Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 05:13 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I used the 2008 UA Census estimates- the most recent ones, so DFW picked up 1 million people in a year

American FactFinder

above is the link

I have seen your data before it is NOT based on the census criteria for UA, it even includes combined CSAs for certain areas
UA doesn't follow city, metro or CSA limits they go by what their name says.

Why don't yall go like NOLA, once the king city west of the Atlantic, but now a gracefull city steeped in History never trying to compete with anyone.

NOLA is NOLA, can't Philly be philly instead of trying to create metrics to keep it above the rising cities?

I can see you in 20 years rattling off to the grandkids how back in your day Philly was the bees knees and all these young upstarts are trying to take over (by then the young upstarts would have taken over for 4 decades)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 06:17 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
What facts? Everything I just stated was a fact.

I'm not a sir or a ma'am. I work for a living.

Sir/Maam the facts are Houston And Dallas are bigger than Philadelphia live with it

Old 09-22-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
MSA's are useless because the definitions are not consistent throughout the country.

MSA in the sunbelt means something very different than MSA in the Northeast.

Aww so now there useless since Philly has been surpassed..

Old 09-22-2010, 06:34 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Sir/Maam the facts are Houston And Dallas are bigger than Philadelphia live with it
Unwillingness to accept an obvious truth, is one of the hallmarks of jealousy.

Those stuck in the massive suburbs of the sunbelt are obviously jealous of something in Philly. But jealousy is ok, its a natural human emotion.

With that, I'm done humoring you country bumkins.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:39 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I dunno what Kidphilly is on about, the bay area is one big urban area. But if something is ranked above Philly, he will argue to the death that it is not. The UA I posted for the area is much closer to reality than what he posted.

Actually HTown, Philly is part of UA that is continuously populated with more than 23 million

Source US Census American FactFinder

And on 2009 estimates they are from World conferance on planning, they use a different criteria than does the Census and once again posted the link used FROM THE US CENSUS for the 2008 US CENSUS estimates. You are clearly either a pain or just plain biligerant

Here is the Philly UA - It connects from DE (actually a small sliver of MD just north of the Baltimore MSA)in the South up to Long Islan and CT through the Trenton UA and Directly into the NY UA but is cut on municpal boudaries. Also on the bay area comparison, one the commuter rates between the Mercer MSA and Philly MSA is much higher (24.8% in 2000) than the SJ/SF MSAs and also less than half the distance and are not combined. Also the Reading UA 280K (directly connected is cut from the number and as close as SJ is to SF) Allentown/Beth also ~the same distance has an additional 700K in the UA not counted either, nor is the Vineland NJ UA at 100K. So yes I agree SF is large but does not have near the population in continuous UA. Also on the mountain rational, should AC be added to Philly (on the map below the whole yellow area That large yellow blob in the middle of S Jersey) between Philly and AC is the National forrest that at each border is completely developed, you are not allowed to build in it.

Lastly for the Bay on being one big area the continuous UA the area between Philly and NYC is far larger and far more continuously populated (23-24 million). The census excludes areas in seperate MSAs in their coninuous UA count.

Here is SF on same scale (185 miles across)

Last edited by kidphilly; 09-22-2010 at 07:04 PM..

Old 09-22-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Unwillingness to accept an obvious truth, is one of the hallmarks of jealousy.

Those stuck in the massive suburbs of the sunbelt are obviously jealous of something in Philly. But jealousy is ok, its a natural human emotion.

With that, I'm done humoring you country bumkins.
Lol and those in Philly stuck in the ever decayIng slums..and trashed streets . Unwilling too see that your time in the limelight is over .. It's RiSe of the sunbelt.. You had your time accept the fact and move on..

I'm tired of humoring with you arrogant urban dense crazed Yankees..

Last edited by MikeandIke27; 09-22-2010 at 06:55 PM..

Old 09-22-2010, 07:05 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,323 times
Quote:
Lol and those in Philly stuck in the ever decayIng slums..and trashed streets . Unwilling too see that your time in the limelight is over .. It's RiSe of the sunbelt.. You had your time accept the fact and move on..

Well, that's pretty uncalled for. Philadelphia is by far a greater city than anything you'd find in Texas, or the south for that matter. The sunbelt is having it's booming period for now. I'm sure things will have died down greatly by 2020. The things that allow the sunbelt to rise to "greatness" will be the same factors that eventually bring about its demise. Car centric planning will only allow these cities to sprawl so far, and an infill is going to cost a ton of money and be very difficult to get going.

Houston and Dallas can brag all they want that they've surpassed Philadelphia in population, but most people would agree that Philadelphia is by far the superior city.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Aww so now there useless since Philly has been surpassed..

no not useless just no more relevant than are CSA, UA, DMA, City etc depending on the comparison. To make a blanket statement that either Philly is bigger than Houston or Houston is inaccurate dependoing on the criteria, BTW the 2010 early estimate had Houston less than 20K ahead of Philly not statistically different and within the error range, either way it will pass unless counties are added back to the Philly MSA.

On UA (larger Urban area), CSA (Larger expaned Metro) and DMA (the largest margin nearly 30% larger based on proximity of population and media markets) DMA Rankings - US TV Households by Market (http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettrack/US_HH_by_DMA.asp - broken link) Philly is still considerably larger

Last edited by kidphilly; 09-22-2010 at 07:20 PM..

Old 09-22-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:

The 55 million people who live those so called time over-ed,end of limelight places will be just fine with largest economies, best education, highest incomes, best urban cities and most cultural locations. Get out of your car once in a while and experience what a city can offer. Because honestly there are good things going on in the sunbelt cities

BTW it is not about density it is about vibrancy, car oriented neighborhoods by and large offer no where near the level of vibrance provided by more dense neighborhoods. But honestly we all get to choose where we live and that is really a great thing about this country

Old 09-22-2010, 07:32 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,715 times
What, yet another OCD post by Kidphilly to prove to us how Philadelphia is the #4 city based on whatever metric he came up with plus whining about the US Census again? What is this, a day that ends in "Y"?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City