Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cincinnati vs. Atlanta
Cincinnati 48 36.36%
Atlanta 84 63.64%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 11:29 AM

11 posts, read 33,099 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Cincy, but I've been to Hotlanta many times and I can't get out of there quick enough. I've never hated anywhere more than ATL. I will never visit again...if I had to choose it'd be Cincy all the way...and I'm from the South!

Old 10-02-2010, 11:33 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,755,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundRoundGetAround View Post
I've never been to Cincy, but I've been to Hotlanta many times and I can't get out of there quick enough. I've never hated anywhere more than ATL. I will never visit again...if I had to choose it'd be Cincy all the way...and I'm from the South!
That's cool...it has had the opposite affect on you than on 95% of the people who visit, and that's the thing about opinions - they can vary from person to person. It sounds like bad things happened to you in Atlanta. That can turn anyone off.

It isn't normally about which region someone is from...but on city-data, people are more likely to support cities in their own region and be highly critical of cities in another region - usually the South. But it's okay, most of us realize that it isn't like this in the real world.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:34 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,425,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The Westin Peachtree Plaza was the tallest in the world for many years (73 floors), but it is currently listed as the 2nd tallest in the Western Hemisphere Westin Peachtree Plaza Hotel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Asia got us again!
somebody needs to update that wikipedia then. Just off top of my head, Trump international hotel in Chicago is 92 floors and 423m, Westin is 220m. I wouldn't doubt if there are more that are taller given it is wrong on that. Here is full list http://www.emporis.com/en/bu/sk/st/tp/ty/ho/

Looks like Detroit Marriot is actually taller as well.

Looks like their qualification might be hotel only though, weird and interesting. Seems that if it has some mixed residential thrown in, they aren't included... Extremely odd and misleading as in general these can be changed from hotel rooms to residential condos at will in some buildings.

Anyway, the Westin is pretty impressive in its own right.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
somebody needs to update that wikipedia then. Just off top of my head, Trump international hotel in Chicago is 92 floors and 423m, Westin is 220m. I wouldn't doubt if there are more that are taller given it is wrong on that.
Is Trump International all hotel? I was thinking that it was partly residential - most of them are nowadays.

The fact listed on widipedia sounds pretty accurate to me, unless the Chicago building is strictly a hotel. **I just looked it up to find it listed as a hotel/condo tower, so there's your answer.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
somebody needs to update that wikipedia then. Just off top of my head, Trump international hotel in Chicago is 92 floors and 423m, Westin is 220m. I wouldn't doubt if there are more that are taller given it is wrong on that. Here is full list World's Tallest Hotels | Emporis.com

Looks like Detroit Marriot is actually taller as well.

Looks like their qualification might be hotel only though, weird and interesting.
I'm not sure why it's weird to rank the tallest hotels in the world without considering the ones that are multi-use towers...those wouldn't be hotels, but hotel/condos.

The RenCen Marriott in Detroit is the tallest hotel in the Western Hemisphere. The Westin Peachtree Plaza is second, so the wikipedia article is correct.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:50 AM

614 posts, read 1,759,557 times
Imo, in this thread it seems like nobody knows anything about Cincinnati except from what they have "heard", so im not taking this thread too seriously.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzona View Post
Imo, in this thread it seems like nobody knows anything about Cincinnati except from what they have "heard", so im not taking this thread too seriously.
I don't get that idea at all, but that's cool. From the comments I've read, most people have a pretty positive image of Cincinnati whether they have visited the city or not. I've only been there once so I wouldn't pretend to know much about it, but I liked what I saw.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:59 AM

436 posts, read 948,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Off the top of my head. The worlds busiest airport.
Yep. That's something.

Quote:
The worlds largest aquarium,
Cincy has a very nice aquarium, too.

Quote:
a tourable international News Network Studio,
That's certainly a thing, but I'm not sure how that makes living in a place any better.

Quote:
Other National Televison Network and Movie Studios,
See above.

Quote:
America's largest and 4th highest ranked Engineering School, (Emory)
America's 20th highest ranked University right behind Notre Dame,
Cincy has UC, Xavier and Miami. For university-type stuff for people who are out of college, both cities are sufficient.

Quote:
Parks and monuments left over from the Summer Olympics,
You have to go a long way to start getting anywhere near Cincy's parks. They have Atlanta beat, by a long way.

Quote:
A heavy rail transit system,
Amtrak stops in Cincy, too.

Atlanta's light rail system, Marta, is one heck of an accomplishment and an enviable thing.

Quote:
The worlds largest collection of historical black colleges,
How does this make living in Atlanta better?

Quote:
America's fastest growing Korean community,
How does this make living in Atlanta better? I don't ever have any plans to visit Korea. Can't see much about it that I want here.

Quote:
One of America's largest music industries,
Really? I didn't know this. What type of music?

Quote:
Nationally televised music annual music award shows,
That's cool. Which one? CMT? Grammy's? Anyway, how does this make living in Atlanta better?

Quote:
America's (some say the worlds) tallest hotel,
How does this make living in Atlanta better? Atlanta has an awesome skyline. Tall buildings are cool to look at, but how does it matter if one is a hotel?

Quote:
an NBA team,
Noted.

Quote:
an NHL team.
Noted, but remember, Cincy has three horse racing tracks, and Atlanta has none.

Cincy has far and away the greatest grocery store in America. DKFM doesn't come close.

Cincy has one of the finest amusement parks in the world.

Cincy has Findlay Market.

Cincy has about 20 authentic neighborhoods.

Cincy has around a half dozen trap and skeet ranges. Atlanta has one.

Cincy has a 300 yard rifle range. Atlanta doesn't.

Cincy has an outstanding museum of art - free of charge.

Cincy has one of the few bunker trap installations in America. Atlanta had one for the Olympics, but closed those great facilities after the Olympics ended.

Quote:
there's more but I don't have time for now... Will definitely be back.
Cool. Great job.

You forgot Atlanta's biggest achievement - no snow.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:04 PM

Typical...someone asks for a list of things, then goes through and poo-poos almost all of them. It would be nice if they limited this site to adults only.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:07 PM

436 posts, read 948,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Typical...someone asks for a list of things, then goes through and poo-poos almost all of them. It would be nice if they limited this site to adults only.
Deacon, as usual, you wade in over your head. The list was requested as an inventory of ways Atlanta is superior to Cincy. As such, each claim of superiority must be evaluated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City