U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which one do you deem more desirable to your preference?
Washington, DC: All the way! 107 36.15%
Seattle: All the way! 97 32.77%
I like Washington DC more slightly 40 13.51%
I like Seattle more slightly 35 11.82%
Confused/Other 17 5.74%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2010, 05:27 PM

10,180 posts, read 4,692,767 times
Default Seattle VS Washington DC

Criteria:
- Economy
- Housing
- Weather
- Scenery
- Activities
- Dining
- Sports
- Diversity (people)
- Shopping

Which one is more desirable to you personally?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 05:46 PM

301 posts, read 347,571 times
- Location DC
- Education DC
- Economy DC
- Housing DC
- Weather DC
- Scenery DC
- Activities DC
- Dining DC
- Sports DC
- Diversity (people) DC
- Shopping DC
Which one is more desirable to you personally? DC

DC wins all fronts. Seattle doesnt compare to superior city DC.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:03 PM

1,749 posts, read 1,640,595 times
Criteria:
- Location DC
- Education DC
- Economy DC
- Housing: Based on price? if so, Seattle (but both are pricey)
- Weather: Seattle
- Scenery: Seattle
- Activities: Tie
- Dining: DC
- Sports: DC (neither are great sports cities)
- Diversity (people): DC
- Shopping: DC

Old 10-12-2010, 06:45 PM

2,482 posts, read 2,014,003 times
DC in a near sweep. Seattle takes scenery due to the Sound. But Washington landmarks and architecture trump Seattle.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:58 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,088,861 times
-location DC
-Education hmm def Seattle second most educated city in the nation the east coast brain city is Boston.
-Economy the economy is doing better in Seattle than DC goverment is laying of Seattle has one of the lowest unemployment rates in nation right now so Seattle .
-Housing hmm dont know Seattles house prices are comparable to NY never been to DC.
-Weather uh Seattle is more mild year round no extreme.Seattle has two seasons only sunny and cloudy and damp.
-Scenery def Seattle surounded by water and mountains.
-Activities Hmm DC gots history, But Seattle gots water sports,beaches,mountains,hiking,sking lots of urban parks.DC im sure has parks also and so Seattle has history also like pike place market .DC just famous for history and Seattle for outdoor stuff.
-Dining Seattles famous for seafood pacific norhwest fare cedar plank salmon and down town Seattle has 950 resteraunts. Not sure about DC so I cant Judge.
-Sports I would pretty equal.
-diversity def DC
-Shopping Seattle it has flagship nordstrom store,the flagship REI,A flagship columbia sports wear store,A 300,000 square ft Macys ,a flagship Barneys NY,the original Sega Gameworks ,alot of themed national restraunts, 4+ million square ft retail all downtown lots of other national big stores in a 3.2 mile square area.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:57 PM

8,190 posts, read 6,200,944 times
- Location: This would depend on personal preference. DC is along the Eastern Seaboard/Bos-Wash corridor, whereas Seattle is located in a more scenic area of the country.

- Education: They both have highly educated populations, but I think the DC area edges out Seattle here although I'm not sure.

- Economy: Seattle wins in terms of the private sector, but due to the behemoth that is the federal government, I think DC wins here.

- Housing: Without looking at the stats, I'm most sure Seattle is cheaper than DC.

- Weather: Although DC gets horrifically humid in the summer, I'd take that over the constant overcast skies of the PNW.

- Scenery: Seattle, obviously.

- Activities: Again, depends on personally preference. I think Seattle has the best combination of nature and urban activities, but with DC being the nation's capital, there are things that you'll get there that you won't get anywhere else (i.e., tons of free museums).

- Dining: Dunno.

- Sports: I'll give this to DC since Seattle doesn't have an NBA team anymore.

- Diversity (people): Pretty sure DC wins this, but Seattle is no slouch here.

- Shopping: Don't know, but I'm willing to beat DC wins here.

Which one is more desirable to you personally? DC, but I am intrigued by Seattle.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:03 PM

19,034 posts, read 15,782,616 times
Criteria:
- Location - DC
- Education - DC
- Economy - DC
- Housing - DC
- Weather - Subjective
- Scenery - Seattle
- Activities - Close but Seattle
- Dining - DC
- Sports - DC
- Diversity (people) - DC
- Shopping - not sure

Which one is more desirable to you personally? DC

Old 10-12-2010, 08:07 PM

18,516 posts, read 15,765,525 times
apart from the scenery and the people, I would say DC all the way

Old 10-12-2010, 10:57 PM

4,554 posts, read 8,174,485 times
Which one is more desirable to me personally?

Well since I lived in both for a number of years I would pick Seattle.

Far more laid back. Less violent crime. Much better weather for me. Seattle's downtown is one of my favorites in N.A. Much more shopping choices in dt Seattle. Everything from thirft shops to Gucci, Barney's, flagship Nordstrom or Ross. Pike Place Market is like no other. Plus being surrounded by the lakes and the sound is awesome. I was honestly kind of worried leaving D.C. and moving Seattle. I use to think, would Seattle stack up to all the stuff I enjoyed in D.C? But honestly it has and in many ways for me surpassed D.C. If you've never been, come on over and check it out.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:41 AM

10,180 posts, read 4,692,767 times
Criteria:
- Location: Washington DC, Seattle seems a bit isolated other then Vancouver & Portland being nearby.

- Education: Washington DC, however the literacy rates in both is pretty high, Washington DC does have a larger educated workforce & also some top notch schools. Seattle isn't a slouch.

- Economy: Washington DC has the larger economy & the better performing economy but that doesn't say much since its the best performing Metropolitan Area in the country right now. Seattle is flourishing right now as well and has the healthiest economy on the West Coast.

- Housing: Seattle, I like their housing stock more. Seems a bit more of what I like. But Washington DC has some beautiful options too especially in Arlington & Alexandria.

- Weather: Seattle

- Scenery: Tie
+ Natural Scenery- Seattle
+ Monumental Scenery- Washington DC

- Activities: Tie, both will have plenty to do.

- Dining: Tie, I would imagine both to have a good plethora of options. I know Washington DC does, and from what my parents and others have told me, Seattle does also.

- Sports: Washington DC, has them all.

- Diversity (people): Washington DC, Seattle isn't a slouch when it comes to Asian population but Washington DC has more cultures represented (via ACS) and is more racially present.

- Shopping: Tie. I don't think either are known to be shopping meccas or anything of the sort.

Which one is more desirable to you personally? Well Seattle is the place I've been waiting a long time to see. I've seen Portland & I've seen Vancouver (on two different trips) but I missed out on Seattle. My parents have been there twice, and absolutely loved it there. Everyone I know has liked what they've seen there.
But Washington DC is a great city also, and I gave it the edge slightly because we're closing out on getting a residence in NoVa by the end of this year, so it will be a place that I will be spending a great deal of time in the future, with a place to live in also along with Chicago, Houston, & Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City