Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 06:33 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you in Fort Collins? Saying you live/have lived in Denver when you're in the Fort is somewhere between borderline deceptive and lying through your teeth. I've lived in both. Outside of geography and climate it's an apples-to-oranges comparison. It's like claiming to live in Dallas when you're in Commerce or Gainesville.

I'm not going to dispute that Atlanta is bigger, more recognized, more diverse, and more lush than Denver, I still wouldn't live there. I've done my tour of duty in the south. Hate the humidity and I prefer the Rockies to the Appalachians. Proximity to the beach means precisely nothing to me.
Atlanta isn't even that close to the beach. It's a good 3 1/2 hour drive. That would be like me saying Dallas is close to the beach lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 06:52 AM

I would also like to make the point that I think Denver has better urban fabric than Atlanta.

Yeah, you heard me. Yes, I know Atlanta has heavy rail and the underground, but I'm talking about over all fabric.

Downtown Atlanta, while very urban is choked off with freeways on two sides and by rail road tracks on the other. Just west of the Georgia Dome it drops off into street car suburbs with lots of missinghomes density levels. On the East side it doesn't take long to go from high density to (very street car suburban) single family homes.

Denver is alot more gradual and traditional. There is an unbroken grid from downtown going east and there are still alot of small apartment buildings out past the zoo. Even on the west side of downtown once you cross the freeway the grid continues. It just follows the traditional urban transect better: dense to medium to less dense.

For those who say that Denver is just brown and ugly, check out Park Hill next time you are in town. Denver has streetcar suburbs that are just as nice as anything you will find in Atlanta (which also has a bunch of great streetcar suburb neighborhoods)

Old 11-27-2017, 08:42 AM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Denver is better for me, but Atlanta is a big boy city for sure.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:19 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Atlanta isn't even that close to the beach. It's a good 3 1/2 hour drive. That would be like me saying Dallas is close to the beach lol
Where, Galveston? LOL!!!

And this isn't about Dallas, it's about Atlanta & Denver.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Where, Galveston? LOL!!!

And this isn't about Dallas, it's about Atlanta & Denver.
I know, but the post I was replying to refrenceded proximity to the beach and I was just pointing out that Atlanta isn't really that close to the beach.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:58 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
I know, but the post I was replying to refrenceded proximity to the beach and I was just pointing out that Atlanta isn't really that close to the beach.
Compared to Denver it is.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:59 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Compared to Denver it is.
Yeah but the beach isn't a relevant topic to either really. Out of the two I personally prefer Atlanta. Denver is a bit too isolated for my personal preference.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Yeah but the beach isn't a relevant topic to either really. Out of the two I personally prefer Atlanta. Denver is a bit too isolated for my personal preference.
Agreed.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:59 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,477,145 times
Quote:
I would also like to make the point that I think Denver has better urban fabric than Atlanta.

Yeah, you heard me. Yes, I know Atlanta has heavy rail and the underground, but I'm talking about over all fabric.

Downtown Atlanta, while very urban is choked off with freeways on two sides and by rail road tracks on the other. Just west of the Georgia Dome it drops off into street car suburbs with lots of missinghomes density levels. On the East side it doesn't take long to go from high density to (very street car suburban) single family homes.

Denver is alot more gradual and traditional. There is an unbroken grid from downtown going east and there are still alot of small apartment buildings out past the zoo. Even on the west side of downtown once you cross the freeway the grid continues. It just follows the traditional urban transect better: dense to medium to less dense.

For those who say that Denver is just brown and ugly, check out Park Hill next time you are in town. Denver has streetcar suburbs that are just as nice as anything you will find in Atlanta (which also has a bunch of great streetcar suburb neighborhoods)
Underground is closed and was never much to begin with. Heavy Rail? Marta is pretty much useless. Denver has better transit. I used RTD all the time when I lived there. And the beach is much more 3.5 hours from Atlanta so yeah, not a factor. It will take you 5+ hours to get to any desirable beach (PCB/Destin/Hilton Head/Myrtle Beach) and that's if you're haulin azz.

I like downtown Denver, it's got a good dense core and lots of happening areas. The mountains as a backdrop and occasional heavy snow are a nice bonus. Heading South on Broadway always reminded me of Chicago. Although the low humidity in Denver is nice, I do prefer a more lush landscape so that one is a wash.

If I had to pick between those two, Denver all the way! We almost moved there a couple years ago. The deal breaker was the high cost of housing. Felt like a bubble to us so we ended up back in Chicago.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 11-28-2017 at 08:11 AM..

Old 11-28-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Underground is closed and was never much to begin with.
Absolutely disagree. In its heyday, Underground was pretty awesome and a big tourist attraction. Hopefully the plans to revitalize the area take off soon.

Quote:
Heavy Rail? Marta is pretty much useless.
Also disagree. While coverage is certainly lacking, to say it's "pretty much useless" is just asinine. It's still one of the most heavily utilized rail systems in the country and covers the airport, downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, and Perimeter.

Quote:
And the beach is much more 3.5 hours from Atlanta so yeah, not a factor. It will take you 5+ hours to get to any desirable beach (PCB/Destin/Hilton Head/Myrtle Beach) and that's if you're haulin azz.
Savannah is about 3.5 hours away and the area beaches are just a stone's throw away. Of course if you're going during a popular summer weekend traffic will make the trip longer but that's the typical travel time.

I know moving to Atlanta turned out to be a colossal mistake for you and it has zero redeeming qualities and everywhere else is just a million times better, so I'm not surprised by these misleading statements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City