Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?
Washington DC 119 39.53%
Philadelphia 94 31.23%
Boston 76 25.25%
None 12 3.99%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 10:49 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
So when I Disagree with you on something on Philly My observations are "trite and superfical" while if you and I disagree about something in anyother city you claim to be informitive, and objective? why the double standard, Next time Try Cambridgeport, or up near the Somerville line, or in general anything outside Harvard, Kendall square. THen you may change your mind

I think to me it was less about disagreement, I spend a fair amount of time in Cambridge and have explored many great areas of the place (as well as Boston). There are many very cool areas, some of my favorite in the country and some i like more than areas of Philly and vice-versa. I like the more eclectic areas and also places like Harvard Sq (I love the fall and taking the red line out and just walking this area actually along with others, it is gorgeous and feels somehow different than probably any other campus in the US to me and the sorrounding areas are very nice).

My issue honestly was with your assertion that edgy areas in philly are related to high murder rates or crime, to me that was way off base and if you have spent considerable time in these areas I would suspect that would not be a real world perception. Quite frankly it sounded trite and a silly response in many ways. Boston has many advantages (as to all on certain aspects) as all three are great cities from my perspective. On edgieness i do believe that Philly is more edgy (honestly to me that isnt soley a positive thing, good and bad aspects). I make this based on living in Philly and DC and also having spent probably 40-50 visits to Boston/Cambridge (A city I have a a lot love for honestly). And again this doesnt mean there are no edgy areas etc. to me but the vibe is slightly less so in DC or Boston to me, which both have their own edge.

On crime Philly has high crime areas and likely slightly higher crime in some core areas though differences are not that great in these. 90+% of the murders in Philly are crime and drug related and isolated to areas not even being described, these areas are not things I personally I am proud of for Philly but suggesting UCity is unsafe is uninformed, now it does border some neighborhoods with high crime but has also cleaned up considerably in the last 20 years as have other areas like No Libs and Fishtown (I actually cant believe fishtown is now a trendy neighborhood, 25 years ago that just wasnt even close to the case)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 11:45 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,167,805 times
- Most diverse (by ethnicity/race) - Philly
- Best schools (K-12 and higher ed) - Boston
- Best food - Philly
- Best shopping - Philly
- Best economy (by sheer size of GDP and growth) - DC
- Best economy (by employment opportunities) - DC
- Best Scenery - Boston
- Best musems and public sites - DC
- Best parks - Philly
- Best history - Philly
- Safety - Boston
- Costs - Philly
- Best waterfront - Boston
- Best culture - Philly
- Transportation- DC
- Walkability- Philly

Old 09-10-2011, 03:50 PM

13,940 posts, read 14,806,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
- Most diverse (by ethnicity/race) - Philly
- Best schools (K-12 and higher ed) - Boston
- Best food - Philly
- Best shopping - Philly
- Best economy (by sheer size of GDP and growth) - DC
- Best economy (by employment opportunities) - DC
- Best Scenery - Boston
- Best musems and public sites - DC
- Best parks - Philly
- Best history - Philly
- Safety - Boston
- Costs - Philly
- Best waterfront - Boston
- Best culture - Philly
- Transportation- DC
- Walkability- Philly
that is statistcly false.

and Bostons culture is way more unique.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:45 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,699,343 times
Quote:
that is statistcly false.

How?

Old 09-11-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
How?
Statisticly, DC is more Diverse than Boston and Philly

Old 09-11-2011, 11:26 AM

12,000 posts, read 12,842,421 times
Quote:

This is highly subjuective and Philly is the wrong city to pick a fight with when it comes to unique cultures for better or worse.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
This is highly subjuective and Philly is the wrong city to pick a fight with when it comes to unique cultures for better or worse.
moreso than Boston things that were uniquely Philly became part of NYC culture and vice-versa.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:30 PM

9,331 posts, read 9,185,202 times
Quote:
moreso than Boston things that were uniquely Philly became part of NYC culture and vice-versa.
how so?

Old 09-13-2011, 06:02 PM

61 posts, read 77,860 times
Washington and Boston have a lot more going for them and are more important than Philadelphia. Philly's time was in the 1880's and early 1900's. A missed opportunity!

Old 09-13-2011, 06:29 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,167,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Philly bro View Post
Washington and Boston have a lot more going for them and are more important than Philadelphia. Philly's time was in the 1880's and early 1900's. A missed opportunity!
Haha durf, you give yourself away with your absurd false statements and overuse of exclamation points and obvious trolling. Do you get tired of making obvious troll accounts every other day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City