Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?
Washington DC 119 39.53%
Philadelphia 94 31.23%
Boston 76 25.25%
None 12 3.99%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 11:55 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Yea its cheap to live in Philly so more of the poors stick around because they couldnt afford Boston or DC.

BTW Boston CSA is bigger than Philly CSA
Lol too funny. Plenty of "poors" in DC as well. And Philadelphia is certainly not "cheap". You do realize there is a lot more that determines real estate prices of an area than just the economy or desirability right. Look at all the most expensive cities in the US. NYC, San Fran, Los Angeles, Seattle, Boston. These are all coastal cities. Think that's a coincidence? No. Coastal cities are always going to be more expensive than inland cities.

DC may be slightly more expensive than Philadelphia on average, but that is because the government is there. DC and aphilly are very comparable price wise, especially when you get into the core of each city. And luxury condos in Philly are selling for a higher price-per-square-foot than DC. Philadelphia is also just as expensive and Chicago and Miami. And Philadelphia is more expensive than Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, etc. And these cities are viewed as "highly desirable." You're just insulting with no basis in facts or reality. You have no reasoning because for some strange reason you have an unwarranted hatred towards Philadelphia. It's okay if you don't like the city but you take it to the extreme and just sound like a typical San Franciscan. Your real life must be miserable which is why you result to coming on an internet forum and bash an entire city of 1.6 million and a metro of over 6 million.

Boston has a larger CSA because it's up there all alone. It is the capital of New England. Philadelphia CSA can't really grow any larger. To the North is NYC. To the south is the DC/Baltimore metros and CSA. To the East is the Atlantic Ocean, and to the west it's already an hour and a half until you're no longer in Philadelphia's CSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 11:57 AM

148 posts, read 228,411 times
Hey, if safe and boring is your thing, by all means.

George Carlin said it best. "You need a little danger in your lives. What are you gonna do, eat at Wendys and read People magazine until the end of time?!"

Still, Philly is a FAR cry, as is NYC, from what it used to be.

Only thing I can deduce from this is that perhaps folks from Boston, DC, or even supporters of these cities feel threatened that Philly is increasingly trending upward each new year. The city has a ton going for it. The best of Boston I think we have seen, and in terms of places like Boston that have education and biotech on lock, Philadelphia is only second to that.

Philadelphia has more soul to the city as well, than the other two. Better food, better entertainment options, bar scenes, etc.

What do all the Boston folks say about Philadelphia leading the poll?

Old 02-16-2015, 11:58 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
LOL Philly is cheaper because its a ghetto. Who would pay 700k to live in Philly?

Old 02-16-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I hear they dont. Prove it, show me the #s. You make things up and you hate when folks call you out on it.

If I lived in Philly I would make things up too. No one cares for it, its at the bottom of every desirability poll and no scholars take it seriously. Its beneath Seattle and Denver in some importance rankings. sometimes its not considered.

I never hear anyone talk about visiting Philly or moving there in SF but know Philadelphians here that wouldnt ever move back
My ex girlfriends dad owns a law firm in Philadelphia. He would constantly fly out of Newark to meet with clients - so would his coworkers. They would also fly clients in through Newark. Philadelphia is an hour train ride from Newark and its a cheaper solution than flying out of PHL. I also just flew out of Harrisburg with my girlfriend and her family to Orlando because it was cheaper for them than flying out of PHL.

Again, you don't live here so you have no idea what you're talking about. There are no numbers to prove it exactly but that doesn't mean it's not true. PHL gets shortchanged by having other major airports in close proximity.

"No one cares" for Philly... Lol. Hilarious. I know a to of people who do. I'm not arguing that San Francisco isn't more desirable, but it's also ridiculously expensive. I've meant plenty of people who have moved here from all over the country and they really enjoy the city. Some short term for school but some long term from work. I've met plenty of people from Cali. Even Bay Area and Los Angeles and they seemed to like it a lot and had nothing bad to say about it.

It's a joke that Philadelphia isn't considered on those lists but at the same time I don't really care. It has no bearing on my everyday life. You know damn well that philadelphia has a larger economy and is more important to the national and global market than the majority of cities considered on those "lists."

Old 02-16-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
LOL Philly is cheaper because its a ghetto. Who would pay 700k to live in Philly?
A lot apparently since there are thousands of homes and condo units being built in the city fetching over $1 million.

Philadelphia is doing well as of late. It is definitely at a better position now than its been in over 60 years.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:10 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,642,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagsNJ View Post
George Carlin said it best. "You need a little danger in your lives. What are you gonna do, eat at Wendys and read People magazine until the end of time?!"

Still, Philly is a FAR cry, as is NYC, from what it used to be.

Only thing I can deduce from this is that perhaps folks from Boston, DC, or even supporters of these cities feel threatened that Philly is increasingly trending upward each new year. The city has a ton going for it. The best of Boston I think we have seen, and in terms of places like Boston that have education and biotech on lock, Philadelphia is only second to that.

Philadelphia has more soul to the city as well, than the other two. Better food, better entertainment options, bar scenes, etc.

What do all the Boston folks say about Philadelphia leading the poll?
I agree, mostly with what you say, and I voted for Philly. But Philly isn't "#2" with either education or biotech (let's not stretch here). Philly may have Penn, amongst others, but there are other cities besides Boston that have 2 or more universities, amongst others, that are tippy top tier. And SF/Bay Area is the clear and close #2 for biotech (and I think it's #1 in biotech VC, not surprisingly), and probably has more going for it overall in the education front (Stanford, Berkeley, UCSF, and of course all the others).

Old 02-16-2015, 12:12 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,929,815 times
Quote:
LOL, you are really embarrassing yourself on this one scrawni-hold it together.

Hate is not the opposite of love-indifference is. You are being so emotional and looking for people to argue with -been feeling lonely lately?

Old 02-16-2015, 12:30 PM

313 posts, read 336,508 times
Living in Philly gives you lots of options . Every thing in close by , unlike N. Cal. They don't understand east coast life .

Old 02-16-2015, 12:30 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Yeah-I flew out of Newark when I went to Costa Rica and Ireland-the train is very quick to Newark airport and the prices happened to be cheaper.
Ok you flew to Costa Rica from NWK but because PHL doesnt have any flights to CR. But think reverse. Do you really think Philly undercounted? When folks from CR fly to Philly they will have to connect thru NWK to PHL from CR. That is how the airline industry works. Folks from CR dont fly to NWK and then drive to Philly, there are insurance costs and fees they wouldnt pay to do at when connecting flights is free. And connecting flights means they count. TBH I dont believe this BS and I dont think they take the Amtrak from NWK to Philly either.

I asked summers for #s and he gave me a story about his ex-GF LOL

Old 02-16-2015, 12:59 PM

200 posts, read 294,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Competing MSA crime statistics is quite a stretch too isn't it? Like what happens in Camden, Chester or North Philadelphia has any affect on those in Ardmore, Newtown and Kennet Square. LOL

That's absurd.
Is Georgetown affected by crime happening in Anacostia even though it's closer to Arlington, a very wealthy county with relatively low crime? Is Back Bay affected by crime happening in Roxbury, even though it's closer to Cambridge, a complete separate municipality also with low crime? My point is that city boundaries are completely arbitrary and tend to skew crime data. I personally think using city boundaries is just as absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City