U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Bronx Vs Hudson
Bronx 26 35.62%
Hudson 47 64.38%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 01:55 AM

2,509 posts, read 3,127,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
The only way the bronx can lose this, and ultimately will lose this is based off stigma alone
How someone who continually (time & time again) uses "STIGMA" to defame & downgrade New Jersey; uses "STIGMA" as a precursor or defense to an obvious loss for The Bronx is hilarious.
It's the ultimate in hypocrisy.
Mind boggling........................................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 06:33 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,814,540 times
Sorry, the Bronx is a sh&^hole.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:28 AM

2,656 posts, read 3,573,259 times
Quote:
Alright enough about the transit thing. The bronx has just as much access to midtown as anywhere else period(even more really). The number of lines and express trains to midtown on those lines show that .period

Lets get back to the thread. I think this is a nice but flawed critique system. High rise and skyline will go to jersey ciy, for the bronx(a section of a city and not a city) it would be Manhattan that would have that.

Attractions-Bronx would win this easily. Yankees is bigger than Hudson county by itself
The bronx zoo, the biggest metropolitan zoo in America comes in as second
The New york botanical comes in as a distant third

Theres nothing in Hudson county to visit better than any of this in The bronx.Period. Nothing in hudson county that speaks more valumes than this in the bronx

The bronx for its infamy or its fame is better known overall by the general population than hudson county

The bronx has has a bigger impact and relevance on world culture-Through its creation of hip hop(a worldwide culture) and its impact on latin culture-salsa and mambo

Jersey city is the offshoot of manhattan or Brooklyn 2.0. Hoboken deems itself as an alternative to the Village

Come on man what do ya have for yourselves?The bronx could be this or that.Poorest this or crime that. But atleast we have something for ourselves

The bronx is also better in natural beauty aswell(which would surprise those that chose hudson just becaue they thought the bronx was all south bx urban blight)

The bronx actually has more parks than any borough period.

Orchard beach just tops it off
NOTE: Enough about the transit thing? If you didn't want to talk about it anymore then why'd you quote my post on that dates back to the 27th? (that was before you guys even started talking about it) If you didn't want to talk about it anymore you shouldn't have dug up my 5 day old post.

Nope...sorry, but the whole "Bronx is known better by the general population" rant just isn't going to cut it. Until you conduct some sort of survey (or at least provide a link) you have no leg to stand on w/ that one.

You say JC is an offshoot of Manhattan, but the funny thing is the BX doesn't even have THAT.

Your excuse for BX not having any notable high-rises is b/c it isn't the downtown of a city, yet the far more capable Brooklyn (and even Queens for that matter) rip holes into that logic.

JC/Hoboken are more desirable in that regard.

I'll go as far as to say that even w/ the BX's pluses, it wouldn't win against any outer-borough except for Staten Island.

And finally...why are you beating up the points I made? As you can obviously see in my list, I ALREADY gave parks/recreation to BX, and I ALREADY gave culture to BX. What more do you want in that regard? BPerone's right, you must be scared we'll somehow forget if you don't repeat yourself at least 100 times.

Last edited by 66nexus; 10-02-2010 at 11:46 AM..

Old 10-02-2010, 11:31 AM

Default Orchard Beach?!

And Orchard Beach?!! You must be nuts. That is not a plus.

New York ranks 7th in nation for the dirtiest beaches; avoid Orchard, Manhattan Beach: survey

BY Christina Boyle
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Wednesday, July 28th 2010, 5:54 PM
Beware of swimming at Orchard Beach! A new survey shows quality of beach water is the 7th worst in the nation.

Harbus for News

-Beware of swimming at Orchard Beach! A new survey shows quality of beach water is the 7th worst in the nation.

New York's beaches are among the dirtiest in the country, according to the latest report card by the Natural Resources Defense Council.

The 20th annual "Testing the Waters" survey out Wednesday shows the state has slumped to 7th worst in the nation for the quality of its beach water; we were 9th worst the year before.

Orchard Beach in the Bronx and Manhattan Beach in Brooklyn were once again singled out as two New York City spots swimmers should be wary of - especially after heavy rainfall when sewer pipes overflow and waste goes directly into the ocean.

"Orchard and Manhattan beaches had notable increases in the percentage of samples exceeding federal health standards as compared to 2008," said NRDC senior attorney Larry Levine.

"The city announced several days of pollution advisories at each beach in August of last year."

Health officials hit back at the findings saying the random samples were not representative of the overall water quality, and New Yorkers should have no qualms about diving into the ocean.

"The New York City public should avail themselves of the great resource that the public beaches represent," said Christopher Boyd, assistant commissioner of the environmental science and engineering bureau. "The water is safe."

Across New York state, beaches were closed or advisories issued about poor water quality 1,775 times in 2009, an increase of 10% on the prior year, NRDC said.

Levine said this rise could be due to the heavy rainfall which marred last summer.

NRDC ranked 200 of the nation's top vacation spots, but none in New York received more than three out five.

Read more: New York ranks 7th in nation for the dirtiest beaches; avoid Orchard, Manhattan Beach: survey

Google

Last edited by 66nexus; 10-02-2010 at 11:48 AM..

Old 10-02-2010, 11:40 AM

Is there anything in the BX like Port Liberty, JC?

Alpine Painting & Sandblasting

Old 10-02-2010, 12:00 PM

7,761 posts, read 9,315,766 times
However it's still a beach, now if you want to go in the water or not that's up to you lol (I wouldn't).

Can't forget City Island.

I still prefer Hudson Co but I can admit that The Bronx isn't all bad.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:09 PM

5,262 posts, read 7,525,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thes5 View Post
sorry, the bronx is a sh&^hole.
Ey!

Old 10-02-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
However it's still a beach, now if you want to go in the water or not that's up to you lol (I wouldn't).

Can't forget City Island.

I still prefer Hudson Co but I can admit that The Bronx isn't all bad.
My sentiments exactly, it's just hard to express that when you have posters trying to paint their view as everyone's generally accepted view.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:27 PM

3,012 posts, read 3,395,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
NOTE: Enough about the transit thing? If you didn't want to talk about it anymore then why'd you quote my post on that dates back to the 27th? (that was before you guys even started talking about it) If you didn't want to talk about it anymore you shouldn't have dug up my 5 day old post.

Nope...sorry, but the whole "Bronx is known better by the general population" rant just isn't going to cut it. Until you conduct some sort of survey (or at least provide a link) you have no leg to stand on w/ that one.

You say JC is an offshoot of Manhattan, but the funny thing is the BX doesn't even have THAT.

Your excuse for BX not having any notable high-rises is b/c it isn't the downtown of a city, yet the far more capable Brooklyn (and even Queens for that matter) rip holes into that logic.

JC/Hoboken are more desirable in that regard.

I'll go as far as to say that even w/ the BX's pluses, it wouldn't win against any outer-borough except for Staten Island.

And finally...why are you beating up the points I made? As you can obviously see in my list, I ALREADY gave parks/recreation to BX, and I ALREADY gave culture to BX. What more do you want in that regard? BPerone's right, you must be scared we'll somehow forget if you don't repeat yourself at least 100 times.
Through the yankees,urban blight,hip hop. The bronx is more well known worldwide than Hudson County. You have many nyers that dont even know its called Hudson county

Why would the bronx have an offshoot of JC. aJC is a city the bronx is a borough. BK and Qns have skylines in the most genrous sense. Both are nowhere near Jersey City right in the same boat with the bronx.

Like i said the bronx has a stigma and most likely wont win against BK or QNS. In most people minds queens is supposed to be the suburban one,Brooklyn is "Hip" and the Bronx is Tyrone or Jose standing in front of a bodega. In reality the biggest things in New York City outside Manhattan is in the Bronx

Old 10-02-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Through the yankees,urban blight,hip hop. The bronx is more well known worldwide than Hudson County. You have many nyers that dont even know its called Hudson county

Why would the bronx have an offshoot of JC. aJC is a city the bronx is a borough. BK and Qns have skylines in the most genrous sense. Both are nowhere near Jersey City right in the same boat with the bronx.

Like i said the bronx has a stigma and most likely wont win against BK or QNS. In most people minds queens is supposed to be the suburban one,Brooklyn is "Hip" and the Bronx is Tyrone or Jose standing in front of a bodega. In reality the biggest things in New York City outside Manhattan is in the Bronx

Your argument would be great if it were concerning if folks KNEW about the Bronx. But simply listing the Yanks and urban blight is not proof that folks know more BX than Hudson county.

BX started hip/hip, but BK stole the scene (Jay-Z's current gravity is not irrelevant), and that's for the mostly younger crowd. The older crowd has a more established memory of Frank Sinatra and the Rat Pack. (and no I'm not comparing hip/hop icons to Frank Sinatra-I believe we've tried crossing that bridge w/ no success in the past). Apples and oranges, but no less significant.

Tell you this (having lived overseas), many folks are familiar w/ NYC, but not as specifically BX (moreso BK). Afterall, are average Americans familiar w/ the neighborhoods and districts of Rome?

I work w/ NY'ers on a daily basis, and them not knowing Hudson County is Hudson County is no more relevant than anyone not knowing Brooklyn is Kings county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City