Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:10 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times

Advertisements

To the moderator. I think you killed the wrong thread. This is not a city versus city issue.

It is a GIGO issue...garbage in garbage out. There is no way in the world for instance that Las Vegas has three of the countries worst neighborhoods. It has none. And the three neighborhood picked are a factor of three off the worse neighborhoods in Las vegas.

I would suspect from some of the numbers that they have used metro police numbers with city of Las Vegas population. That is a mistake that has even been made by the feds on one occassion.

The whole thesis of the site is likely an impossibilty. The required data is simply not collected and available.

So we got a garbage site publishing trash. Not a suitable yardstick to compare anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 10:15 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I think people are wrongly associating projects with high crime. Here are the cities who have the highest percentage of public housing:

Link

Boston - 14,000 units - 5.5% of housing units
New York - 178,554 units - 5.4% of housing units
Baltimore - 10,000 units - 3.4% of housing units
Minneapolis - 5,800 units - 3.3% of housing units
Washington DC - 8,000 units - 2.8% of housing units
Oakland - 3,308 units - 2% of housing units
San Francisco - 6,575 units - 1.8% of housing units
Milwaukee - 4,303 units - 1.8% of housing units
Seattle - 5,200 units - 1.8% of housing units
Sacramento - 3,144 units - 1.7% of housing units
Chicago - 16,500 units - 1.4% of housing units
Detroit - 4,000 units - 1.1% of housing units
Kansas City, MO - 1,964 units - 0.9% of housing units
Houston - 4,200 units - 0.5% of housing units
Los Angeles - 9,300 units - 0.7% of housing units
San Diego - 1,800 units - 0.4% of housing units

Of those 16 cities, only 3 appear on the "most dangerous neighborhoods" list. Boston & New York City, which have the two highest percentages of public housing in the country, are also among the safest major cities in the country.
yeah but if we were to look at the crime rates of those projects they might tell a differnet story. New york may be the safest city but im sure people living in some of the projects there will tell you they are still affected by crime daily. Same with boston and minneapolis ect.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:24 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,814 times
And those projects have enough people to be its own city.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:30 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Huh? How is that Chicago area the #1 most dangerous neigbhorhood in the country? It's a few blocks from the United Center, 75% of it is an industrial area specializing in beverage/food distribution and the other 25% is a redeveloped area of new condos.

I drive through there all the time when I'm avoiding the expressway, and while it's hardly a beautiful area, it's far from what I would call the worst in the city - let alone the country!!

The other Chicago neigbhorhood is a large vacant field with a few houses towards the bottom of the plot.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:48 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
yeah but if we were to look at the crime rates of those projects they might tell a differnet story. New york may be the safest city but im sure people living in some of the projects there will tell you they are still affected by crime daily. Same with boston and minneapolis ect.
Perhaps...but my point is that more public housing doesn't necessarily mean more crime. Even if these people are affected moreso by crime than other areas of the city, it means that either 1. Most crime takes place outside of public housing or 2. Boston and New York are total aberrations in keeping their housing projects relatively safe while crime in the public housing of other cities makes Medellin look like Munich.

I think the truth is closer to #1.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:37 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Perhaps...but my point is that more public housing doesn't necessarily mean more crime. Even if these people are affected moreso by crime than other areas of the city, it means that either 1. Most crime takes place outside of public housing or 2. Boston and New York are total aberrations in keeping their housing projects relatively safe while crime in the public housing of other cities makes Medellin look like Munich.

I think the truth is closer to #1.
um the majority of housing projects in nyc and Boston are not safe sir.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:50 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
um the majority of housing projects in nyc and Boston are not safe sir.
I'm not claiming they are...I suppose instead of "relatively", I should have said "comparatively" safe. My "2." bullet point was referring to posters saying More Public Housing = More crime. If that were true, Boston and New York--which have considerably more public housing than any other city in the country--would have to keep their public housing very safe comparatively speaking to public housing in cities like Chicago, Detroit, etc. since those cities have considerably less public housing and considerably more crime.

I feel like I may not be communicating this clearly, so if I'm speaking in a confusing manner, let me know. I've had too much coffee today and didn't sleep enough last night.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I'm not claiming they are...I suppose instead of "relatively", I should have said "comparatively" safe. My "2." bullet point was referring to posters saying More Public Housing = More crime. If that were true, Boston and New York--which have considerably more public housing than any other city in the country--would have to keep their public housing very safe comparatively speaking to public housing in cities like Chicago, Detroit, etc. since those cities have considerably less public housing and considerably more crime.

I feel like I may not be communicating this clearly, so if I'm speaking in a confusing manner, let me know. I've had too much coffee today and didn't sleep enough last night.
o no your right on man. now that you have explained it better i fully understand and your right. more housing projects does not equal crime thats just strange because housing projects are only a small portion of certain neighborhoods anyway.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:22 PM

531 posts, read 1,143,130 times
the more i look into, the the more i believe that list is complete BS.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
the more i look into, the the more i believe that list is complete BS.
it is it has to be smh. even the Chicago news tv stations are looking at this list in total bs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City