Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which WSC City is most influential?
Houston 44 41.12%
Little Rock 5 4.67%
San Antonio 5 4.67%
Tulsa 3 2.80%
Fort Worth 0 0%
New Orleans 10 9.35%
Dallas 37 34.58%
OKC 1 0.93%
Austin 2 1.87%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:50 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
You're getting close but the stats for banks you posted do not list what type of banks they are nor what they do. How many of those 719 banks in Houston are banking corporate hqs, regional hqs, etc. How many employees do those banks employ? How much total assetts are controlled by those banks? The answer to these questions are one aspect of banking infrastructure. I also answered before, banking infrastructure also includes policies and human capital. Either you're not understanding or don't want want to understand that Dallas is more of banking town than Houston. Which is not a bad thing to Houston. You got TMC and the Energy capital of the world. Stop trippin.
I agree. Htown, I think it's time to give credit to Dallas. I don't know, maybe you dislike it, but that has no relevance on what the city actually has. It has as much influence on the region as Houston and neither are more influential than the other. To state otherwise would be false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 12:56 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
You're getting close but the stats for banks you posted do not list what type of banks they are nor what they do. How many of those 719 banks in Houston are banking corporate hqs, regional hqs, etc. How many employees do those banks employ? How much total assetts are controlled by those banks? The answer to these questions are one aspect of banking infrastructure. I also answered before, banking infrastructure also includes policies and human capital. Either you're not understanding or don't want want to understand that Dallas is more of banking town than Houston. Which is not a bad thing to Houston. You got TMC and the Energy capital of the world. Stop trippin.
when it comes to banking sector jobs Houston has more of it. A lot more
when it comes to headquarters, Dallas has more. Dallas does not dominate this industry.

Dallas does not dominate any industry.

I read on Dallas's economy section about how Dallas is the hub for energy. Please, Dallas is claiming industries it doesn't own.

Here is Houstons portfolio:

1. Energy- Houston rules all aspects of this worldwide.

2. Aerospace- Another powerhouse sector for us.

3. Manufactoring- Ranked one of the top 12 cities in the world for manufacturing by Industry week magazine, and second only to Chicago in the US. Houston has twice as many manufacturing Jobs as Dallas. Houston has been a Gold Medal World Class member for manufacturing for a number of years now.

Lesser sectors include

4. Medical Research

5. Technology

6. Healthcare

7. Professional services

8. Tourism

Old 10-07-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It didn't need to be corrected because what I said was true. Houston along with Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami, are the four major metros of the South. But it is not THE major metro of the South.
lol, correction again. I never said it was. Check back. I said It is THE major city in the south. also check back and peak at the title of this thread and the cities listed

Old 10-07-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
I agree. Htown, I think it's time to give credit to Dallas. I don't know, maybe you dislike it, but that has no relevance on what the city actually has. It has as much influence on the region as Houston and neither are more influential than the other. To state otherwise would be false.
I love Dallas. If you were to look at the posts I made about Dallas in the first two months that I posted here you will see only good things. I have repeatedly said that the two cities are are alike.

I just think that Houston is constantly put down and its achievements are constantly understated, while that of Dallas are most times grossly overstated.

show me some data about Dallas's dominance in one single industry and I will believe you. I am very open to knowledge. show me one thing that was not created by Dallas's board of propaganda and I will give credit

Old 10-07-2010, 01:03 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, correction again. I never said it was. Check back. I said It is THE major city in the south. also check back and peak at the title of this thread and the cities listed
And that is false and again, my post didn't need to be corrected. It was the truth.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
And that is false and again, my post didn't need to be corrected. It was the truth.
you have your opinions, I have mine

Old 10-07-2010, 01:12 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Airport in Terms of Cargo (Total cargo metric tonnes):
01. Memphis (3,697,054 tonnes)
02. Hong Kong (3,385,313 tonnes)
03. Shanghai (2,543,394 tonnes)
04. Seoul (2,313,001 tonnes)
05. Paris (2,054,515 tonnes)
29. Dallas-Fort Worth (578,906 tonnes)
Source: World's busiest airports by cargo traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Airports by Traffic Movements:
01. Atlanta
02. Chicago
03. Dallas-Fort Worth (638,782)
Source: World's busiest airports by traffic movements - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

International traffic update through June 2008:
DFW: 2,740,229 Down 1.2% from 2007
IAH: 4,132,678 Up 6.5% from 2007

Like I said in my post on the last page, Texas works together as a state, every metro relies upon each other to get things passed and get things moving. I see shared responsibility between them all.
My post from the last page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Danny View Post
Overall it does well for itself. Yeah it has one of the most diverse economies, US Future Magazines stated Chicago as the most diverse economy in the country which is one of the reasons its economy hasn't tanked during the Recession, Bay Area, New York City, & DFW would probably round about the top of that list as well for the top economies in diversity. Both DFW & Houston added 1.2 Million & 1.3 Million people respectively which is such a massive amount for Metros of their size to be adding in for the decade.

Globally the world economy is being based off Latin America & Asia, its shifted to those centers. The reason both Houston & DFW have grown so much is because they offer the best economic quality in the nation right now for expansion. The two Texas cities are a team, both their airports are among the busiest in the country, Houston more with International traffic and Dallas more with National traffic, DFW handles more cargo than IAH but IAH still round abouts large amounts itself.
The two Metros just function as one, for example, shipments in Port of Houston comes in mainly from Asia (Via Panama Canal) & Latin America, and Houston's port system is expected to increase activity by 27% this decade to sure fire become America's main sea port (Thanks to Panamax 2014 being underway), and they are now building a brand new port on Bolivar Island so that way maxing out wont be a problem this decade. What DFW gets out of that is freight transportation to the rest of the United States. Houston handles Freight nicely also, but DFW is just one of the best links in the country, and majority of Houston's cargo goes through DFW.
Economically DFW is already diverse, they have their hands on many sectors, Houston is becoming more diverse each day and more sectors today play a larger role in its economy than they did in the past but its something its going to be working on a lot this decade, by the end of the decade it should have a fairly diverse and established/stabilized economy.

But thats just the beauty of their economic aspects, the Texas Triangle cities in general work together because they need each other more than anything to function.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:14 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Here is one not put out by Dallas board of propaganda, the GaWC has Dallas a beta city, Houston is a beta- city. There's one for starters. And no one is dowplaying Houston. I think it amy seem that way now is due to what seems to be unfair and inaccurate remarks regarding the strength of Dallas's economy. It doesnlt need to dominate and industry, it just has to be more advantageous than Houston. If it has a leg up on Houston in a particular industry then it will get more recognition due to the region they share.

Think of NYC vs Phily only they're the same size. That's what you have with Houston vs Dallas. Although Houston dominates more industries, Dallas is more balanced (not saying Houston isn't, because it is) and when it leads Houston it also leads the region.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:19 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Here is one not put out by Dallas board of propaganda, the GaWC has Dallas a beta city, Houston is a beta- city. There's one for starters. And no one is dowplaying Houston. I think it amy seem that way now is due to what seems to be unfair and inaccurate remarks regarding the strength of Dallas's economy. It doesnlt need to dominate and industry, it just has to be more advantageous than Houston. If it has a leg up on Houston in a particular industry then it will get more recognition due to the region they share.

Think of NYC vs Phily only they're the same size. That's what you have with Houston vs Dallas. Although Houston dominates more industries, Dallas is more balanced (not saying Houston isn't, because it is) and when it leads Houston it also leads the region.
GaWC placed Dallas higher because its the cultural capital of Texas. They explain that in their website. Their metrics used are literally some of the most pointless ones there can be. I normally look at all of the 7 rankings together and they are the same ranked.

And Foreign Policy on their power index ranked Houston are one of the worlds top 40 cities, Dallas didn't rank. It goes each way, one study to another. They all have different variables.

Here is Foreign Policy Rankings: http://www.foreignpolicy.com/node/373401
2010 Ranking:
01 New York
02 London
03 Tokyo
04 Paris
05 Hong Kong
06 Chicago
07 Los Angeles

08 Singapore
09 Sydney
10 Seoul
11 Brussels
12 San Francisco
13 Washington DC

14 Toronto
15 Beijing
16 Berlin
17 Madrid
18 Vienna
19 Boston
20-tie Frankfurt
20-tie Shanghai
22 Buenos Aires
23 Stockholm
24 Zurich
25 Moscow
26 Barcelona
27 Dubai
28 Rome
29 Amsterdam
30 Mexico City
31 Montreal
32 Geneva
33-tie Miami
33-tie Munich
35 Sao Paulo
36 Bangkok
37 Copenhagen
38 Houston
39 Taipei
40 Atlanta
41 Istanbul
42 Milan
43 Cairo
44 Dublin
45 New Delhi
46 Mumbai
47 Osaka
48 Kuala Lumpur
49 Rio de Janeiro
50 Tel Aviv

And here is ALL of the other 7 rankings and studies combined. The difference between DFW & Houston is the same as Chicago & Los Angeles essentially a tie. Different studies have put one above the other in the past. And 2 studies 9as evident on the chart) didn't even bother with DFW & Houston so we really don't know which one of the two would have come out on top. This chart combines GaWC, Rand McNally, Brookings, and other studies all in one for full score.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Danny View Post
Airport in Terms of Cargo (Total cargo metric tonnes):
01. Memphis (3,697,054 tonnes)
02. Hong Kong (3,385,313 tonnes)
03. Shanghai (2,543,394 tonnes)
04. Seoul (2,313,001 tonnes)
05. Paris (2,054,515 tonnes)
29. Dallas-Fort Worth (578,906 tonnes)
Source: World's busiest airports by cargo traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Airports by Traffic Movements:
01. Atlanta
02. Chicago
03. Dallas-Fort Worth (638,782)
Source: World's busiest airports by traffic movements - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

International traffic update through June 2008:
DFW: 2,740,229 Down 1.2% from 2007
IAH: 4,132,678 Up 6.5% from 2007

Like I said in my post on the last page, Texas works together as a state, every metro relies upon each other to get things passed and get things moving. I see shared responsibility between them all.
wow, Memphis kicks arse. Is that due to Fedex??

But you just helped my point. Look at Houston for shipping tonnage. Then Look at Dallas for air tonnage. They do well, but they do not command any global stronghold. They are ranked 29th in the world for air cargo, while The Houston area is ranked 1st in the US and 9th worldwide in seacargo.

List of world's busiest port regions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yes that is ahead of Southern California and ahead of the mississippi river delta.

also you stopped the world's busiest airports count at 3. Houston, was just 3 spots down from DFW

Last edited by HtownLove; 10-07-2010 at 01:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City