Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which "rust belt" city stands the best chance at an economic rebound?
Toledo, OH 7 7.53%
Dayton, OH 14 15.05%
Cleveland, OH 55 59.14%
Detroit, MI 18 19.35%
Flint, MI 3 3.23%
Buffalo, NY 26 27.96%
Other (specify) 12 12.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 04:10 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,501,714 times

Advertisements

It seems the only places still having issues is concentrated in a core area. Rust Belt type cities outside of this core seem to have stabilized or recovered at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 11:26 PM

208 posts, read 631,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
It seems the only places still having issues is concentrated in a core area. Rust Belt type cities outside of this core seem to have stabilized or recovered at this point.
yes....It seems like the cities on the fringe of it seem to have fared or recovered the best. Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Indianapolis are examples.

I wish this region could eventually be referred to as something else...IMO, "rust belt" sounds depressing and doesn't properly represent the cities that have recovered and doesn't sound very optimistic for the ones that are in the midst of or trying to recover. One step the region could take is revitalizing its image. I still love this part of the country and have confidence that most of the larger cities will recover, they have too much potential not to.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:52 AM

5,494 posts, read 9,431,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clj2 View Post
yes....It seems like the cities on the fringe of it seem to have fared or recovered the best. Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Indianapolis are examples.

I wish this region could eventually be referred to as something else...IMO, "rust belt" sounds depressing and doesn't properly represent the cities that have recovered and doesn't sound very optimistic for the ones that are in the midst of or trying to recover. One step the region could take is revitalizing its image. I still love this part of the country and have confidence that most of the larger cities will recover, they have too much potential not to.
I've introduced this concept to someone else recently. Some of us are turning lemons into lemonade, and embracing "Rust Belt Chic." Greater Youngstown 2.0: Promoting Rust Belt Chic

Old 12-08-2011, 02:25 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,240,540 times
Very interesting with the Rust Belt/Great Lakes region recent unemployment numbers:

October 2011:

1) Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN -- 5.4%
5) Pittsburgh, PA -- 6.4%
6) Rochester, NY -- 6.7%
8) Buffalo, NY -- 7.0%
10) Cleveland, OH -- 7.1%

Unemployment Rates for Large Metropolitan Areas

What's especially interesting is the rise by Rochester, Buffalo, and Cleveland, besting places like Atlanta(9.9%), Charlotte(10.2%), and Las Vegas(13.3%)

Old 12-08-2011, 02:33 PM

976 posts, read 2,230,487 times
st. louis deserves a prominent place on that list.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:38 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,758,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
st. louis deserves a prominent place on that list.
Does St. Louis qualify as "Rust Belt"?

Edit: Eh I take that back...

Old 12-08-2011, 04:48 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,870,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Does St. Louis qualify as "Rust Belt"?

Edit: Eh I take that back...
It does most certainly. And St. Louis has about an average unemployment rate, I believe 8.6%, right? National average is 8.5%.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:27 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,840,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
are we talking about the same Cleveland?
this is the Cleveland I am referring to: Dailymotion - Cleveland City - We Are Lebron [Stay Lebron Official Song] - une vidéo Sports et Extrême

Cleveland needs to hope they can regain ANY sense of dignity before they can even think about city 'pride'. When I first saw that video, I truly felt embarrassed for that city--it was hard for me to watch. I literally cringed when I heard a Cleveland city councilman sing "just tell us king, what changes we must make...we will name every street 'Lebron' if that's what it takes".
lmfao that is just pathetic. Literally only 1 step above getting on their knees and grabbing his ankles to keep him from catching that flight to Miami. No disrespect to Cleveland but I see why it lost population lol... If a big group of people made a video embarrassing my city world wide by literally begging that hard for him to stay I would be ready to move out too lol. All jokes aside I would be pretty damn pissed if I was from Cleveland and saw that video, that just made the entire city look desperate like that was the only hope the city has. Even though we know that isn't true. Let some ignorant Cleveland haters see that video and it will be a bash fest.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:20 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,240,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
lmfao that is just pathetic. Literally only 1 step above getting on their knees and grabbing his ankles to keep him from catching that flight to Miami. No disrespect to Cleveland but I see why it lost population lol... If a big group of people made a video embarrassing my city world wide by literally begging that hard for him to stay I would be ready to move out too lol. All jokes aside I would be pretty damn pissed if I was from Cleveland and saw that video, that just made the entire city look desperate like that was the only hope the city has. Even though we know that isn't true. Let some ignorant Cleveland haters see that video and it will be a bash fest.
Are you serious?? That video was a JOKE by a local Cleveland comedian. He was making fun of all the national hype and put it to the same music as the terrible tragedy of the Haiti earthquake. It was a tongue in cheek type message making fun how serious people, especially the national media, were making the "decision" a life or death situation. You gotta think time and place; Haiti had been in the news for a while by this point:

We Are The World 25 For Haiti - Official Video - YouTube

Old 12-08-2011, 11:45 PM

73 posts, read 147,782 times
none of the above
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City