Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 11:20 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times

Advertisements

Houston being the 4th largest "city" is as relevant as San Antonio being a larger "city" than San Fran and Boston.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:21 AM

11 posts, read 7,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Houston being the 4th largest "city" is as relevant as San Antonio being a larger "city" than San Fran and Boston.
I don't think that is quite right. That is an odd comparison

Old 10-13-2010, 11:27 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxr View Post
I don't think that is quite right. That is an odd comparison
That is more than a fair comparison; Houston is indeed the 4th largest city, partly because it is 634 sq miles (2.5x the land area as Chicago), San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the US also because it covers a huge area....Im not sure anybody would say that San Antonio is larger than San Fran or Boston.

My point is that arbitrary boundries are meaningless when looking at the size of a city.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:33 AM

11 posts, read 7,860 times
Quote:
That is more than a fair comparison; Houston is indeed the 4th largest city, partly because it is 634 sq miles (2.5x the land area as Chicago), San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the US also because it covers a huge area....Im not sure anybody would say that San Antonio is larger than San Fran or Boston.

My point is that arbitrary boundries are meaningless when looking at the size of a city.
okay, let me look at it slowly. You mean Houston is the 4th largest because it 2.5 times chicago? well Juneau is like 6 times the size of chicago so that should make it number 1.2 right? doesn't migration have anything to do with it? isn't places like Houston , Dallas Atlanta, getting about a million new people each decade with the land area staying the same.

I don't understand how the land area is big and the numbers just go up.

On the other Hand San Fransisco bay area is much bigger than San Antonio surrounding area. so I don't see how your comparison is valid.

are you upset that San Antonio has a big area? I don't understand these points

I just realized that Oklahoma city and Jacksonville is big too. no your points would make sense if they were number 4 too. no. It must be something more important than land.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:42 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Ok so how about Houston being the 5th largest US Metro, does that sound better to you?

We just eclipsed Philly for the number 5 spot.

By comparison San Francisco's metro population is way down on the list at #13 & Boston at #10.

People like you on C-D crack me up.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:49 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Ok so how about Houston being the 5th largest US Metro, does that sound better to you?

We just eclipsed Philly for the number 5 spot.

By comparison San Francisco's metro population is way down on the list at #13 & Boston at #10.

People like you on C-D crack me up.
its true. San Antonio is big on city population but small on metro (relatively)

Houston is a big city and a big metro, so Prelude is deluded

Old 10-13-2010, 11:54 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxr View Post
okay, let me look at it slowly. You mean Houston is the 4th largest because it 2.5 times chicago? well Juneau is like 6 times the size of chicago so that should make it number 1.2 right? doesn't migration have anything to do with it? isn't places like Houston , Dallas Atlanta, getting about a million new people each decade with the land area staying the same.

I don't understand how the land area is big and the numbers just go up.

On the other Hand San Fransisco bay area is much bigger than San Antonio surrounding area. so I don't see how your comparison is valid.

are you upset that San Antonio has a big area? I don't understand these points

I just realized that Oklahoma city and Jacksonville is big too. no your points would make sense if they were number 4 too. no. It must be something more important than land.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:17 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
You beat me to it.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:18 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
This idea of how big a city feels is interesting. I definitely feel like NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago are bigger cities than Houston, and that's expected. However, San Francisco, Miami, and Philadelphia also feel like larger cities to me than Houston. On the other hand, though Boston and DC have bigger CSAs, I feel like Houston is in some sense a bigger city even though Houston is nowhere near as bustling on the ground level as either city. I do feel it's a combination of density, street level vibrancy, skyline, and personal/cultural bias (I definitely heard more about all of the aforementioned cities growing up than I did about Houston growing up, so they probably have some kind of personal prominence for me).

Old 10-13-2010, 12:26 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
SA has dense walkable neighborhoods, and a walkable downtown. Therefore SA IS a larger city than SF and BOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City