Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?
Washington DC 119 39.53%
Philadelphia 94 31.23%
Boston 76 25.25%
None 12 3.99%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 02:12 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

^^I actually like Boston's skyline more, especially the view as you cruise up Storrow Drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 02:27 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Haha being of minority descent (Asian Indian & Singaporean) I can tell you I prefer the diversity in Washington DC far more. I've been to all 3, all great cities. But I prefer Washington DC.
Racially Boston is not diverse, and ethnically it is with Europeans and a few Caribbean cultures, and its got a good Asian Indian & Chinese population but it lacks other Asian, Latin American, African, & Pacific Islander cultures that Washington DC does better at.

Wow though, people actually said ethnic diversity doesn't matter. Well, I guess having Chinatowns and Little Italy's and stuff don't matter haha.
Anyways I will be back in a few hours to post the ethnic diversity and racial diversity compositions.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:23 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Wow though, people actually said ethnic diversity doesn't matter. Well, I guess having Chinatowns and Little Italy's and stuff don't matter haha.
Anyways I will be back in a few hours to post the ethnic diversity and racial diversity compositions.
we didn't say it does matter we said it doesn't matter much and I did mention that the only place it does matter is in food/ shopping, hence the little Italy, Chinatown etc

Ethnical diversity is fleeting, more ethereal. racial diversity is more corporeal.
The only big Ethnicity groups in the US that I see make it past the 1st generation consistently are Italians and Mexicans.

Use your self as an example and you will see what I mean. What percentage by Ethnicity would you attribute to American for yourself? Do the same for race. To the day you die you will tell people you are half Indian/ half Singaporean. At the same time you would tell anyone who ask that your Ethnic identification matches up closer to the american lifestyle. Your main language is american English, your
culture is mainly american culture, etc. Race sticks with you (unless your last name is Jackson) but Ethnicity is lost in a generation.

That is my thesis on Diversity

Old 09-29-2010, 05:37 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
we didn't say it does matter we said it doesn't matter much and I did mention that the only place it does matter is in food/ shopping, hence the little Italy, Chinatown etc

Ethnical diversity is fleeting, more ethereal. racial diversity is more corporeal.
The only big Ethnicity groups in the US that I see make it past the 1st generation consistently are Italians and Mexicans.

Use your self as an example and you will see what I mean. What percentage by Ethnicity would you attribute to American for yourself? Do the same for race. To the day you die you will tell people you are half Indian/ half Singaporean. At the same time you would tell anyone who ask that your Ethnic identification matches up closer to the american lifestyle. Your main language is american English, your
culture is mainly american culture, etc. Race sticks with you (unless your last name is Jackson) but Ethnicity is lost in a generation.

That is my thesis on Diversity
Which of the three has the largest China Town? Largest Italian neighborhood?

Old 09-29-2010, 05:58 PM

793 posts, read 1,452,524 times
Quote:
Haha being of minority descent (Asian Indian & Singaporean) I can tell you I prefer the diversity in Washington DC far more. I've been to all 3, all great cities. But I prefer Washington DC.
Racially Boston is not diverse, and ethnically it is with Europeans and a few Caribbean cultures, and its got a good Asian Indian & Chinese population but it lacks other Asian, Latin American, African, & Pacific Islander cultures that Washington DC does better at.

You made me actually curious about this, based on Metro area foreign born total population is:

Boston: 716,264 (16% of metro population)
Philadelphia: 505,220 (9%)
DC: 1,073,591 (20%)

Top 5 foreign born by place of birth:

Boston:

1. China: 60,956
2. Brazil: 52,551
3. Dominican Republic: 49,794
4. Haiti: 38,675
5. India: 36,746

Philadelphia:

1. India: 51,224
2. Mexico: 42,570
3. China: 35,653
4. Korea: 23,203
5. Vietnam: 22,940

Washington DC:

1. India: 64,348
2. Korea: 57,690
3. China: 56,910
4. Mexico: 44,102
5. Vietnam: 43,449

Seems like all 3 are quite diverse to me. I dont see the landslide you are talking about here. Plus keep in mind that Boston has the smallest Metro area of the 3 and holds up quite well in the foreign born department:

Metro Population:

Philadelphia: 5.8m
DC: 5.4m
Boston: 4.5

So with the smallest metro population it still has the 2nd most foreign born.

Last edited by Cart24; 09-29-2010 at 06:12 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 06:03 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htownlove View Post
race sticks with you (unless your last name is jackson)
lol

Old 09-29-2010, 06:05 PM

793 posts, read 1,452,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Which of the three has the largest China Town? Largest Italian neighborhood?
Boston has the largest Chinatown of the 3 (3rd largest in the country after NYC and SF) Chinatown, Boston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While I love DC, the Chinatown there is kind of a joke. But anyone who has been to the DC suburbs (Fairfax county) know that the Viet Town is the real deal.

Not sure about largest Little Italy, but anyone who has been to both Philly and Boston know that DC cant match up in that area:

Old 09-29-2010, 06:19 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
Boston has the largest Chinatown of the 3 (3rd largest in the country after NYC and SF) Chinatown, Boston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While I love DC, the Chinatown there is kind of a joke. But anyone who has been to the DC suburbs (Fairfax county) know that the Viet Town is the real deal.

Not sure about largest Little Italy, but anyone who has been to both Philly and Boston know that DC cant match up in that area:

I did read read somewhere that Philadelphia had the second largest Italian population after NY, South Philly does seem larger than the North End at least to me but both have lost some of their Italian luster recently (btw the North end is truly one of my favorites neighborhoods in the country, especially since the Erector is gone). I would agree that both Boston and Philly would have a much more significant Italian population, and Irish for that matter.

On Chinatowns, I am not familiar with Bostons really, I know I read that Philly's was one of the ten largest in the country, which actually suprised me as it always seemed pretty small to me. There is a large Korean enclave in Montgomery county but outside the city limits.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:23 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post

That's right, DC (within city limits) has few ethnic enclaves. In that respect, it can't match up to Philly or Boston. But the real diversity in DC is in the metro area, which has most of its population.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:29 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
Quote:
Current capital versus our former capital (well your ancestors former capital, I wasn't alive back then) and then our educational capital!

The criteria:
- Best Location
- Best Scenery
- Best schools (K-12)
- Best Universities (Yes I mean higher ed)
- Most diverse (by ethnicity/race)
- Best food
- Best shopping
- Best economy (by sheer size of GDP)
- Best economy (by employment opportunities)
- Best attractions
- Best parks
- Best history
- Most safe place
- Costs (I mean EVERYTHING, highs, lows, whatever)
- Best waterfront
- Best culture
- Name key industries in this Metro
- Does it influence its region, or does it get influenced itself from the region?
- Anything else you can think of that I've missed here

Anyways you don't have to follow every single criteria when answering, but at least attempt at it and try to provide reason for your choice.
Stay civil.

that's tough dude - its no like comparing it to NYC. all of these cities hold all of that criteria

Best Location
- Best Scenery - DC
- Best schools (K-12) - Boston?
- Best Universities (Yes I mean higher ed) - they all do
- Most diverse (by ethnicity/race) DC
- Best food no idea
- Best shopping - Boston/DC
- Best economy (by sheer size of GDP) no idea
- Best economy (by employment opportunities) no idea
- Best attractions - they all do
- Best parks - no idea
- Best history - Boston/Philly
- Most safe place - Boston
- Costs (I mean EVERYTHING, highs, lows, whatever) - Philly
- Best waterfront - Boston/Philly
- Best culture - PHILLY
- Name key industries in this Metro - no idea
- Does it influence its region, or does it get influenced itself from the region? Boston is the king of New England, DC is the king of the Chesepeake Bay, Philly is in NY's shadow
- Anything else you can think of that I've missed here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City