Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which "rust belt" city stands the best chance at an economic rebound?
Toledo, OH 7 7.53%
Dayton, OH 14 15.05%
Cleveland, OH 55 59.14%
Detroit, MI 18 19.35%
Flint, MI 3 3.23%
Buffalo, NY 26 27.96%
Other (specify) 12 12.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 02:16 AM

208 posts, read 631,564 times

Advertisements

OK, so I may be off on some of these, but I'm going to make a poll of some once-major rust belt cities that have lost population (in the metro areas) and don't look to be doing that great, or are doing very poorly.

Will the whole "rust belt" come back? No, not in my opinion, but I think some of these cities stand a chance of coming back, at least the ones that haven't greatly declined. Some have fared better, recovered, or were never affected (Chicago, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Columbus, Indianapolis, Milwaukee could fall in to this broad criteria)....then there are the Detroits, Clevelands, etc. I didn't include a lot of them, there a lot of small/smaller towns in MI, OH, PA, etc that are hurting also...just tried to get the larger ones I could think of.

I'd be interested to see feedback...
I think I'm going with Dayton, OH....actually named #1 medium sized metro for economic development recently. JMO.

Vote away.

Last edited by clj2; 09-30-2010 at 02:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 03:15 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,596,535 times
All of them "could." It depends on the civic and political will.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
All of them "could." It depends on the civic and political will.
Very true. The areas have to re-invent themselves and look attractive to new business. If there are jobs, people will come. Some would need work on polishing their reputations again and working on their outside image.

I think these areas will see stabillization and maybe even recovery eventually, the bleeding will have to stop sometime. These are all beautiful cities in their own way (I've never been to MI so I can't speak as well with that), and I hope they can come back or at least stabilize/strengthen. Some could come back more easily (Dayton) than others though (Detroit) because they have fallen less and have better reputations.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:04 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,835,774 times
Any of the cities that lie on the great lakes. The Great Lakes hold 25% of the earth's fresh water - that's huge. Once a majority of America's experiencing drought, the only relevant cities would be those of the Great Lakes. You can't build cities without fresh water - the earths greatest commodity.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Any of the cities that lie on the great lakes. The Great Lakes hold 25% of the earth's fresh water - that's huge. Once a majority of America's experiencing drought, the only relevant cities would be those of the Great Lakes. You can't build cities without fresh water - the earths greatest commodity.
Very good point.

I think Cleveland is already on the most upswing of the cities I listed. That place has potential and even though it is still shrinking and losing population, I don't think it's too late for it to rebound. I suggest checking this thread out, if you haven't already http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...rn-cities.html

Old 09-30-2010, 04:12 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,246,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clj2 View Post
Very good point.

I think Cleveland is already on the most upswing of the cities I listed. That place has potential and even though it is still shrinking and losing population, I don't think it's too late for it to rebound. I suggest checking this thread out, if you haven't already http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...rn-cities.html
Here's also a good list of construction and renewal projects:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...ssions-27.html

Billions and Billions in development going on right now.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:25 PM

1,270 posts, read 2,166,988 times
No St. Louis?

Old 09-30-2010, 10:15 PM

531 posts, read 1,138,331 times
the answer would have been Cleveland if lebron didn't leave.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:07 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,246,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
the answer would have been Cleveland if lebron didn't leave.
If anything, it's caused locals to rededicate to city pride.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:22 AM

531 posts, read 1,138,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
If anything, it's caused locals to rededicate to city pride.

LOL ...yeah...whatever makes you feel better, man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City