U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 51 5.35%
Phil 17 1.78%
DC 93 9.76%
Atlanta 556 58.34%
Memphis 10 1.05%
New ORleans 24 2.52%
Houston 16 1.68%
Seattle 10 1.05%
Chicago 26 2.73%
Detroit 66 6.93%
Other (include in your reply) 10 1.05%
There is none. 74 7.76%
Voters: 953. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 02:19 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,111,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
yo, stop it. it's NOT the 90's. and if it were, LA or NYC would be winning this poll!!! lmao outkast...no disrespect to outkast, but if you wanna talk 90's i think they'd be a liiiiittttlle overshadowed by those two guys..what are their names?..oh, yeah: tupac and notorious BIG. not to mention dre, snoop eazy e, wu tang, mobb deep,etc etc etc etc etc...yeah..if you want to take it to the 90's, Atlanta pretty much drops out of contention.
You missed the point with the Outkast reference. You previously stated, "Atlanta's scene has consistently produced rappers that have been at the top of the charts for the last 5ish years--I would not deny that. But none of them single-handedly put their city on (or back on i should say) the map the way eminem or lil wayne did." The fact is that what you're saying Eminem and Lil Wayne did for their cities, Outkast (and I would probably add Goodie Mob) did for Atlanta so Atlanta still deserves top consideration even in your particular frame of reference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 02:21 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,564,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I actually agree with Alexus, as I said earlier:

"As far as mainstream media and perception goes, Atlanta is the capital IMO. Realistically, there probably isn't one since Black people across the country may have similar origins, but not necessarily the same culture and I seriously doubt they all look to one place for influence"
i agree.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:45 PM

12,346 posts, read 17,964,974 times
Actually, there's no black capital. I don't know why everyone was so ready to vote for Atlanta. The capital of Black America is DC, which the capital of Latin America, White America, etc. Look folks, it's 21st century. Does everything have to be about race? I mean gosh, people single Atlanta and other cities out just to be this black capital and mecca. These threads and topics are soooooooooooo played out. Give it a break. To all blacks, disregard this thread because we can be successful in any city in the US.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:59 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,322,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
LOL! You are projecting YOUR personal hatred of the South here, not really speaking for anyone.
I'm speaking for anyone who finds this topic utterly absurd. To suggest that a city represents the "capital" of all black people suggests that all black people are alike. IMO, nothing could be further from the truth. There are black people living in NYC and Boston today who wouldn't be caught dead in Atlanta.

About my "projecting" or my "personal hatred", you are not qualified to know this because you know thing about me. Don't kill the messenger because you can't handle the message.

About my feelings about the South, I despise bigotry as practiced anywhere, including the South. I have an utter disdain for the racial history of the South and the present-day ultra-conservative leanings of the region. Many black people are content to live elsewhere because of this too. A city within this region is far from being a focal point for black people who define commonality by factors other than racial similarities.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:02 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,530,354 times
this is stupid

Old 10-13-2010, 03:29 PM

7,860 posts, read 11,971,736 times
I think some people are looking at this question from two different perspectives.

Perspective #1

Which city is the Capital of Black America in the sense that it is the only city that is important when talking about African-Americans and is the place they all want to be.

That place, I agree does not exist and the notion of such a place existing is ridiculous.

Perspective #2

Which city is the Capital of Black America in the sense that it is the city that best exemplifies African-American culture, business, art, and political thought.

For me, and a lot of people, that would either be Atlanta or DC in modern times and NYC and Chicago historically. There is room for debate for which city best exemplifies that, and it is fluid.

Anyone who scoffs at the idea of Perspective #2 in the vein that it means they "must want to go to that city" if they are Black are not seriously considering the topic at hand. I mean, would anyone deny that the city that best exemplifies Japanese culture is Tokyo? Would anyone also deny that it is silly to think that all Japanese people no matter where they live can only live in Tokyo in order to be successful or "must go there"?

Old 10-13-2010, 03:47 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,761,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
There's much more to Black America than urban/hip hop culture. Hell, White kids buy more of the stuff than we do.

I suppose you've not been to Charleston or Savannah. The Gullah/Geechee accent is just as distinct, maybe even more so.
True!

Old 10-13-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Thank You! It's about time someone set the record straight. Can't believe they were all acting like Lil Wayne was this great originator when he was simply riding the coat tail of Baby who was simply mimicking Master P.

I first learned about the whole New Orleans rap scene (as well as the New Orleans Hood scene) from listening to Master P. That was back when Lil Wayne was still in grade school.
and if I can remember correctly when CM first got on....no one was checking for Wayne for years! lol I've been a Wayne fan since the beginning of CM up until recently and I can remeber back when his first album came out everybody was like "he's trash". People didn't jump on the Wayne bandwagon until The Carter

Old 10-13-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
All of this is true, and to my knowledge New Orleans has a similar feel about Lil Wayne as Detroit does about Eminem.

New Orleans respects and cares more about Soulja Slim(R.I.P.), B.G., Juvenile and even Lil Boosie (Baton Rouge) more than Lil Wayne....because their music has more of a "Louisiana" feel to it.

As far as being representative of the city and state, N.O. could care less about Lil Wayne's pop music...rapping over auto tune with Nicki Minaj. That's just a universal pop sound.
I've heard that too when I lived in the south.

People have no idea how much we loathe the fact that everybody sees Em as Detroit hip hop! ugh! People give him respect as an artists because he is not garbage or anything but when it comes to Detroiters......he's the last we see as Detroit hip hop

Old 10-13-2010, 05:07 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,111,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Actually, there's no black capital. I don't know why everyone was so ready to vote for Atlanta. The capital of Black America is DC, which the capital of Latin America, White America, etc. Look folks, it's 21st century. Does everything have to be about race? I mean gosh, people single Atlanta and other cities out just to be this black capital and mecca. These threads and topics are soooooooooooo played out. Give it a break. To all blacks, disregard this thread because we can be successful in any city in the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I'm speaking for anyone who finds this topic utterly absurd. To suggest that a city represents the "capital" of all black people suggests that all black people are alike. IMO, nothing could be further from the truth. There are black people living in NYC and Boston today who wouldn't be caught dead in Atlanta.
See waronxmas's response:

Perspective #2

Which city is the Capital of Black America in the sense that it is the city that best exemplifies African-American culture, business, art, and political thought.

Quote:
About my feelings about the South, I despise bigotry as practiced anywhere, including the South. I have an utter disdain for the racial history of the South and the present-day ultra-conservative leanings of the region. Many black people are content to live elsewhere because of this too. A city within this region is far from being a focal point for black people who define commonality by factors other than racial similarities.
So I suppose if most people said the "capital" were Chicago, that would sit better with you?

Don't take things too seriously/literally. And I think it says a lot about the progress, racial and otherwise, that has happened and is happening in the South when Blacks (and those of other races and ethnicities) from all across the country have moved to the region in very significant numbers over the past few decades. Seems as though you're the only one thinking we're stuck in the 1950's down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City