Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?
Washington DC 119 39.53%
Philadelphia 94 31.23%
Boston 76 25.25%
None 12 3.99%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 12:37 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times

Advertisements

I haven't yet been to Boston, but the weather there is enough for me to rule it out in this contest. And since I lived for 3 years in the DC Area and am now in Philly, I can say without a doubt that DC is better. I like certain things about Philly (better downtown, for sure, with the skyscrapers), but the crime rate, filth, bad neighborhoods and the like turn me off. DC's residents seem to be more educated as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 01:21 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,112 times
For my comparison I am going to include the suburbs into my answers
The criteria:
- Best Location- Philly because it is between DC & NYC
- Best Scenery- Boston for natural scenery, DC for man made scenery
- Best schools (K-12)- DC suburbs have best schools in the country
- Best Universities (Yes I mean higher ed)- Boston
- Most diverse (by ethnicity/race)- DC sheerly because the large number of diplomats & transplants
- Best food- Boston
- Best shopping- Tie between Philly & DC
- Best economy (by sheer size of GDP)- According to government statistics DC has the biggest economy of the 3
- Best economy (by employment opportunities)- DC is frequently ranked one of the best cities for job seekers
- Best attractions- DC, museums are free, not to mention museums
- Best parks- DC. Rock Creek & the National Mall are amazing parks, & then add in all the small traffic circles & neighborhood squares
- Best history- Tie between all 3
- Most safe place- Boston
- Costs (I mean EVERYTHING, highs, lows, whatever)- I would assume Philly is the cheapest & DC is the most expensive
- Best waterfront- Boston, maybe DC can catch up in a few years due to the riverfront projects
- Best culture- Boston for local culture, DC for international culture
- Name key industries in this Metro- DC has the government, Boston has education, & Philly has finance
- Does it influence its region, or does it get influenced itself from the region? I would say all 3 influence the region
Vote Count:
Philly-4 DC-10 Boston-7

Old 02-10-2015, 01:34 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N69 View Post
Parks and location go to Philly? Have you seen some of the parks in Boston before, especially those near CBD, the river, and the bay? They are merely the top echelon of parks.

Location to Philly also, why is that? Dont give me the typical response of it being nearer to NYC and D.C. I picked D.C. because in drive time its nearer to Miami, Chicago, SF, and in the center where NYC isnt very far away which constitute for major cities that I would vacation in. Even then drive times are irrelevant because thats what airports are for and D.C. has better airports than both Boston and Philly. BWI, Reagan, and National > PHL and Logan.

Shopping isnt merely an opinion where Boston is one of the best shopping cities around, some of the most expensive retailers find themselves in Boston and last I checked Philly has nothing on the level of Newbury. Food isnt an opinion either, try some of Boston's regional cuisine with particular hint in seafood and you can see why Boston leads D.C. and Philly on food.
But in reality, who's really gonna drive from DC to Miami, Chicago, and especially SF?

Old 02-10-2015, 04:27 PM

385 posts, read 400,504 times
I'm tired of people talking about filth in the city....obviously its there. What major city doesn't have it. Doesn't mean the majority of the city is dirty , and crime rate as if half of the people on this board is STANDING IN THE CITY JUST WAITING FOR SOMETHING TO HAPPEN TO THEM. Crime is everywhere and you cant be scared every corner you turn........next its going to be "Too many people standing at the top of the subway steps making funny noises...we dont have that on the metro" Over it lol.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:27 PM

36 posts, read 46,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
For my comparison I am going to include the suburbs into my answers
The criteria:
- Best Location- Philly because it is between DC & NYC
- Best Scenery- Boston for natural scenery, DC for man made scenery
- Best schools (K-12)- DC suburbs have best schools in the country
- Best Universities (Yes I mean higher ed)- Boston
- Most diverse (by ethnicity/race)- DC sheerly because the large number of diplomats & transplants
- Best food- Boston
- Best shopping- Tie between Philly & DC
- Best economy (by sheer size of GDP)- According to government statistics DC has the biggest economy of the 3
- Best economy (by employment opportunities)- DC is frequently ranked one of the best cities for job seekers
- Best attractions- DC, museums are free, not to mention museums
- Best parks- DC. Rock Creek & the National Mall are amazing parks, & then add in all the small traffic circles & neighborhood squares
- Best history- Tie between all 3
- Most safe place- Boston
- Costs (I mean EVERYTHING, highs, lows, whatever)- I would assume Philly is the cheapest & DC is the most expensive
- Best waterfront- Boston, maybe DC can catch up in a few years due to the riverfront projects
- Best culture- Boston for local culture, DC for international culture
- Name key industries in this Metro- DC has the government, Boston has education, & Philly has finance
- Does it influence its region, or does it get influenced itself from the region? I would say all 3 influence the region
Vote Count:
Philly-4 DC-10 Boston-7

I find Philadelphia to be more scenic and green as far as the metro goes. More hilly, much better climate.

Boston definitely doesn't beat Philly on food and there's no way Philly is a better shopping city than Boston. Metro Id say is close. There's no Newbury St in Philly but no King of Prussia in Boston either. Philly is first for history easily. Preserved more areas and has better history monuments and attractions. Boston tore down and replaced a ton of theirs. Philly didn't. No way DC beats Philly or Boston on attractions. Philly has better schools in metro.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy215267 View Post
I'm tired of people talking about filth in the city....obviously its there. What major city doesn't have it. Doesn't mean the majority of the city is dirty , and crime rate as if half of the people on this board is STANDING IN THE CITY JUST WAITING FOR SOMETHING TO HAPPEN TO THEM. Crime is everywhere and you cant be scared every corner you turn........next its going to be "Too many people standing at the top of the subway steps making funny noises...we dont have that on the metro" Over it lol.
Nobody ever talks about the homeless or filth in San Francisco. Ever notice that?

Old 02-10-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I haven't yet been to Boston, but the weather there is enough for me to rule it out in this contest. And since I lived for 3 years in the DC Area and am now in Philly, I can say without a doubt that DC is better. I like certain things about Philly (better downtown, for sure, with the skyscrapers), but the crime rate, filth, bad neighborhoods and the like turn me off. DC's residents seem to be more educated as well.
Boston is a more sterile version of Philadelphia.

Boston is uptight and neat and Philadelphia is loose and edgy.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:34 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimetoMoveOutWest View Post
I find Philadelphia to be more scenic and green as far as the metro goes. More hilly, much better climate.

Boston definitely doesn't beat Philly on food and there's no way Philly is a better shopping city than Boston. Metro Id say is close. There's no Newbury St in Philly but no King of Prussia in Boston either. Philly is first for history easily. Preserved more areas and has better history monuments and attractions. Boston tore down and replaced a ton of theirs. Philly didn't. No way DC beats Philly or Boston on attractions. Philly has better schools in metro.
Yes Boston can be Philly within the food category.

Yes DC does beat both Philly and Boston with attractions, DC gets more tourist than both of these cities. The national mall and the museums?

20 Most Popular U.S. Cities Among International Travelers in 2013 – Skift

Also No, Philly does not have better schools the the DC metro...

Old 02-10-2015, 06:35 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimetoMoveOutWest View Post
Boston is a more sterile version of Philadelphia.

Boston is uptight and neat and Philadelphia is loose and edgy.
Boston is anything but sterile..... It's very historic and scenic. Just because Boston is not gritty or edgy does not mean it's sterile.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Boston is anything but sterile..... It's very historic and scenic. Just because Boston is not gritty or edgy does not mean it's sterile.
Yes it does.

Perfect example is Quincy Market vs. Reading Terminal Market.

Newbury St. vs. South St.

Philly is more mom and pop shop oriented. Boston is more chainy and franchise oriented.

There's more local flavor to Philly than Boston. More independent stores and boutiques in Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City