U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 10-08-2010, 12:48 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You can be dense and be suburban. Hence Los Angeles suburbs and Phoenix suburbs.
I know a lot of the Chicago suburbs are pretty densely populated as well.

Unread 10-08-2010, 12:51 PM

12,397 posts, read 12,648,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy_Fin_Guy View Post
Of course it's elevated in Miami, you are at Sea level, genius! Not to mention the view of downtown/Brickell is spectacular.
Could be cool to have an underwater subway line... which is what you'd have as if you dug down under the limestone there is water and possibly a sink hole. Same reason most places in Florida don't have a basement.

Unread 10-08-2010, 12:51 PM

12,685 posts, read 12,835,632 times
Quote:
Of course it's elevated in Miami, you are at Sea level, genius! Not to mention the view of downtown/Brickell is spectacular.
Hey genius, there are many systems that are at sea level and still have subways. What's your point. I want even bother to list them. Research them for yourself.

Quote:
I know a lot of the Chicago suburbs are pretty densely populated as well.
Yeah. Oak Park is dense but is urban. Same as Evanston. But Maywood is dense but very suburban.

Unread 10-08-2010, 12:53 PM

413 posts, read 390,639 times
Quote:
Hey genius, there are many systems that are a sea level and still have subways. What's your point. I want even bother to list them. Research them for yourself.

Yeah. Oak Park is dense but is urban. Same as Evanston. But Maywood is dense but very suburban.
Miami is beautiful. It's good that the subway system is elevated. Much better anyway than a light rail which sits in traffic and has one of the highest accidents rate in the World: Houston.

Unread 10-08-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Hey genius, there are many systems that are at sea level and still have subways. What's your point. I want even bother to list them. Research them for yourself.

The underground geology of NYC at sea level is much different than Miami or most places in Florida.

aquifer map, you could technically swim under Florida through the underground water caves.

Unread 10-08-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Miami is beautiful.
Good for Miami.
Quote:
It's good that the subway system is elevated. Much better anyway than a light rail which sits in traffic and has one of the highest accidents rate in the World: Houston.
The LRT system is mostly like a streetcar system for the 21st century in Houston. It is an urban transit system. Much different than Miami's.

Unread 10-08-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
The underground geology of NYC at sea level is much different than Miami or most places in Florida.

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/swapp/t_F...IFERS_MAP1.jpg

aquifer map, you could technically swim under Florida through the underground water caves.
Well I believe Houston has a problem geologically when it comes to building much underground. Even if Houston was to get a heavy rail system, most of it will probably get built at grade or elevated.

Unread 10-08-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Well I believe Houston has a problem geologically when it comes to building much underground. Even if Houston was to get a heavy rail system, most of it will probably get built at grade or elevated.
I'm sure pretty much everything around the gulf coast would be similar

Unread 10-08-2010, 01:00 PM

413 posts, read 390,639 times
Quote:
You would think elevated would be the way to go. But no...not for those geniuses running the city. They basically just created a light rail system which resembles a bus.

Unread 10-08-2010, 01:05 PM

Well that goes back to post 17
Quote:
There is a reason why Houston or Dallas does not have a subway. It's called politics. The populace wanted it for both cities and had plans for it. But the local politics declined it.
I believe this line did not get any help from the federal gov't and they had to build it out of their own money. The result is what you get. It isn't very well planned but again, it's nothing more than a 21st century version of a streetcar or trolley system. But it's still Light Rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City