U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 51 5.33%
Phil 17 1.78%
DC 93 9.73%
Atlanta 559 58.47%
Memphis 10 1.05%
New ORleans 24 2.51%
Houston 16 1.67%
Seattle 10 1.05%
Chicago 26 2.72%
Detroit 66 6.90%
Other (include in your reply) 10 1.05%
There is none. 74 7.74%
Voters: 956. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:59 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,080,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I live in south FL and u are correct about it being a party destination for black america. Honestly, u should be in south Beach during Memorial day weekend. It's literally nothing but blk people. Also, a group called "BME" aka "black mafia entertainment" host parties at Wet Willies and other bars/clubs popular with rappers and black ppl.

I avoid it tho lol. It's just so try-hard rapper video wanna-be..... cuz after that weekend. 99% of the ppl down there "ballin out" . . . go back to where they're from..the cars with the 26 inch rims colored in the candy paint, smokin blunts, lol. soooo try-hard.
You're not Weezy, bro....lol nice try....did u see some rappers doing that on a music video on MTV or something? awwwww, its adorable u think that's ballin out. lol
Memorial Day is Urban Beach Week, right? I didn't go down to South Beach, but I heard about it. I try to avoid the area when it's crowded. I went down during Spring Break and it was crowded (a lot of Black people went then too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 02:31 PM

4,970 posts, read 7,123,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Memorial Day is Urban Beach Week, right? I didn't go down to South Beach, but I heard about it. I try to avoid the area when it's crowded. I went down during Spring Break and it was crowded (a lot of Black people went then too).
Yup, "Urban Beach week" is code for "black people week in south beach"....or rather "Young black people that worship Rick Ross, Juicy J, Weezy" in South Beach.

It's a shame really, I think it was during urban beach week last year that homeless man got his face eaten off? Yeah, keep it classy, miami

Pople with real class and tact and money wouldn't dare go to South Beach as it is tourists and tacky people who want to spend their rent money on a week of ballin out and bein a rap star lol
Us native south Floridians laugh at those people and mock them.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:56 PM

22,249 posts, read 31,562,440 times
It is DC, same as the capital for white, green, brown, yellow, purple, grey, aqua etc.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:48 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,480,787 times
Atlanta, with DC being a close second.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:18 AM

62 posts, read 109,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
It is DC, same as the capital for white, green, brown, yellow, purple, grey, aqua etc.

You haven't been paying attention...

try and keep up with the rest of the class, k??

Old 02-21-2013, 04:37 AM

62 posts, read 109,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Atlanta, with DC being a close second.
But what about Detroit??

I think it is most representative...

Old 02-21-2013, 06:09 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,359,780 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by telepicker97 View Post
But what about Detroit??

I think it is most representative...
How does detroit represent black ppl the most. It doesnt have the most black people anyway whats the logic your using?

Old 02-21-2013, 06:25 AM

9,086 posts, read 13,096,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
DC's role in black America is far more than population. Atlanta appeals to the masses, and it's more of an "anyone can make it here" type of place, but Washington is the city where it's harder to hack it, and the most concentrated black wealth, intelligence, and influence exists there.

BET and TV1 are still headquarted in DC, so it's still an important city when it comes to black entertainment.
If its a place where its harder to hack it.(I do agree) but why would it be a "capital" if that was the case?
Yes DC is a worthy competitor for second place.
D.C has more influence in politics. Thats it.
Quote:
the most concentrated black wealth, intelligence, and influence exists there.
Wealth?Yes.Atlanta is just behind.The rest no.
Intelligence-Atlanta.The AUC not to mention the important role Morehouse School of Medicine plays in minority health advancement.

Influence-Atlanta.
Film Production
BET/TV has bee filming the largest percentage of its programming in Atlanta.
Atlanta has:
Tyler Perry Studios.
Bounce TV-Bounce TV was founded on April 4, 2011 and is majority owned-and-operated by African Americans.[6] The founding group and initial ownership team includes former Atlanta mayor and United Nations Ambassador Andrew Young, Martin Luther King III, and Andrew "Bo" Young III; the group also includes Rob Hardy and Will Packer, the co-founders of Rainforest Films, a top African-American production company.
Rainforest Flims

Music.Record Companies and A/R people and other industry types.
Artist,Production etc....

Even the very mention of Atlanta in movies regarding blacks is more common.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:57 AM

1,997 posts, read 2,987,080 times
Not sure why anybody voted for the NYC Area...
Sure there are a lot of black people there... But that's only because there are a lot of EVERYBODY there.

NYC isn't even predominantly black. Actually, not even close. Shouldn't even be a consideration in this conversation.

Atlanta, Detroit, DC, Chicago, New Orleans, yes...

NYC, Seattle and Houston should probably be replaced by Baltimore, St. Louis and maybe Cleveland (although I don't think any of those 3 have a case for "Capitol")

Old 02-21-2013, 07:01 AM

18,430 posts, read 26,541,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Not sure why anybody voted for the NYC Area...
Sure there are a lot of black people there... But that's only because there are a lot of EVERYBODY there.

NYC isn't even predominantly black. Actually, not even close. Shouldn't even be a consideration in this conversation.

Atlanta, Detroit, DC, Chicago, New Orleans, yes...

NYC, Seattle and Houston should probably be replaced by Baltimore, St. Louis and maybe Cleveland (although I don't think any of those 3 have a case for "Capitol")
Why would St Louis or Cleveland replace NYC or Houston? Or at the least, have more of an argument than these two cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City