Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,632 times

Advertisements

NYC is certainly by far the most fashionable city in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 02:12 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,394,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykeroutoftown View Post
Actually everyone on that block has their own style going on. It's not cookie cutter like the midwest. I've traveled all over and I have to say in general cities are much more fashionable than suburbs and rural areas. NYC is definitely a trend setter when it comes to fashion in the USA, The other big i95 northeast cities usually share similar style down to D.C. and as far north as Boston The south is usually pretty late and conservative. The midwest... lol and the west is usually late as well, or repeat the same old things (Hollister for example)

The thing is people in NYC in general will dress the way they want, try new things in the hope it will come off as stylish. It is acceptable. In other regions of the country people are more concerned if they fit the mold or not.
you obviously don't know much about the midwest. none of the midwest is exactly the same. The great plains region is nothing like the great lakes region. There is nothing "cookie cutter" about MI, OH, or IL. I don't see many people wearing hollister

Old 10-24-2010, 02:20 PM

168 posts, read 353,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
What does that have to do with people switching clothing during the day? If the morning is 40 degrees and the afternoon is the high 70s then people will change their clothing or take of jackets.
Well, the switch of clothes offers a variety of fashion... Flip flops, boots, tank top, tee, jacket, sweater, etc.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:44 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
Soho in street view
Soho - Google Maps

Most of those people don't look " high fashion" to me. That should be enough to prove the point.
did you just really stoop that low??? next time i advice you to actually go down their

Old 10-24-2010, 02:57 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
did you just really stoop that low??? next time i advice you to actually go down their
I just got back from there, I must say alot of people there arent all that fashionable they look like normal people wearing normal clothes. I did see some styles that I really liked..

Old 10-24-2010, 03:00 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,682,159 times
NY is a hard city to judge especially in places like SoHo where a sizable amount of the street population could be tourists and transplants.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:04 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,825,742 times
I love Seattle style Shorts and flannel shirts year around lol we do have some style.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:13 PM

442 posts, read 828,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
I love Seattle style Shorts and flannel shirts year around lol we do have some style.
Everyone wears flannel year round now lol. Seattle was doing it first for almost two decades though.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
NY is a hard city to judge especially in places like SoHo where a sizable amount of the street population could be tourists and transplants.
thats exactly why i asked sk8t if he stopped that low because soho probably has more tourist then actual new yorkers but still has a lot of fashion crazy folks.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
I just got back from there, I must say alot of people there arent all that fashionable they look like normal people wearing normal clothes. I did see some styles that I really liked..
well i wouldn't take advice from someone whose main goal was to take pics of bums and unfashionable people. truth of the matter is new york city has its rep for fashion for a reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City