U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 51 5.37%
Phil 17 1.79%
DC 93 9.79%
Atlanta 554 58.32%
Memphis 10 1.05%
New ORleans 24 2.53%
Houston 16 1.68%
Seattle 10 1.05%
Chicago 26 2.74%
Detroit 66 6.95%
Other (include in your reply) 10 1.05%
There is none. 73 7.68%
Voters: 950. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 05:17 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,919,807 times

Advertisements

Philly. It was "the promised land" for enslaved americans for hundreds of years.

Calling Atlanta the black capitol is like calling autschwitz the jewish capitol.

DC is the Amrican capitol, and thus is also the black capitol, but its between Philly and DC as the mecca of black culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 05:24 PM

4,677 posts, read 7,939,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Philly. It was "the promised land" for enslaved americans for hundreds of years.

Calling Atlanta the black capitol is like calling autschwitz the jewish capitol.
How so? I didn't know autschwitz had a prestigious Jewish university.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:34 PM

18,426 posts, read 26,528,464 times
Quote:

DC is the Amrican capitol, and thus is also the black capitol, but its between Philly and DC as the mecca of black culture.
Philly? While I know it has played a big role shaping Black America. Mecca, it is not.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
How so? I didn't know autschwitz had a prestigious Jewish university.
Atlanta is a place where blacks suffered inhumane persecution, that was the comparison I was drawing, but you already know that.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:08 PM

18,426 posts, read 26,528,464 times
Quote:
Atlanta is a place where blacks suffered inhumane persecution, that was the comparison I was drawing, but you already know that.
But it is no longer like that now. It is a place that many Black Americans believe they can prosper. Which is why it has the 2nd largest black population in the nation.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:17 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,109,936 times
Quote:
You have GOT to be kidding me. This is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Firstly, Atlanta never had a large slave population. Secondly, Atlanta was the birthplace of the Civil Rights movement, you know, the movement to give African Americans equal treatment under the law. Thirdly, Atlanta was where contemporary Black political, business, and educational powers coalesced to form a significant base of Black empowerment. How is any of this even remotely reminiscent of Autschwitz????????

Old 10-13-2010, 06:27 PM

442 posts, read 693,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
You have GOT to be kidding me. This is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Firstly, Atlanta never had a large slave population. Secondly, Atlanta was the birthplace of the Civil Rights movement, you know, the movement to give African Americans equal treatment under the law. Thirdly, Atlanta was where contemporary Black political, business, and educational powers coalesced to form a significant base of Black empowerment. How is any of this even remotely reminiscent of Autschwitz????????
This

Old 10-13-2010, 07:02 PM

531 posts, read 963,448 times
why is detroit anti eminem?

doesn't trick trick and the whole goon squad get a lot of love in detroit? and don't they all cosign eminem for the most part?

I could be wrong, but I feel like I'm always hearing about how trick trick is a boss in Detroit.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:24 PM

4,044 posts, read 7,065,116 times
Why are some black folks so obsessed with having a capital. I don't here hispanics or asians claiming a capital. It makes us look silly if you ask me.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
The things you named are all good, but are relatively recent developemnts. Lets not forget about the hundreds of years in which Blacks were stripped of their names, seperated from their families, barred from education, and generally murdered. That was most prevalent in the south, especially the deep south. In all likely hood, what our ancestors went through was probably considerably worst than what the jews went through in Germany. Philadelphia was the epicenter of the abolitionist, far more important than the civil rights(black dependence) farce.

Atlanta is significant in black American history, but more in a "let my people go" kind of way. Atlanta is the stereotype of black culture pushed by Uncle Toms like tyler perry and the such. Madea, and Meet the Browns etc. is not even close to being authentic black culture. TV and the media likes to portray most blacks as either comedic buffoons or career criminals, which couldn't be further from the truth. Just ask Spike Lee.

Atlanta is exactly what the popular media wants black culture to be, and has no real relationship authentic black american culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City