah, NOLA, and even Atlanta (which has been growing on me) are some of my favorite cities in the country. I also enjoy time in Miami. I Love San Diego (so again technically a sun belt city though top of mind to me is moreso West Coast). I really enjoy a lot of NC, and like Ft Worth etc.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
These Dense crazed queens on this site.. Its going to be a never ending story. Htown why do we even bother we should should let them have this so they can feel better in there spirit
ha ha, they look very stupid making these outlandish comments

Old 09-23-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
again that was your buddies numbers, I will use your numbers if it will make you feel better, Philly is still listed in the same area 13/14th most dense at the UA level.

my point in it up is that you always praise Philly's density while bringing down the sunbelt densities (especially Phoenix and Houston, but look, even in your own numbers both cities are higher than Philly. why do use UA as an abstract metric and density as another.

why not look at the density of the UA? something more meaningful

you guys always complain that the sunbelt cities are too large and we should look at the density. well the UA is a good way to look at where the action is in the city cause the msa includes stuff like lakes,. well on the uA we are denser than yall and phoenix is much denser. how do you explain that one?
Ok Phx is denser at the UA, Philly is far denser by city, Philly is far larger in UA population and Phoenix is larger in city population. same argument HTown. All I posted in this thread is the largest Urban Areas in the country, I have no issues discussing density, but lets at least post and reply to accurate numbers here

Is density of a city more meaningful than population size? Just curious, I have no issues discussing either

And on your point about Philly as 13th or 14th yes it is on density of UA, so is Houston like 50 in terms of city on density, is that how to rank them? All play a factor, I actually think that the similarity of the density among Dallas/Houston/Philly speaks to why this metric may be a better baramoter of size, it is counting like developed areas of the metros, why all the facts are good and no one metric is perfect

Old 09-23-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
You can not deny that for a city the size of Houston, it lacks an abundance of walkable neighborhodos. Yes the areas you posted are fairly walkable, but the public transit (which is part of walkability IMO), sucks. 90% of the people who dont live directly in those neighborhoods drive there. Hell, I would bet that the peopel who DO live in those neighborhoods probably drive in that area.

THose neighborhoods are more walkable in the sense that there are a few square blocks that you can park your car and walk around for lunch and shopping....
the very hood you said that was not walkable is the one that I posted, now you are saying it is walkable? will you make up your mind?

you can't because you don't know what you are talking about. just make it easier on yourself and shut up. when you have something truthful to saw you can talk

Old 09-23-2010, 08:47 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times
Quote:
the very hood you said that was not walkable is the one that I posted, now you are saying it is walkable? will you make up your mind?

you can't because you don't know what you are talking about. just make it easier on yourself and shut up. when you have something truthful to saw you can talk
haha...why are you getting worked up over city data forum?

They are walkable by sunbelt standards, but compared to Northeast cities/Chicago they are not overly walkable....What do you mean I dont know what I am talking about, while you are posting silly scores from walking websites, I am going by personal experience.

It sounds like you have some anger issues (who tells somebody on a forum about cities to shut up), im sure your the toughest internet guy out there....have fun in Houston, Im about to board a plane.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Ok Phx is denser at the UA, Philly is far denser by city, Philly is far larger in UA population and Phoenix is larger in city population. same argument HTown. All I posted in this thread is the largest Urban Areas in the country, I have no issues discussing density, but lets at least post and reply to accurate numbers here
you missed what I was saying. Houston for example has the huge bay in the msa, it has two parks that are 10 000 sq feet and 400 other smaller parks, it has the space center which takes up lots of space, and some major lakes.

when you take out all that crap and you look at UA for UA we are denser than y'all.

you are larger in UA population because your UA is far far bigger and spread out. if you shrink down the UA to Phoenix's UA size then your UA will be much smaller (How do you like that logic? I stole it from you and Killakoolaide)

Old 09-23-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
haha...why are you getting worked up over city data forum?

They are walkable by sunbelt standards, but compared to Northeast cities/Chicago they are not overly walkable....What do you mean I dont know what I am talking about, while you are posting silly scores from walking websites, I am going by personal experience.

It sounds like you have some anger issues (who tells somebody on a forum about cities to shut up), im sure your the toughest internet guy out there....have fun in Houston, Im about to board a plane.
the walkable scores are standard.

I will have fun here, I always do.

I am not worked up I just correct ignorance when I see it, and your post was dripping ignorance.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
you missed what I was saying. Houston for example has the huge bay in the msa, it has two parks that are 10 000 sq feet and 400 other smaller parks, it has the space center which takes up lots of space, and some major lakes.

when you take out all that crap and you look at UA for UA we are denser than y'all.

you are larger in UA population because your UA is far far bigger and spread out. if you shrink down the UA to Phoenix's UA size then your UA will be much smaller (How do you like that logic? I stole it from you and Killakoolaide)

The Philly MSA, Has a bay, the largest Urban park in the US, a huge national forrest, a huge National park, a huge AF and Army base etc. and all in the 5,000 sq miles All palces have parks and business centers etc. it all evens out - is Houston the only MSA that has this dynamic? One would think based on your post

Actually no HTown - shrunk down the philly UA SIGNIFICANTLY Increases in density and the VAST VAST majority of population is closer to the core - you are making stuff up here seriously. Philly only shows more strength the tighter to the core you go HTown - what are you talking about - there are nearly 4 million people in the core 600 sq miles (parks and all, the size of the city of Houston). I follow your point but they are flawed in your takeaway and facts- the density of the Philly UA is diminished not from the core but the burbs, not the core, and if you read back i have always thought 1,000 ppsm is far too low a number for urban anyway

Old 09-23-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
The Philly MSA, Has a bay, the largest Urban park in the US, a huge national forrest, a huge National park, a huge AF and Army base etc. and all in the 5,000 sq miles All palces have parks and business centers etc. it all evens out - is Houston the only MSA that has this dynamic? One would think based on your post

Actually no HTown - shrunk down the philly UA SIGNIFICANTLY Increases in density and the VAST VAST majority of population is closer to the core - you are making stuff up here seriously. Philly only shows more strength the tighter to the core you go HTown - what are you talking about - there are nearly 4 million people in the core 600 sq miles (parks and all, the size of the city of Houston). I follow your point but they are flawed in your takeaway and facts- the density of the Philly UA is diminished not from the core but the burbs, not the core, and if you read back i have always thought 1,000 ppsm is far too low a number for urban anyway
every city lays claim to having the largest urban park in the uS, from this lists that I have seen Philly was never near the top. send me a link so that next time it comes up Philly will be a contender.

Anyway, I Believe Phoenix (16000 acres) or Virginia (12000 acres) are on top.

Fairmont park is smaller than GB park in Houston and Cullen park in Houston, and houston wasn't even in the top 3.

anyway you do agree that parks and bays should be taken out of the discussion right? when you remove them Phoenix whomps you guys butts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City