Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:46 PM

12 posts, read 41,904 times

Advertisements

Has anyone lived or spent considerable time in both cities, and can describe the straight interracial dating scene in both (specifically for Asian with other)?
I've only heard generalized stereotypes--lots of interracial dating in San Francisco because lots of Asians in the first place, not much at all in Chicago because of the whole Midwest, less minorities thing and people tending to stick to their own when it comes to romance.
When I visited Chicago I only saw around 2 Asian/other couples and the guy was always much older/fatter/balder, and not too many black/white or interracial couples in general. I was downtown though, so maybe it was the area? I've never been to San Francisco, so I'd just like some opinions from people who know the two cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 10:50 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
I live in Chicago for a good segment of every year. I've been in an interracial relationship before in Chicago, and yes I am Asian. No I am not bald, old, fat, or anything like that either, like the type of person you described and try to play off as a "norm" in Chicago... I am 20. If people are as much of an idiot to actually believe into this "it does not exist in Chicago" nonsense then they should just stay where they are. They are not needed in Chicago with their closed minded ideas.

I mean honestly, it depends on the person more than anything else to make any relationship work, you must be like a total special ed retard if you are miserable in a city as large as Chicago or even San Francisco. But thats just my thoughts on it.

But yes, it exists in Chicago, and it does so by quite a bit.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:00 PM

anyone with a little more objective view who has more than one-word sentences and doesn't need language like "idiot" or "total special ed retard" to express themselves?

thanks

Old 10-11-2010, 11:06 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjj321 View Post
anyone with a little more objective view who has more than one-word sentences and doesn't need language like "idiot" or "total special ed retard" to express themselves?

thanks
I didn't call you those things at all, I was talking about generalized crowd, I was just painting that if you're having problems in two of the largest population centers in the country in terms of interracial dating (as an Asian) then you have to self evaluate yourself first and foremost because that shouldn't be happening.

I've spent time in Bay Area & live in Chicago honestly you wont, and shouldn't have any problem at all in either place. And thats coming from an honest standpoint on this matter. And yes I'm also talking from my own personal experiences too.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:14 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times
Quote:

thanks

I am tired and don't feel like explaining why I picked it. Actually, I just don't like San Francisco and have a bias towards Chicago, so I picked it. Happy now?

Old 10-11-2010, 11:19 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,681,186 times
In SF the interracial dating scene,especially with Asians is exactly the same as the normal scene. It's just so common that it's all integrated,In Chicago I'm sure it's similar,just don't really know about the Asian interracial dating scene there.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:25 PM

first, no one said anything about anyone calling me anything, i just said I would prefer responses from people who "didn't need to use language like that to express themselves."
second, no one one said anything about having any type of problems in any cities, the question is just asking which one has a better interracial dating scene.
third, for the person who is tired and doesn't like san francisco, you should probably get some sleep instead of typing out irrelevant posts.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:27 PM

thanks golden state, that was helpful. basically wondering about how common and how integrated it is in both cities, how they compare.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:45 PM

749 posts, read 1,862,664 times
Quote:
Has anyone lived or spent considerable time in both cities, and can describe the straight interracial dating scene in both (specifically for Asian with other)?

I've only heard generalized stereotypes--lots of interracial dating in San Francisco because lots of Asians in the first place, not much at all in Chicago because of the whole Midwest, less minorities thing and people tending to stick to their own when it comes to romance.

When I visited Chicago I only saw around 2 Asian/other couples and the guy was always much older/fatter/balder, and not too many black/white or interracial couples in general. I was downtown though, so maybe it was the area? I've never been to San Francisco, so I'd just like some opinions from people who know the two cities.
All due respect, what did you expect to get on the internet about a topic as subjective as interracial dating? Objective facts about interracial dating? It's not like describing weather pattnerns or population gain or loss.

Joe Blow in City A had a negative experience so he projects that to the entire city or region, etc. Jane Doe had a great experience in City B so she says it's the most open and welcoming city for interracial dating on the planet.

The only source I can think of that even comes close to an objective analysis of the subject is a study by the Pew Center which measured attitudes towards interracial marriage. However, I am not sure they parsed the numbers by city.

Marrying Out - Pew Research Center

But the overall message of the study is interracial/interethnic marriage is INCREASING in popularity everywhere. Attitdues are increasingly open. Diverse cities like San Francisco or Chicago should provide ample opportunities.....

Old 10-11-2010, 11:59 PM

I only said "more objective" than views containing "idiot, total special ed retard, I'm tired and don't like SF, etc.", not completely objective, obviously.

Great link though, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City