Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?
Washington DC 119 39.53%
Philadelphia 94 31.23%
Boston 76 25.25%
None 12 3.99%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 05:37 AM

17 posts, read 21,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetUser2015 View Post
You mean the American Revolution.
Yeah, I meant American Revolution. Oops
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 06:07 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,718,917 times
I've lived in all three and none of them are as good as Chicago. (Or even New York.)

Best thing about Philly is that it's not that far from NYC.

Although traffic is horrendous in all three, Boston and DC both at least have decent public transportation. What passes for public transportation is appallingly inadequate in Philadelphia. And the major E/W expressway into the city is 2 lanes not all that far out from the city. 2 LANES!!! This ties up traffic for scores of miles. I really think that portions of the Philly metro region are going to suffer economically from the terrible transportation infrastructure (or, more accurately, the lack thereof.) Long term economic growth is going to be limited due to this factor in the west/northwest suburbs.

Boston is so much more provincial than the other two, and way less friendly than the others.

Philadelphia has top notch high end dining, although DC has its fare share, too. Housing and general COL is cheapest in Philadelphia.

It's a toss-up for me. All three have positive and negative things about them. None are my favorite. I could live in any of them (and have). I'm actually moving from one to another in a few months.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:21 AM

275 posts, read 415,813 times
Quote:
Philadelphia has history from every period, but by far its most significant is its colonial and revolutionary history. Its not even a question, and its dubious to include one and not the other.
Philadelphia probably has the most impressive range of 18th and 19th century American architecture in the country. You can find great examples of old architectural styles in Philly. That counts as history IMO. Like Manhattan, Boston had to destroy much of its old architecture to make room as it expanded. Philadelphia didn't have any geographical limitations and so it just built outward. As such, Philadelphia feels very historic and with its narrow streets and alleys, feels very Old World too.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:29 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times
Quote:
You mean the American Revolution.
Philadelphia definitely played a major role in the Civil War. Just look up the history about it.

Other than the industrial might the city possessed, the Union commander at Gettysburg, George Meade was from Phila. He's buried in Laurel Hill cemetery. Phila. was also a "stagings station" for union troops going south
Many crossed the Delaware, on ferrys or barges, at the foot of Washington Ave. and Columbus Blvd. There were refreshment stands right where there is car intersection today. Troops marched west along Washington Ave for trains to take them south at the NW corner of Broad and Washington.

The Sanitation Movement(it grew into the Red Cross) had a huge fair on the grounds of what was then Logan Sq in 1864. They were a benevalent organization focused on troop welfare. The only nearby building that existed in the drawings I've seen of the time is the Cathedral of Sts Peter and Paul. If you go to Logan Circle today there a big historical sign describing the fair.

The Union League, at Broad and Sansom, is called that because of its obvious involvement in the war.

The Satterlee Field Hospital was hugely important in caring for union troops. It was located, pretty much, where Spruce Hill is today in W. Phila.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:23 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post

Best thing about Philly is that it's not that far from NYC.

No its not. Thats the bottom of the list regarding the best thing about Philly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz
Boston and DC both at least have decent public transportation. What passes for public transportation is appallingly inadequate in Philadelphia.
Absurd. Septa has 246 regional rail stops on a dozen or more seperate lines. Patco + NJ transit have another 35 stops from Princeton SW to Philly.And Amtrak. Public Transit in Philly region is routinely ranked in the top 5 USA.

Quote:
I really think that portions of the Philly metro region are going to suffer economically from the terrible transportation infrastructure (or, more accurately, the lack thereof.) Long term economic growth is going to be limited due to this factor in the west/northwest suburbs.
No it won't .I beleieve Philly is the 4th largest Media market, 5th largest city, 5th or 6th largest MSA in the USA. Its doing fine.

People stop making stuff up.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:05 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,566,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Absurd. Septa has 246 regional rail stops on a dozen or more seperate lines. Patco + NJ transit have another 35 stops from Princeton SW to Philly.And Amtrak. Public Transit in Philly region is routinely ranked in the top 5 USA.
i think amtrack is technically a private company. its hard to move around in philly via subway. regional rail/nj transit is not really rapid transit and many of the stops are outdoors (and less cozy in the winter).

Old 09-14-2015, 10:00 PM

650 posts, read 866,983 times
DC. I live here.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:56 AM

44 posts, read 51,608 times
Philadelphia
Washington
Boston

What I appreciate about Philadelphia is its authenticity. Its the last of the three to get all whored up commercially and is still very much homegrown at the largest levels.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:30 AM

14,479 posts, read 11,272,235 times
Dunno, but I'm going to the coast of Maine tonight for some lobster, clams and a beach bonfire.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:38 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,362,421 times
For me, it would be...

D.C.
Boston
Philly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City