Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cincinnati vs. Atlanta
Cincinnati 48 36.36%
Atlanta 84 63.64%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 05:28 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Atlanta has about the same population density as Cincinnati. The suburban county Dekalb is actually more densely populated than Cincinnatis' Hamilton County.

If you take Metro Atlanta's Fulton, Dekalb, Cobb and Gwinnet Counties they have in 1588 square miles 1 million more people than Cincinnati's entire 6700 square mile Metro area.
I enjoyed your comparison of the streets at set distances from the downtown core...that was interesting. I don't remember seeing anyone do that type of comparison before.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:33 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post

*Source: Atlanta Regional Commission 2009
Low population densities characterize the Atlanta region comparison with the nation's largest regions...yet high population growth also characterizes the Atlanta region comparison with other regions. And?

I'm not sure what the information you posted is supposed to show...did you think no one knew?

Old 10-09-2010, 06:10 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,493 times
ALl you guys have to do is watch another 48 hours they show alot of differents parts Of Cincy..

Old 10-09-2010, 06:35 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post

As far as "country" I don't want to even get into that because it can be taken into to many different contexts. Me personally, I see country and rural as two completely different things.
Quote:
My point is that in any other direction they start to look a like. Saying "Oh, well 7 miles out of Cincinnati is farmland, but 7 miles of Atlanta is all of this urbanity" is thrown out because I can go 7 miles west or east of Atlanta and be staring at pine trees and open land. The peachtree corridor and some of the outlying nodes are truely dense/urban, but in no way does that describe the city or that area as a whole. Looking at the size of the two and location of one I would expect Cincinnati to be much denser than it is outside of it's core and Atlanta to be denser all around, just because of its size alone. Now if you scale the populations and size of both they're probably even in terms of where there are compared to their peers development wise.

I think it was pretty clear what he meant by country. I think his exact words were country as a John Deere tractor or a can of Skoal.

And far as finding pine trees and open land seven miles East of Atlanta. Yes you can find area's that look that way in that area but it is still densely populated there with lots of large apartment complexes, and other dense residential developments. As a matter of fact I think Clarkston is about that far or farther east of Atlanta and it is the most densely populated town in all of Georgia with over 7,200 people in 1.1 square miles.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:19 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
ALl you guys have to do is watch another 48 hours they show alot of differents parts Of Cincy..
Uh ... ok

Old 10-10-2010, 12:37 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I can go 7 miles west or east of Atlanta and be staring at pine trees and open land.
HEY! I want to know where this "open land" is 7 miles east and west from downtown Atlanta, because that's gotta be some prime real estate! Nice try, NOLA but ... FAIL! The city of Decatur is 7 miles east of downtown ATL. The other direction is heavily industrial.

BTW ... The comparison was of the urban landscape along each cities' main streets, which is perfectly legit.

What is 7 miles north or south of your beloved city's CBD? Nothing but water if I recall ...

Stick to what you know please.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:01 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
BTW ... drove through the ATL @ midnight tonight on my way home. Traffic was light, so I was able to take it all in. Incredible as always what this city has become. I understand why visitors just passing thru on their way to FLA have accidents on the DT Connector. That skyline all lit up just gets more and more breathtaking every year. Midtown to downtown has filled in nicely with some of the most awesome architecture in the world. And then when you get up on the elevated part of 85 north and look over to your left at Buckhead, there's this whole other city over there that's just as big as downtown stretching across the horizon.

Amazing how much has been built in such a short time. Outside of NYC and Chicago, I really think no other US city compares now to ATL for sheer mass and variety of buildings. All the photos posted on this site don't do it justice. You have to see it -- and if you haven't seen it in 3-4 years, then you HAVEN'T seen it, it has changed so much in that time. I'm convinced that a lot of the ATL naysayers on C-D just haven't been to the city in awhile (if at all).

Old 10-10-2010, 04:10 AM

531 posts, read 1,143,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
BTW ... drove through the ATL @ midnight tonight on my way home. Traffic was light, so I was able to take it all in. Incredible as always what this city has become. I understand why visitors just passing thru on their way to FLA have accidents on the DT Connector. That skyline all lit up just gets more and more breathtaking every year. Midtown to downtown has filled in nicely with some of the most awesome architecture in the world. And then when you get up on the elevated part of 85 north and look over to your left at Buckhead, there's this whole other city over there that's just as big as downtown stretching across the horizon.

Amazing how much has been built in such a short time. Outside of NYC and Chicago, I really think no other US city compares now to ATL for sheer mass and variety of buildings. All the photos posted on this site don't do it justice. You have to see it -- and if you haven't seen it in 3-4 years, then you HAVEN'T seen it, it has changed so much in that time. I'm convinced that a lot of the ATL naysayers on C-D just haven't been to the city in awhile (if at all).

LOL

Old 10-10-2010, 04:23 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
LOL
Honestly I read that and had the same reaction. Nothing against Atlanta but I think that post was overwhelmingly exaggerated especially the part of "some of the best architecture in the world". I thought straight about Rome, Prague, Venice, Chicago, Tokyo, New York City, London, Paris, Nice, all these other places.

I live in Houston (as well as Chicago), and to be honest, its not an urban city in the name of it, it has pockets of urban areas but the city overall is not. I can admit to that and so can most other people from Houston, its still a city, but its just not urban, and has a long way to go. But I would never sit here and try and try repeatedly to say something that just isn't altogether true. Urban- New York City, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Boston, Washington DC. And that's pretty much it for major cities.

Like I said, there is nothing wrong with the way Atlanta is, but I've been reading this thread and there really is a lot of over exaggerating, and I normally never call out exaggerations but people from Cincinnati & Atlanta on this thread need to chill out. Both cities are comparable in terms of density, there is no reason to sit here mocking one to boost another.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:26 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
LOL
No. True Story. I think he's telling the truth except for one thing. He left Miami, Houston, and DFW out of that list above. Miami's skyline has also really exploded in growth over the past few years and it along with Houston may compare to Atlanta except it's buildings aren't as tall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City