Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 07:19 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times

Advertisements

Yes, there are many very tall apartment buildings in NYC.

Most buildings in Chicago are 3-4 flats to single family homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 01:52 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,278 times
They both have huge skylines, and comprehensive 24/7 public transportation but that's where it ends.
I grew up in and around New York so I'm very familiar with what the area has to offer, although I always used to think Chicago was very similar until I had the chance to visit the city.

to me Chicago felt nothing like New York. There is this planned sense of scale, but I don't know how to describe it. It seems as if all the skyscapers downtown have been carefully placed in some sort of elaborate design to balance out the skyline. I got kind of geeked out when my cell phone rang and I was on the red line below state street. The waterfront is utilized more, from Navy Pier to that Beach that's literally downtown (or is that the near north side?).

Downtown wasn't that gritty (it was really clean) but the places I visited south and west on the green line were very gritty.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:55 AM

6 posts, read 9,121 times
I agree, the only similarities is that they have big skylines, finance centers, and similar climates.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:27 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
They both have huge skylines, and comprehensive 24/7 public transportation but that's where it ends.
I grew up in and around New York so I'm very familiar with what the area has to offer, although I always used to think Chicago was very similar until I had the chance to visit the city.

to me Chicago felt nothing like New York. There is this planned sense of scale, but I don't know how to describe it. It seems as if all the skyscapers downtown have been carefully placed in some sort of elaborate design to balance out the skyline. I got kind of geeked out when my cell phone rang and I was on the red line below state street. The waterfront is utilized more, from Navy Pier to that Beach that's literally downtown (or is that the near north side?).

Downtown wasn't that gritty (it was really clean) but the places I visited south and west on the green line were very gritty.
south and west on the green line is probably the worst place in Chicago you could possibly go, welcome to the hood. it's by far the sketchiest amount of stops, about 90% of stop outside of the loop on the green is in the ghetto.
pretty much the entire northside outside of a couple spots is cleaner than equivalent spots in nyc, just less to clean up really. city does do pretty good as far as manicuring lawns/flowers though. north side vs the west/south side are 2 different worlds. there are a few neighborhoods that are good there, but they are generally surrounded by other bad neighborhoods.

Last edited by grapico; 10-02-2010 at 10:36 AM..

Old 10-02-2010, 06:16 PM

36 posts, read 75,693 times
Chicago and New York are not really alike to me, coming from a Chicagoan who's been to New York about a dozen times. Yeah they have tall buildings, mass transit, but the feel of the cities is different. In Chicago, you have a gang culture that is unlike anything in New York. The neighborhoods in Chicago feel different also. Most people on CD that talk about Chicago talk about the North Side and downtown, but the majority of people don't live in those areas. I'm from the South Side and I rarely ever go up north because most of what I need as far as food, clothing and entertainment can be had on the south side.

New York on the other hand feels very dirty and over crowded. The people all sound the same, whether black, white, jewish, latino, they all have that same accent. In Chicago blacks, whites, latinos talk differently from each other. Blacks have this hybrid southern/midwestern slang and most New Yorkers can pick up on that and diss Chicago.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:29 PM

606 posts, read 354,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westchesterfielddad View Post
Chicago and New York are not really alike to me, coming from a Chicagoan who's been to New York about a dozen times. Yeah they have tall buildings, mass transit, but the feel of the cities is different. In Chicago, you have a gang culture that is unlike anything in New York. The neighborhoods in Chicago feel different also. Most people on CD that talk about Chicago talk about the North Side and downtown, but the majority of people don't live in those areas. I'm from the South Side and I rarely ever go up north because most of what I need as far as food, clothing and entertainment can be had on the south side.

New York on the other hand feels very dirty and over crowded. The people all sound the same, whether black, white, jewish, latino, they all have that same accent. In Chicago blacks, whites, latinos talk differently from each other. Blacks have this hybrid southern/midwestern slang and most New Yorkers can pick up on that and diss Chicago.
This is false. Not only do people of other races and ethnic groups sound different, but also their accent will vary depending on what borough they are from as well.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:38 PM

36 posts, read 75,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
This is false. Not only do people of other races and ethnic groups sound different, but also their accent will vary depending on what borough they are from as well.
Well to me they all sound similar. That Italiano proper sounding accent. It's hilarious.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:45 PM

7 posts, read 46,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
Chicago used to feel very similar to NYC. That's where those comparisons come from. Look at old photos of the two cities. They felt very similar.

Chicago then fell off the table by bringing in so many transplants and soft suburbanites who don't "Act Chicago," that the place now feels like some leftist petri dish, instead of the brash, confident, aggressive place Real Chicago was.

Now? Yeah, compare Chicago more to Seattle than NYC.
agree with you totally on that. there's no place anywhere that's quite like NYC but the 3 most similar cities in north america are probably chicago, seattle, and toronto. (if i leave out boston and philadelphia.)

Old 10-04-2010, 06:14 PM

606 posts, read 354,780 times
I don't see how Chicago is similar to Seattle at all.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 962 times
Chicago has a definite inferiority complex vis-a-vis New York. Chicago is a city that is constantly seeking validation. It's not Boston, San Francisco, or even Toronto. It can't even get what Atlanta had in 1996.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City