Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cincinnati vs. Atlanta
Cincinnati 48 36.36%
Atlanta 84 63.64%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:25 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times

Advertisements

Well it seems like we've lost our collective minds.

Hey guys look. This is three miles from downtown atlanta

But look at three miles from downtown Cincinnati!

OF COURSE THIS IS MEANINGLESS! Cherry picking data at its worst. I'm trying to fact check people about Cincinnati because there are so many misconceptions. I like both cities, of course I prefer Cincinnati or I wouldn't live here. But Atlanta is nice too and as the above poster mentioned, it is a sleek modern city! Far more so than Cincinnati. No one lives in the past like we do! How could anything else be so? Cincinnati boomed from 1860-1900 and Atlanta boomed from 1960-2000!

It is fun to compare cities. It gives all of us a chance to learn about each. Neither is "better" they are just different. We should try to refrain from getting overly defensive or offensive in these threads.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:26 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
That picture actually reminded me of Santa Rosa downtown.
And as I said above, that same picture reminds ME of Greenwich Village in NYC -- and I've walked around both these neighborhoods, GV and Fairlie-Poplar, many times. I used to work one block from F-P. So I guess it depends on what you want to see? Not based in reality at all?

GREENWICH VILLAGE! No wait ... some small suburban town?!

Last edited by Newsboy; 10-08-2010 at 12:37 PM..

Old 10-08-2010, 12:29 PM

884 posts, read 2,641,405 times
Cincinnati has 63 pages on City Data VS 273 for Atlanta.

It looks like way more people would want to live in Atlanta, even by looking at the number of "I want to move to Atlanta threads".

Now Cincy is my home and it will always be special but they are not in the same league and they really are not similar at all. A bunch of my college friends graduated from UC (Univ of Cincinnati) and quickly moved to Altanta in the early/mid 90's. As minorities they did quite well. I've been to Atlanta and if I had to move again I think I would choose ATL before CIN because I can't stand the cold and snow and the overcast gray skies during the winter.

Cincy DOES have great Architecture, parks and photo ops.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:35 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
OF COURSE THIS IS MEANINGLESS! Cherry picking data at its worst. I'm trying to fact check people about Cincinnati because there are so many misconceptions. I like both cities, of course I prefer Cincinnati or I wouldn't live here. But Atlanta is nice too and as the above poster mentioned, it is a sleek modern city! Far more so than Cincinnati. No one lives in the past like we do! How could anything else be so? Cincinnati boomed from 1860-1900 and Atlanta boomed from 1960-2000!

It is fun to compare cities. It gives all of us a chance to learn about each. Neither is "better" they are just different. We should try to refrain from getting overly defensive or offensive in these threads.
I agree totally with what you're saying!

Just to nitpick though...

Atlanta's population has boomed in two different periods:

From 1870 to 1950 - going from a population of 20,000 to 331,000 (similar to what happened in Cincy)

From 1960 to 1990 it went through "Urban Renewal" and population loss - losing 120,000 residents and a lot of historic buildings in the process

From 1990 to 2010 it boomed once again and went from a population 396,000 to 550,000

This has caused some of the oddities people have mentioned about Atlanta such as an old brownstone that looks like it belongs elsewhere right beneath a modern 60 story skyscraper, old Victorian townhomes right next to 20 story glass condos, etc. I guess that's why people get so confused about what kind of city urban Atlanta is. If you turn around, go around a corner, go three neighborhoods over it's like you're going through 3 or 4 different cities.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:36 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
And as I said above, that same picture reminds ME of Greenwich Village in NYC -- and I've walked around both these neighborhoods, GV and Fairlie-Poplar, many times. I used to work one block from F-P. So I guess it depends on what you want to see? Not based in reality at all?
Take a chill pill Newsboy. I already said that is obviously an urban area but from the first example of what you can see in the picture it wasn't obvious. Nothing to do with what I want to see, was just going on the pic and made a comment, again, chill. Waronxmas provided much better examples already so you can see the area in context.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Take a chill pill Newsboy. I already said that is obviously an urban area but from the first example of what you can see in the picture it wasn't obvious. Nothing to do with what I want to see, was just going on the pic and made a comment, again, chill. Waronxmas provided much better examples already so you can see the area in context.
YEAH? And that picture I posted above ^^^ of Greenwich Village doesn't exactly look "urban" to the naked eye either, much less a street in the heart of Manhattan. But you and I both know better. Unless you've been to a place and stood in the middle of it, you can't really know. But if people SAY that's what it is, at least give them them the benefit of the doubt, dude. You just dismissed that Atlanta pic as something "suburban" which it most obviously is not, and now you're backtracking.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:24 PM

23,443 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
^^^ WHAT HE SAID! I mean, COME ON! That picture of Fairlie-Poplar might as well be Greenwich Village. Same urban feel, same density, same low-rise buildings with lots of street-level retail, dining, pedestrian traffic, etc.

GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY ALREADY! What does Atlanta have to do to prove to you people that it's MUCH MUCH MORE than what you *think* it is!

Thank you, NB, but it's 'she', not 'he'.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:12 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
Okay then. One more comparison and I will try to be more fair this time. It seems to me that Cincinnati's Vine Street pretty much slices through the urban heart of Cincinnati and everyone ofcourse knows Peachtree Street is the heart of Atlanta. So how about we check the two out.

Starting with Start of Vine Street Downtown.

Now start of Peachtree Street Downtown

Vine Street After One Mile

Peachtree at One Mile (couldn't find a clear image here) Notice dense and tall buildup

Vine Street at 2.5 miles

Peachtree at 2.5 miles

Vine Street at 4 miles.

Peachtree at 4 miles.

Finally Vine Street at 7 miles.

Peachtree at 7 miles.

I'm not saying anything on the urbaness of these pics. I'll let them speak for themselves. Now moving on. Which city has better entertainment?

Old 10-08-2010, 03:16 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,019 times
Really not a contest at all.....ATL. Cicny is great and has a great history, but cannot come close to Atlanta's tier.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:28 PM

Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Okay then. One more comparison and I will try to be more fair this time. It seems to me that Cincinnati's Vine Street pretty much slices through the urban heart of Cincinnati and everyone ofcourse knows Peachtree Street is the heart of Atlanta. So how about we check the two out.

Starting with Start of Vine Street Downtown.

Now start of Peachtree Street Downtown

Vine Street After One Mile

Peachtree at One Mile (couldn't find a clear image here) Notice dense and tall buildup

Vine Street at 2.5 miles

Peachtree at 2.5 miles

Vine Street at 4 miles.

Peachtree at 4 miles.

Finally Vine Street at 7 miles.

Peachtree at 7 miles.

I'm not saying anything on the urbaness of these pics. I'll let them speak for themselves. Now moving on. Which city has better entertainment?
WOW! Let's see here: So just 2.5 miles from Cincinnati's center core, it has already begun transitioning into what appears to be a rural, suburban, small-town?

WOW!

And yet Atlanta just gets more and more urban with every passing mile? To the point that when you are 7 (seven!) miles beyond the central business district, you are still in a dense area of 50-story skyscrapers? WOW! Who could have imagined that?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.