Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 03:55 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,394,410 times

Advertisements

Some links

Detroit Fashion Pages
Detroit Fashion Pages (http://www.detroitfashionpages.com/fashion/fashion-491.asp - broken link)
HourDetroit
Detroit, Michigan-Stories, Restaurants, Events, Clubs, Resources
Metromodemedia
Detroit Fashion: State of the Art?
Detroit Fashion Week
http://detroitfashionweek.com/home/ (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 04:06 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
SF/Bay Area isn't quite a fashion capital, but it does host Levi Strauss and the Gap (and its subsidiaries). Don't really see anything identifiable as a SF fashion sensibility though.
certainly not, it gets an extension out a bit from LA however, same thing Vegas does.

I don't think the cities around NYC do however... please correct me if I am wrong? Also I believe SF has more transplants from LA than anywhere else.
bebe and North Face are also in SF...

Old 09-26-2010, 04:07 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,757,440 times
Here's some stuff out of my closet.

Oaklandish/5733 tee:

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/9733/dsc01449a.jpg (broken link)

Russo Jeans:

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/5217/dsc01451e.jpg (broken link)

Live Mechanics Jacques Cousteau Jacket:

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/6580/dsc01452g.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Nineties Flava; 09-26-2010 at 04:16 PM..

Old 09-26-2010, 04:11 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
Maybe for Chicago but Detroit styles isn't straight from anywhere. The only place we ever really get any style/trend from is NY and we don't copy it exactly. We may take something and wear it our own way. We never get any styles from the south lol. Most people in Detroit think southerners aren't the best dressers anyway. When it come to the westcoast its the same as the way we are with NY. Everybody takes something from somewhere else. The south actually immulate NY styles to the T more than anywhere. When I go out of state I can always tell if somebody is from Detroit. We don't really dress like anybody.
We got lots of Detroit people in Houston and they pretty much fit right in with the city as far as style and fashion. Also; you should be more specific about the south because maybe in Miami and Atlanta; they emulate NYC, but places like Houston and Dallas are more influenced by the west coast.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
We got lots of Detroit people in Houston and they pretty much fit right in with the city as far as style and fashion. Also; you should be more specific about the south because maybe in Miami and Atlanta; they emulate NYC, but places like Houston and Dallas are more influenced by the west coast.
you're right. I can see how Houston would be more influenced by the westcoast. My bad. but what I meant was Miami, ATL etc. There are Detroit people in Houston and they might fit in. But seeing people who live in another city from Detroit is different than being in Detroit and seeing how people here really dress. Besides like I already said every place takes some trend from another.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:39 PM

Some popular brands in Detroit

Males
True Religion
A. Tiziano
Mek Denim
Laguna Beach Jeans
Ralph Lauren
Orisue
Parish
Levi

Local lines- District 81, Burn Rubber & Al Wissam
District 81 Clothing
Al Wissam, Inc.
Burn Rubber Sneaker Boutique | Fresh Kicks. All Day. Everyday.
shoes
Polo
Nike
Jordan
Cole Haan

Females here wear alot of Levi, Bebe, Forever 21, Besty Johnson, Guess/G etc clothing and local boutique clothing like C'est La Vie, Pretty Pieces/Baby Doll Boutique instead of a lot of urban wear.

C'est La Vie
Ce'st La Vie Clothing Store - C'est La Vie

Other popular stores
G-STAR DENIM | 4MEN USA (http://4menusa.com/clothing/g-star-denim/ - broken link)
J-Bees: Creative Recreation | Live Mechanics clothing | urban clothing line

Old 09-26-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Here's some stuff out of my closet.

Oaklandish/5733 tee:

Russo Jeans:

Live Mechanics Jacques Cousteau Jacket:
I like Live Mechanics on guys. It was real popular last yr here. I haven't been seeing it that much this yr though.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:50 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
I was never into fashion all that much.
My HS was obsessed with kicks, "I got 99 problems but my kicks aint one" is what sumed all that up. I saw people argue about what shoes are what, how much they're worth, and what colors they come in- I'd put my headphones in at that point.

I'd just wear solid color or white tees with sweat pants or gym shorts. I never liked denim, not necessarily the look of them, i just got too used to sweat pants.

However, jackets/hoodies were my thing.
I had a Sylvester the cat hoodie that zipped all the way up making it seem like I had his face. I thought I was the **** freshmen year.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:01 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,587 times
Oh, gawd.. I almost didn't look at this thread due to all the ridiculous stereotypes I was sure I'd find here (and it turns out I was right). The 'East Cost' (minus NYC) especially fashionable? Old wives' tale. The DC suburbs are about the most god-awfully schlumpy place I've ever been, 'fashion'-wise. The suburbs of ANY 'Midwest' city of any size totally blows the majority of Northern Virginia out of the water. However, I'm sure the Boston suburbs, for instance, are an improvement over NoVA, but I'm SURE suburban Bostonians don't dress any better than (for instance) suburban Chicagoans. Counterintuitive, maybe (if you believe everything the entertainment/mass media industries tell you), but absolutely, positively true. Unless you've spent a good amount of time in the non-touristy parts of NoVA (which'd be most of it - basically, Fairfax, Loudoun, and Prince William Counties) AND upscale suburbs of large Midwestern cities, you're not qualified to comment.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:11 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Oh, gawd.. I almost didn't look at this thread due to all the ridiculous stereotypes I was sure I'd find here (and it turns out I was right). The 'East Cost' (minus NYC) especially fashionable? Old wives' tale. The DC suburbs are about the most god-awfully schlumpy place I've ever been, 'fashion'-wise. The suburbs of ANY 'Midwest' city of any size totally blows the majority of Northern Virginia out of the water. However, I'm sure the Boston suburbs, for instance, are an improvement over NoVA, but I'm SURE suburban Bostonians don't dress any better than (for instance) suburban Chicagoans. Counterintuitive, maybe (if you believe everything the entertainment/mass media industries tell you), but absolutely, positively true. Unless you've spent a good amount of time in the non-touristy parts of NoVA (which'd be most of it - basically, Fairfax, Loudoun, and Prince William Counties) AND upscale suburbs of large Midwestern cities, you're not qualified to comment.
If we were going to state what "burbs" are the most fashionable, I'd have to give it to NJ. Not to sound bias, because fashion isn't all that important to me, but as the "mall state" and with NYC being big influence in the North Eastern portion of the state, whatever came out of NYC went through NJ first- It was very fashionable where I grew up (which wasn't in Newark).

Southern/Central/NW Jersey on the other hand, nothing special fashion wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City