U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-05-2010, 07:14 PM

3,070 posts, read 7,224,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I think people are wrongly associating projects with high crime. Here are the cities who have the highest percentage of public housing:

Link

Boston - 14,000 units - 5.5% of housing units
New York - 178,554 units - 5.4% of housing units
Baltimore - 10,000 units - 3.4% of housing units
Minneapolis - 5,800 units - 3.3% of housing units
Washington DC - 8,000 units - 2.8% of housing units
Oakland - 3,308 units - 2% of housing units
San Francisco - 6,575 units - 1.8% of housing units
Milwaukee - 4,303 units - 1.8% of housing units
Seattle - 5,200 units - 1.8% of housing units
Sacramento - 3,144 units - 1.7% of housing units
Chicago - 16,500 units - 1.4% of housing units
Detroit - 4,000 units - 1.1% of housing units
Kansas City, MO - 1,964 units - 0.9% of housing units
Houston - 4,200 units - 0.5% of housing units
Los Angeles - 9,300 units - 0.7% of housing units
San Diego - 1,800 units - 0.4% of housing units

Of those 16 cities, only 3 appear on the "most dangerous neighborhoods" list. Boston & New York City, which have the two highest percentages of public housing in the country, are also among the safest major cities in the country.
I think that public housing unit list is BS, many of them seem way off. Also Cleveland currently has 12,000 units in the city limits alone, which is 5.6% of the total housing units, higher than any city on that list.

Cleveland has the #2 and #20 places on this list, both areas are made up of 90% public housing projects. I can't say they're the most dangerous in the city though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-05-2010, 07:24 PM

3,188 posts, read 5,438,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I just came across this article:

25 most dangerous neighborhoods 2010

The sad thing is Atlanta has 4 of them in the top 25, more than any other city. But at least now I really know where to avoid. #1 most dangerous neighborhood is West Lake in Chicago. .
That's not a neighborhood....that's a street. The name of that neighborhood is the United Center Park or simply Near West Side.

Unread 10-06-2010, 08:19 AM

8,719 posts, read 11,887,112 times
^ and it's FAR from the most dangerous area in the city, let alone the COUNTRY.

Unread 10-06-2010, 07:28 PM

6 posts, read 9,474 times
This list is a ridiculous joke, haha. Baltimore didn't make this list? Miami? Where's East Saint Louis?

Unread 10-08-2010, 10:34 AM

7,466 posts, read 8,374,987 times
List is garbage.

Unread 10-11-2010, 10:09 AM

364 posts, read 356,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
um the majority of housing projects in nyc and Boston are not safe sir.

That is what you think but that still doesnt mean its actually true. Atlanta doesnt even have any projects anymore in the city limits, they have all been torn down. Even take a city like New Orleans, there not on that list of projects either because allot of the projects there got destroyed during Katrina or torn down after. But even though you dont see them on the list, I would much rather take my chances walking thru the rougher parts of Boston or NYC than the rougher parts of New Orleans. Actually I would rather walk around the roughest parts of inner city Boston than I would even walk around some of the not so safe parts of the suburbs in New Orleans like Jefferson and St Bernard Parish. So % of housing projects means nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
List is garbage.
Not really. When you take into account that they count property crimes, the list makes sense. I grew up 2 miles from the #7 spot Marietta St. on that list, and while that area is not as bad as others in the city as far as drugs and gun violence, you are allot more likely to get either robbed or have your house or business broken into over there. Simply because that area around it is in the process of trying to gentrify, then you have Georgia Tech on one side, and the westside of Atlanta on the other. The thugs and stick up kids know where to go to find easy licks, so because Marietta St sits in between those two areas, thats where people are going to get robbed at and have their houses broken into at. Its not like Marietta St has shootouts every night and junkies all over the place, thats not what the list is saying.

Unread 10-11-2010, 05:12 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,425,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
That is what you think but that still doesnt mean its actually true. Atlanta doesnt even have any projects anymore in the city limits, they have all been torn down. Even take a city like New Orleans, there not on that list of projects either because allot of the projects there got destroyed during Katrina or torn down after. But even though you dont see them on the list, I would much rather take my chances walking thru the rougher parts of Boston or NYC than the rougher parts of New Orleans. Actually I would rather walk around the roughest parts of inner city Boston than I would even walk around some of the not so safe parts of the suburbs in New Orleans like Jefferson and St Bernard Parish. So % of housing projects means nothing.

Not really. When you take into account that they count property crimes, the list makes sense. I grew up 2 miles from the #7 spot Marietta St. on that list, and while that area is not as bad as others in the city as far as drugs and gun violence, you are allot more likely to get either robbed or have your house or business broken into over there. Simply because that area around it is in the process of trying to gentrify, then you have Georgia Tech on one side, and the westside of Atlanta on the other. The thugs and stick up kids know where to go to find easy licks, so because Marietta St sits in between those two areas, thats where people are going to get robbed at and have their houses broken into at. Its not like Marietta St has shootouts every night and junkies all over the place, thats not what the list is saying.

zone2flyboy i already know your main point of being on city data is to always compete with nyc and claim nyc is soft or what not. but its cool though.

anywho housing projects in new orleans and places like chicago shut down their housing projects because they were complete failures. now besides the crime have you ever seen pictures of cabrini green or magnolia houses??? those housing projects did not have entrance doors or even windows in some of the tenements.

nyc housing projects were always well taken care of , but were still hell holes filled with crime.

and also zone2flyboy you need to stop watching tv. a rough area is a rough area period. in case you haven't known new orleans crime rate has been dropping like the majority of the cities in this country. AND YOU CAN GET HIT IN ANY GHETTO IN AMERICA.

and btw the point of the list adding property crime in making a area dangerous shows how pathetic it is.

Unread 10-11-2010, 09:10 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 2,055,383 times
wow everybody still talking about projects.....when I mentioned housing projects I was using an example of the projects here not looking like how they are.....in other words giving a facade since they don't look dangerous (like the ones I posted) but definitely can be. I was using that as an example because jordandubreil said something about the areas not looking dangerous.

But anway, I do agree with you jordandubreil and others on here. I don't think the list is correct either

Unread 10-11-2010, 09:13 PM

6,974 posts, read 11,225,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart_thr0b View Post
This list is a ridiculous joke, haha. Baltimore didn't make this list? Miami? Where's East Saint Louis?
b'more didn't make the list? why am i reading this?

next

Unread 10-11-2010, 09:31 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,425,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
b'more didn't make the list? why am i reading this?

next
lmaoooooooooooo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City