Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 09:25 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times

Advertisements

The 100 Largest City Parks 2007 — Infoplease.com

there is a list of the biggest urban parks. The ones not controlled by a municipality are indicated with a one or a two. if you remove these you get the top four being:

1. South Mountain Preserve 16,283 Phoenix, Ariz.
2. Carvins Cove Natural Reserve 12,700 Roanoke, Va.
3. McDowell Sonoran Preserve 11,250 Scottsdale, Ariz.
4. Cullen Park 8,270 Houston, Tex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 09:29 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
every city lays claim to having the largest urban park in the uS, from this lists that I have seen Philly was never near the top. send me a link so that next time it comes up Philly will be a contender.

Anyway, I Believe Phoenix (16000 acres) or Virginia (12000 acres) are on top.

Fairmont park is smaller than GB park in Houston and Cullen park in Houston, and houston wasn't even in the top 5.

anyway you do agree that parks and bays should be taken out of the discussion right? when you remove them Phoenix whomps you guys butts

What metric are you talking about HTown - MSA, UA there is no water etc in the UA areas, it is in some MSAs - so is more than 5,000 sq miles of houstons' MSA parks or water? Actually is more than 5,500 sq miles parks or water, then it owuld be the same size as Phillys MSA

I am fine with taking them out - then do so and give the sizes - ALL places MSAs have this dynamic, is Houston or Pheonix somehow being penalized?

I will state again - UA land area does NOT include those areas! Another reaso it is a better metric IMHO

BTW Fairmont park is 10,000 acres all within the city itself. Valley Forge National Park is 7,500 acres in KOP just two of the larger parks in the area

Old 09-23-2010, 09:35 AM

And this discussion is on UA, the parks whatever are not included in the area calculation anyway - back on topic HTown

Old 09-23-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And this discussion is on UA, the parks whatever are not included in the area calculation anyway - back on topic HTown
Quote:
What metric are you talking about HTown - MSA, UA there is no water etc in the UA areas, it is in some MSAs - so is more than 5,000 sq miles of houstons' MSA parks or water? Actually is more than 5,500 sq miles parks or water, then it owuld be the same size as Phillys MSA

I am fine with taking them out - then do so and give the sizes - ALL places MSAs have this dynamic, is Houston or Pheonix somehow being penalized?

I will state again - UA land area does NOT include those areas! Another reaso it is a better metric IMHO

BTW Fairmont park is 10,000 acres all within the city itself. Valley Forge National Park is 7,500 acres in KOP just two of the larger parks in the area

thats what I am saying, they are not included, so whay are you always looking at density for MSA and not UA. is it because it is not a good stat for philly?

Old 09-23-2010, 11:32 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Do we really need to continuously address the whole Houston vs Philly BS in every thread??? It's annoying.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Do we really need to continuously address the whole Houston vs Philly BS in every thread??? It's annoying.
Houston just passed Philly in metro size so I can see why he is upset and finding new metrics to up Houston on

Old 09-23-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
thats what I am saying, they are not included, so whay are you always looking at density for MSA and not UA. is it because it is not a good stat for philly?

because the density you showed earlier in the thread earlier for Philadelphia had a numerator of the Philly UA population and denominator of the Philly MSA sq miles, it seemed odd, why where you intermingling data. It also had CSA combined UAs and then for some they purely based on non census UA counts. I found it odd and why I brought up the the other comparisons.

Why I said it best to stick to the topic and data related.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Houston just passed Philly in metro size so I can see why he is upset and finding new metrics to up Houston on

HTown since I started posted I have ALWAYS said UA is a better metric to compare urban place sizes. DMA is the best to describe area population. And for the record again I will state because neither if contiginent on municipal boundary (well UA is but they are built on census block which is a like characteristic accross all metros)
MSA, CSA, and City are dissimilar between areas because they combine areas that are influenced by municipal land area.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
because the density you showed earlier in the thread earlier for Philadelphia had a numerator of the Philly UA population and denominator of the Philly MSA sq miles, it seemed odd, why where you intermingling data. It also had CSA combined UAs and then for some they purely based on non census UA counts. I found it odd and why I brought up the the other comparisons.

Why I said it best to stick to the topic and data related.
I was not intermingling data, I cut and pasted from that link your fellow PA poster. I don't have time to calculate that crap, and I am not as nefarious as Philly posters to do that. Your clan are the only ones I see manipulating data to make y'alls city look better.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I was not intermingling data, I cut and pasted from that link your fellow PA poster. I don't have time to calculate that crap, and I am not as nefarious as Philly posters to do that. Your clan are the only ones I see manipulating data to make y'alls city look better.

I havent minipulated one piece of data HTown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City