Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I go?
Seattle 14 40.00%
San Francisco 6 17.14%
New York 15 42.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 01:21 AM

466 posts, read 1,622,461 times

Advertisements

Im currently in DC right now and I get the option of doing my clinical rotations (physical therapy) anywhere in the US. It is for 2 months next summer. Where do you think I should live for 2 months? Im a outgoing person if that helps. Ive narrowed it down to Seattle, San Francisco, or New York

Can city-data help me decide? =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 01:36 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,810,461 times
The weather is gorgeus in the summer in seattle. You could spend half the day on the beach and the other half in the mountains if you wanted.Seattle has a great night and day life. and the rents are not unbarable I lived downtown seattle three years it was the most fun I had in my life, thinking of moving back. Seattle is a very walkable city with great parks also.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:50 PM

5,004 posts, read 12,314,878 times
I second Seattle. Seattle summers, quite simply, are the best of any US city, period. No contest, don't even try. 75 and sunny with low humidity. Maybe 1 week where it goes into the mid-80s or higher, then the next week it settles down again. It's so mild here, people don't have AC in their homes! Doubt me? Come and visit. It shocked me, a Midwesterner, who moved here 4 years ago.

There is also a very large medical community here that has some the best cutting edge development and research hospitals.

Seattle's also got a very diverse range of lifestyles you can choose from, so long as it doesn't involve God, guns, and country music. But even if you did like those things, it's only about an hour drive to where people who like that stuff live.

Seattle, in comparison to NYC and SF, is the cheapest to live in as well. I liken it to all the culture and intersting stuff you'd find in NYC though obviously with less of it (ie. same diversity less quantity).

That said, I'd be torn too. NYC is the cultural melting pot capital of the world and oozes with America. SF is historic, beautiful, touristy, and liveable - in parts. If you like chinatowns, SF can't be beat. Similarly the weather in SF is pretty good, though don't forget the phrase - "The coldest winter I ever experienced was summer in San Fransisco."

One other thing to keep in mind... some people like this, but I didn't when I visited. European-style crowdedness. It's a zoo in NYC and SF. At least in Seattle you get a nice blend of density with SFH neighborhoods.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:00 PM

358 posts, read 751,626 times
If you're outgoing, then I'd drop Seattle from you consideration. I assure you that your personality type will crash and burn there (See Seattle Freeze). NYC is the obvious choice.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:29 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,132,477 times
None of the above, honestly.

Check out other cities that aren't in your face yuppie, rich, and Starbucksy.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:36 AM

26,826 posts, read 43,315,276 times
I'd go with NYC. There is so much to do and it would be an excellent experience. I lived in DC and have visited NYC many times and think the transition from your current low-rise living to high-rise NYC would be fun for that two month time period.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:01 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,810,461 times
I went to college in Seattle then I worked there and lived there seven years after college. The people were great the coffee culture is about meeting people and being friendly. I always met new people at cafes and clubs. Seattle may not be as big as other cities but they got a vibrant downtown. It has over 950+ resteraunts and bars , several flagships stores downton Nordstrom,R.E.I , Columbia Sports to name a couple. It has several parks I loved myrtle edwards park on elliot bay I would always make it a point to go bike riding at sunrise . Seattle is surounded by water it has several waterfront urban parks. Well I hope this helps and you make the choice best for you good luck.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:22 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,901,933 times
San Francisco. It's an expensive city but you'll be able to afford the lifestyle for 2 months. Plus that place is just awesome

Old 10-11-2010, 11:50 AM

12,385 posts, read 28,387,277 times
I'd go with Seattle or San Francisco. Simply because you are already close to New York and might not have the opportunity to as easily live in the others again.

If you are in San Francisco you can take the time to visit stuff in the area like the Redwoods, Big Sur, Yosemite, Tahoe etc..

If you are in Seattle there is Mt. Rainier, Vancouver, Portland all in the area.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:10 PM

84 posts, read 181,705 times
Seattle has great summer weather, as those above me have stated.

As for the "Seattle Freeze," I don't notice it much. People are friendly and considerate. It's easy to make friends around your neighborhood, and people are generally pleasant in parks, etc. The main places where you meet depressing and grouchy people will be on the street in the more commercial areas of the city, and maybe in some stores. It's nothing terrible, just an unpleasant demeanor, it's not like they're rude or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City