Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:44 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times

Advertisements

I could honestly say that I would choose Mobile over Jackson to live in, solely because of it's location (that's the only real advantage I see). I would have to be forced to live in either one, but Jackson should still be compared to Montgomery or Little Rock vs. Mobile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 10:48 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
I just can't wait until you get tired of Charlotte and begin to talk down about how much this place sucks as well.

I think Mobile has the edge here, it's on the water, and seems to have more access to nearby cities.
I have the right to my opinion. You should spend a few weeks in Little Rock and then try to tell me it doesn't suck.

I've been in Charlotte over a year now and don't feel I've actually done enough since I've been here. Contrastingly, I was sick of Little Rock after only a few months (moving from rural Arkansas). Its just so small and there is so little to see or do. I quickly discovered that Little Rock didn't have much, except for a P.F. Changs, that Ft Smith, Arkansas did not, and Little Rock is over twice the size. Little Rock is also so isolated you can't really take mini-vacations. There is no comparing a large town like Little Rock and a city like Charlotte.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:23 AM

5,000 posts, read 9,143,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I could honestly say that I would choose Mobile over Jackson to live in, solely because of it's location (that's the only real advantage I see). I would have to be forced to live in either one, but Jackson should still be compared to Montgomery or Little Rock vs. Mobile.

Yes it can be compared to all three but in my opinion Mobile has a slight edge over Jackson,Montgomery,and Pensacola(it has a beach but Mobile trumps it, they come to Mobile for nightlife).I only been to Little Rock once so I can`t say but Mobile feels bigger I assume because of density,and Mobile also has more of an urban feeling than Pensacola,Montgomery and Jackson. Again the city`s DNA is on a grid.

Mobile`s Urban population is around 320,000 that is larger than Hinds County 257,631(Jackson ),Montgomery County(224,119), Escambia County 303,343(Pensacola),and only 60,000 shy of Pulaski County 381,904(Little Rock).

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/art...rbanism-mobile

Old 09-30-2010, 07:43 AM

475 posts, read 684,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post

Wow. It just LOOKS dry.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:10 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
I've heard that Mobile is doing a lot of growth economically but Jackson I really haven't heard as much. I hope Jackson starts to really grow.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I've heard that Mobile is doing a lot of growth economically but Jackson I really haven't heard as much. I hope Jackson starts to really grow.

They will, Jackson has a couple of up and coming developments for it.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:07 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times
Education: Mobile has a larger state university, but Jackson has a few private colleges in the area plus a large HBCU, and a Medical School. Edge to Jackson

Housing: Tie, but I've always liked the Government Street area in Mobile

Nightlife: Edge to Mobile

Jobs: Jackson is a state capital as well as a decent healthcare sector. Mobile has a lot of port related jobs.

Sports: Tie?

Infrastructure: Jackson has a better highway system. The Wallace Tunnel is a major chokepoint, and US 98 in Alabama should have been widened or bypassed at least 20 years ago. When I lived in Florida and would have to travel to Mississippi, I always hated how you had to pass through miles of traffic lights and development just to get to I-65, plus the nightmare truck traffic on the two-laned portion. Mississippi widened their section of 98 long ago.

I lived in Jackson for years, and was quite familiar with Mobile from traveling there. I like the location of Mobile better, and it's close to the beaches, so I'd pick Mobile by default.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Education: Mobile has a larger state university, but Jackson has a few private colleges in the area plus a large HBCU, and a Medical School. Edge to Jackson

I lived in Jackson for years, and was quite familiar with Mobile from traveling there. I like the location of Mobile better, and it's close to the beaches, so I'd pick Mobile by default.

Oh yeah Jackson does have a large HBCU and the University of South Alabama is a medical school by the way

Old 10-01-2010, 06:33 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
LOL !!!!!! You said that Jackson is on par with Birmingham dude come on.

Education:
Jackson: Jackson state (5,955),University of Mississippi Medical Center(1,637),Behavin College(1,512),Millsapps College(1,211)
Mobile: University of South Alabama(15,050 one of the fastest growing in the region the university alone out populates every institute of higher learning in Jackson combined).Not to mention that the school has a division 1A football team that is scheduled to play LSU in 2016. Lets not forget that the football program is new(2009) and they are already scheduled to play SEC schools first on the list 2012 USA vs. Vols. Bishop state community college(3,500),University of Mobile (1,800),Springhill College (1,800 there is no institution of higher learning in Mississippi that can even come close to the credentials of this college. Springhill -First catholic college in the south, fifth oldest catholic college in the United states, and 28th oldest Jusiet college)
Mobile has the education department hands down over Jackson

Housing: median value of occupied housing units

Jackson : $ 60,000

Mobile:$ 81,000 and t FYI to just throw in New Orleans( $ 87,000)
a tie with Mobile having a slight edge on housing

Jobs: again Mobile (Thyssenkrupt,Austal,Airbus/Northrup,Saab,Degussa,ST Aerospace)

Sports: again Mobile ( USA foot ball team division 1a will be playing SEC schools starting 2012,GMAC bowl, Gulf Coast classic, and Senior Bowl( NFL coaches).The Mobile bay Bears are affiliated with the Padres I believe.
Infrastructure: Mobile, again we have the tenth largest port and growing which mean the tenth spot will be given to some one else soon. I-10 has nothing to do with our GROWING PORT. The Wallace Tunnel is only bottle necked during Spring break,4th of July, and Memorial day. Our infrastructure is the reason why we landed ThyssenKrupp and won the 40 billion dollar tanker deal twice. And there is a sufficient connection to I-165 and I-10 Google it’ll.

SKYLINE: Why even bother debating with you on this..... the skyline pic at the beginning of the thread says it all. And no Jackson isn’t more dense than Mobile. Google it go to emporis or what ever. Mobile is more dense than Jackson hands down and even Baton Rouge(facts are facts). Mobile has a better grid than Jackson, Baton Rouge,Shreveport,Montgomery.Huntsville and Pensacola !(Google maps or street maps will prove me right.

Take away the thre tallest(a crown has been added on another building now) and Mobile would still be more dense than Jackson.

Shopping: tie
If Mobile is the clear cut winner in this comparison in your mind, then why the comparison?????

Old 10-04-2010, 10:15 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,399,553 times
This is a great comparison.

Education: Essentially a tie.

Housing: Another tie, but I'm leaning towards Jackson here.

Nightlife: Another tie, but Mardi Gras and beach access give Mobile a slight edge IMHO.

Jobs: Probably another tie, but I'm leaning toward Jackson because of the recent construction boom. Not sure about Mobile in that regard.

Sports: Another tie.

Infrastructure: I think Jackson's highway system is superior overall. It's impressive for a city Jackson's size.

Shopping Not too sure about Mobile, but I know what Jackson has and it's pretty respectable, especially when Harbor Walk is complete.

*Added this category*
Skyline This is really difficult because Jackson's is definitely bigger, but Mobile is considerably taller. Jackson's skyline is really decent to me, better than Montgomery or even Baton Rouge but I like Mobile's architecture better. I really can't give an honest nod either way because both make up for what the other lacks.

Overall I think Mobile deserves the nod because of it's European flair and the bay, but they're so close that it's not even funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City