Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tampa, FL vs Austin, TX
Tampa 25 38.46%
Austin 40 61.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:04 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times

Advertisements

FL schools are known to attract students from across the US and even world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 01:54 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy_Fin_Guy View Post
A lot of people at UT commute from other parts of the city, not only from West Campus.
I know that, but it still has a thriving campus life and a VERY large student population which lives on campus or near the campus. No one in their right mind who's been to college would consider UT to be a commuter school!

Old 10-07-2010, 02:44 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
I think its pretty comparable. I found Tampa Bay Beaches to be pretty boring, they lack action.
They lack action? As compared to NJ's beaches? I know you got Atlantic City, but other than that......Florida is Florida.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:48 PM

UT>USF. Austin has a younger crowd, I lived there for a while, so I voted Austin.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I can find sand and water anywhere, when i go to a beach i want action and lively atmosphere. The only beaches in Florida that I found this was Miami beach and Ft. Lauderdale. The Tampa Bay beaches were utterly boring.
Obviously you haven't been to that many beaches in FLA. I'll name 2 or 3 more livel beaches: Hollywood Beach, Daytona Beach, Delray Beach.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:02 PM

908 posts, read 1,828,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Obviously you haven't been to that many beaches in FLA. I'll name 2 or 3 more livel beaches: Hollywood Beach, Daytona Beach, Delray Beach.
Are you serious?LOL

Old 10-07-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Are you serious?LOL
They're not lively? Delray: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kondro86/3982169058/ (broken link)

Old 10-07-2010, 03:25 PM

908 posts, read 1,828,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
They're not lively? Delray: Art Show Delray Beach, Florida | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kondro86/3982169058/ - broken link)
Lively if you are over 65

Old 10-07-2010, 04:19 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy_Fin_Guy View Post
Define "commuter school". Because last time I checked, a commuter school is a university where a large majority of students live off campus and commute to school (car, bus, bike, walk, etc.). In that regard UT, UCLA, Berkeley, USF, etc and most large public universities in urban settings are commuter schools.

BTW, USF is a Tier 1 National University. Not as high as UT, but still in the same peer group.

University of South Florida - Best College - Education - US News

LOL @ UT UCLA and Berkeley as commuter schools. Definitely not.

As stated before, USF was traditionally known as a commuter school. A quick search on google for this will turn up many results.

USF is not a peer of UT at all. Don't even try it. Using your logic, USF is peer of Harvard and MIT as well. UT's only peers are UCB, UCLA, Michigan, UVA, UNC etc. This is who they compete with for enrollment, academic posts, research funding, etc. If anything, the only peer in Florida UT-Austin has is University of Florida, though FSU is a flagship as well hence the increased higher price of state tuition at these public schools. USF only recently moved to flagship status and is certainly on the rise, but just isn't there yet.

Last edited by grapico; 10-07-2010 at 04:27 PM..

Old 10-07-2010, 05:37 PM

413 posts, read 818,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
LOL @ UT UCLA and Berkeley as commuter schools. Definitely not.

As stated before, USF was traditionally known as a commuter school. A quick search on google for this will turn up many results.

USF is not a peer of UT at all. Don't even try it. Using your logic, USF is peer of Harvard and MIT as well. UT's only peers are UCB, UCLA, Michigan, UVA, UNC etc. This is who they compete with for enrollment, academic posts, research funding, etc. If anything, the only peer in Florida UT-Austin has is University of Florida, though FSU is a flagship as well hence the increased higher price of state tuition at these public schools. USF only recently moved to flagship status and is certainly on the rise, but just isn't there yet.
Your argument has nothing to do with the definition of commuter school but thanks for trying. You actually haven't even said what do you mean by commuter school but I guess it's along the line of academically inferior.

Do you know who was the research team in the Gulf of Mexico oil spill? USF College of Marine Science.

It's funny how you open USF home page and it states it's one of the top 63 public research universities as indicated by the Carnegie Foundation, member of a BCS conference, etc..

BTW, at USF all freshmen are required to live on campus. Something that UT doesn't do. So much for commuter school, whatever that means to you.

Not to mention, that a poster who attended both just confirmed that actually USF has a broader pool of students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City