U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-12-2010, 07:19 PM

3,559 posts, read 4,330,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
In Chicagoland, Joliet, IL sort of acts as a city/suburb with other municipalities such as Plainfield, Shorewood, Bolingbrook, Romeoville acting as "Quasi-Suburbs" of Joliet.
Joliet Aurora and Naperville kinda got their own little "tri city" thing going on with all the little towns as the suburbs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 07:41 PM

4,377 posts, read 4,338,346 times
San Jose is a very large suburb, with lots of suburbs.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:03 PM

352 posts, read 296,583 times
Roswell, GA + Alpharetta, GA/Everything off of GA-400 past 285

Old 10-13-2010, 02:48 AM

4,442 posts, read 4,619,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I had always considered Apex a suburb of Cary until recently. It's growing so fast that it's harder for me to consider it in the same way now.
Interesting. Well, Cary is ginormous at over 100k. With Apex at around 35k it could still count.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:08 AM

12,623 posts, read 18,457,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
Roswell, GA + Alpharetta, GA/Everything off of GA-400 past 285
Yes, these are both large suburbs that support 'satellite' communities ie Crabapple, Milton and Birmingham for Alpharetta and Mountain Park for Roswell.
Another example (arguably) for Atlanta is the megasuburb of Marietta around which revolve the suburbs of East Cobb, Kennesaw, Acworth and Powder Springs.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:18 AM

4,815 posts, read 5,323,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Once again: IT IS CALLED THE "SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA" BECAUSE IT IS THE AREA AROUND SAN FRANCISCO BAY. IF IT WERE THE AREA AROUND SAN FRANCISCO, THEY'D CALL IT THE "SAN FRANCISCO AREA."

Chill out.

I thought it was called The "San Francisco Gay Area"?

Old 10-13-2010, 07:54 AM

593 posts, read 1,007,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
In Chicagoland, Joliet, IL sort of acts as a city/suburb with other municipalities such as Plainfield, Shorewood, Bolingbrook, Romeoville acting as "Quasi-Suburbs" of Joliet.
There also is a similar effect for other satellite cities within the Chicagoland area, namely Kenosha, Waukegan, Elgin, Aurora-Naperville, and Gary-Hammond-East Chicago.

For Kenosha: Pleasant Prairie, Winthrop Harbor, IL, plus Zion(though Zion probably has a slightly stronger relationship to Waukegan)
For Waukegan: Gurnee, Park City, Zion, North Chicago
Elgin: West Dundee, Carpentersville, Pingree Grove, Bartlett, Streamwood
Aurora-Naperville: Sugar Grove, Oswego, Yorkville, Plano, Plainfield(interestingly, I'd say it's both one of Aurora-Naperville, and Joliet)
Joliet: skipping it, since prelude nailed all of them.
Gary-Hammond-East Chicago: Munster, Highland, Griffith, Dyer, Saint John, Schererville, Crown Point, Hobart, Merrillville, Portage, Beverly Shores, Chesterton. I don't quite consider LaPorte County communities related, since it's separated by enough of a distance from Lake and Porter counties, and has economic relations with both Lake and Porter, plus the South Bend, IN area.

Skipping Kankakee and DeKalb, since I don't quite consider them part of Chicagoland, but I won't deny they have a limited economic relationship with the current designated counties within the Chicagoland area. Wouldn't be surprised if either city(plus their respective county) becomes part of Chicagoland someday, due to the fact sprawl has continued to creep ever outward in the Chicago area, and was doing so up till the beginning of the current recession. Boone County has a possibility of being a designated Chicagoland county, but I consider it more economically and culturally related to Rockford and Winnebago County, as of now.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:07 AM

10,180 posts, read 4,377,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Once again: IT IS CALLED THE "SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA" BECAUSE IT IS THE AREA AROUND SAN FRANCISCO BAY. IF IT WERE THE AREA AROUND SAN FRANCISCO, THEY'D CALL IT THE "SAN FRANCISCO AREA."
You're right. The name is the name of the Bay not the city, both have the same name. I always identify the Bay Area by that name "the Bay Area" because it doesn't address one city being more prominent and over the top from the others.
The Bay Area is a unit with strong functioning cities, San Jose, Oakland, & San Francisco are all the principle cities.

And they are about equal in population distribution too. Lets see the split.

Population within the Bay Area CSA:
Bay Area CSA Total Population: 7,427,940
San Francisco-San Mateo-Redwood City Metropolitan Division: 1,785,097
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara Metropolitan Area: 1,839,883
Oakland-Fremont-Hayward Metropolitan Division: 2,532,756

Source Bay Area CSA: http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...mat=&-_lang=en
Source San Jose MSA: http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...mat=&-_lang=en
Source Oakland MD: http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...mat=&-_lang=en
Source San Francisco MD: http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...mat=&-_lang=en

By city populations yeah San Jose has a larger land area than San Francisco but it is what it is, its the larger city. Even inside the Metropolitan Area when its split into 3 Main portions both Oakland & San Jose carry more weight than San Francisco in terms of population. Side note the actual city of Oakland is the smallest of the 3 main principle cities terms of city population but its Metropolitan Division is the most populated portion of the Bay Area. San Jose is the largest city in the Bay Area and its Metropolitan Area is the 2nd largest population center in the Bay Area. San Francisco is the 2nd largest city in the Bay Area but its population center in the Bay Area is the smallest of the Main three divisions.

The Bay Area is one entity, yes. But the Bay Area has 3 principle cities, not 1. San Francisco isn't the only one there, San Jose & Oakland both exist and carry their own weight in the Bay Area. They aren't "suburbs" at all. All 3 cities have their own international airports, all have their own sports teams, all have their own CBD's/Downtowns, all have their own economic drive. Oakland has the main port in the Bay Area and handles the freight rail services as well as having Berkeley in its division of the Metropolitan area (and part of the campus is in Oakland city limits), San Jose is the capital of the Silicon Valley and the center of the tech industry and its MSA is the host of Stanford University, & San Francisco does tourism and finance.

A lot of how I view the Bay Area is because I have close family there in San Jose, I give respect to San Jose as its own entity with its own ring of suburbs and its own economic center. And essentially thats true anyways, San Jose is its own city (as is Oakland) and both can more than carry their own weight.

I would really laugh at the person that says everything in the Bay Area constitutes of only San Francisco and everything else are the suburbs of San Francisco, what a special ed level statement that is.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:56 AM

352 posts, read 296,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yes, these are both large suburbs that support 'satellite' communities ie Crabapple, Milton and Birmingham for Alpharetta and Mountain Park for Roswell.
Another example (arguably) for Atlanta is the megasuburb of Marietta around which revolve the suburbs of East Cobb, Kennesaw, Acworth and Powder Springs.
Very true. Most things N-NE of the perimeter are interlocking suburbs that associate with the neighbor as much as, if not more, than they do to Atlanta. Though everybody loves Braves games.
Pretty much north Fulton Co. and Cobb can be described by the infamous Xzibit internet meme: "Yo dawg, we heard you like suburbs"

Old 10-13-2010, 11:02 AM

528 posts, read 599,502 times
I think NJ has some good examples of suburbs of other suburbs, and mass confusion & sprawl, etc. haha

Take Newark for example. Newark in and of itself is about the size of Buffalo, but since it's in NYC's shadow, it's often overlooked. Fact of the matter is, Newark has 3 of its own sports teams (devils & Nets, red bull next door), it has a huge seaport (port of newark). it has a major train hub (newark penn station), it has its own subway and light rail line, its own international airport, a very defined downtown & skyline, and is separated from jersey city and NYC by water. But all of that, and it's less than 10 miles from manhattan!

That being said, plenty of people from the newark area commute into nyc, but plenty others from the surrounding area commute into Newark. I'd like to see some commuting pattern maps or graphs, if anyone has some!

but some surrounding towns that are definitely suburbs of newark are Belleville, Bloomfield, the Oranges, irvington, and Harrison. Towns even farther away like Essex Fells and Short Hills probably identify more with NYC, but the immediate surrounding cities/towns probably associate more with newark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City