Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cincinnati vs. Atlanta
Cincinnati 48 36.36%
Atlanta 84 63.64%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 08:46 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times

Advertisements

The comparison of Atlanta to Cincinnati isn't totally unlike the comparison of NYC to Atlanta in another thread. There is no way Atlanta would ever win that one...NYC has too much to offer comparatively, just like Atlanta has too much to offer compared to Cincy. That's not to take anything away from either Atlanta or Cincy, and it doesn't mean that there aren't people who would choose the underdog in either case...but it's still not a fair comparison.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:51 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Boy. Talk about your subjective standards. When I lived in Ohio first thing came to my mind when I got to Georgia was how much more attractive the landscape was compared to Ohio. The only thing that appealed to me about Cincinnati was the River and the hills surrounding it were kind of nice.

Atlanta is in a lush forest with a big River, lots of hills, Mountains not far away. Maybe you have skyline confused with natural landscape. Or maybe you just love the Ohio River that much?
Boy, Talk about your subjective standards. When i visited both places, Atlanta seemed like any other city (naturally), and Cincinnati stuck out with those hills and huge river. All in all, Cincinnati is a much more attractive looking city than Atlanta. Just my opinion. Atlanta definitely has some nice old, and even some new, neighborhoods, but its just not enough to begin to compare with the beauty of the architecture of Cincinnati.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:16 AM

436 posts, read 951,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The comparison of Atlanta to Cincinnati isn't totally unlike the comparison of NYC to Atlanta in another thread. There is no way Atlanta would ever win that one...NYC has too much to offer comparatively, just like Atlanta has too much to offer compared to Cincy. That's not to take anything away from either Atlanta or Cincy, and it doesn't mean that there aren't people who would choose the underdog in either case...but it's still not a fair comparison.
Like what? What does Atlanta have that Cincy doesn't?

Not just sheer amounts of people. What things that make a city rich and enjoyable does Atlanta have that aren't in Cincy?

This is what I'm after. So many people in this thread seem to equate with bigger being better, without seeing what flesh is on the bones.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:54 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post

Not just sheer amounts of people. What things that make a city rich and enjoyable does Atlanta have that aren't in Cincy?

This is what I'm after. So many people in this thread seem to equate with bigger being better, without seeing what flesh is on the bones.
I'm about to get back with you on that when I have more time. Will need about an hour to add it all up. Seriously.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:00 AM

436 posts, read 951,729 times
Quote:
I'm about to get back with you on that when I have more time. Will need about an hour to add it all up. Seriously.
You do that. I'm really keen on seeing something deeper than "Atlanta has suburbs named Decatur and Norcross, and Cincinnati doesn't."

Old 10-02-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:

SO many things...if you are experienced in visiting larger cities then you don't have to be updated on what they offer in comparison to smaller cities. It's simply common knowledge that a city of nearly 6 million people will offer A LOT more variety of amenities than a city of 2 million. Sorry, but it's true. I'm not going to get drawn into listing all the ways for you - that's an attempt to argue, and it's silly.

If you're arrogant enough to think that Cincinnati offers as much as Atlanta, then fine. Do you equally think that Atlanta offers as much as Chicago? I don't, and most other people don't either. A larger city simply offers more. Period.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:16 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,427 times
Quote:
You do that. I'm really keen on seeing something deeper than "Atlanta has suburbs named Decatur and Norcross, and Cincinnati doesn't."
Off the top of my head. The worlds busiest airport. The worlds largest aquarium, a tourable international News Network Studio,Other National Televison Network and Movie Studios, America's largest and 4th highest ranked Engineering School, (Emory) America's 20th highest ranked University right behind Notre Dame, Parks and monuments left over from the Summer Olympics, A heavy rail transit system, The worlds largest collection of historical black colleges, America's fastest growing Korean community,One of America's largest music industries, Nationally televised music annual music award shows, America's (some say the worlds) tallest hotel, an NBA team, an NHL team. there's more but I don't have time for now... Will definitely be back.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:23 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Off the top of my head. The worlds busiest airport. The worlds largest aquarium, a tourable international News Network Studio,Other National Televison Network and Movie Studios, America's largest and 4th highest ranked Engineering School, (Emory) America's 20th highest ranked University right behind Notre Dame, Parks and monuments left over from the Summer Olympics, A heavy rail transit system, The worlds largest collection of historical black colleges, America's fastest growing Korean community,One of America's largest music industries, Nationally televised music annual music award shows, America's (some say the worlds) tallest hotel, an NBA team. there's more but I don't have time for now... Will definitely be back.
atlanta has the tallest hotel in the world and u.s.? that is news to me...

Old 10-02-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Off the top of my head. The worlds busiest airport. The worlds largest aquarium, a tourable international News Network Studio,Other National Televison Network and Movie Studios, America's largest and 4th highest ranked Engineering School, (Emory) America's 20th highest ranked University right behind Notre Dame, Parks and monuments left over from the Summer Olympics, A heavy rail transit system, The worlds largest collection of historical black colleges, America's fastest growing Korean community,One of America's largest music industries, Nationally televised music annual music award shows, America's (some say the worlds) tallest hotel, there's more but I don't have time for now... Will definitely be back.

Some people get very defensive when they realize that their city just isn't up to par in comparison with another city - especially one in the dreaded South. This same person would probably have no problem admiting that Chicago or Philadelphia has more to offer than Cincinnati...but Atlanta? Surely not!

If anyone disparaged Cincy in this thread then that's his/her opinion, but it seems that most people commented that they like the city - no matter how they voted here. There is no need to get so testy over the comparison and the fact that Atlanta is just a much larger city with much larger city amenities.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
atlanta has the tallest hotel in the world and u.s.? that is news to me...
The Westin Peachtree Plaza was the tallest in the world for many years (73 floors), but it is currently listed as the 2nd tallest in the Western Hemisphere Westin Peachtree Plaza Hotel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Asia got us again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City