Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 12:15 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,092,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
In what sense?
Memphis is the capitol of the Black Belt region.
Jackson is historic themes and deeply black
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 03:21 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,362 times
Black on Black crime isn’t just meant to unjustifiably single out black people, it refers to a unique culture of crime that exists. Sure, violence happens in all demographics, but at different rates and with a different nature/dynamic . The Atlanta metro has lots of this a whole, but we also have black entrepreneurs and thick pockets of black professionals.

I don’t know why this (crime point) relevant to being the black capitol???

Old 03-23-2018, 03:47 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Black on Black crime isn’t just meant to unjustifiably single out black people, it refers to a unique culture of crime that exists. Sure, violence happens in all demographics, but at different rates and with a different nature/dynamic . The Atlanta metro has lots of this a whole, but we also have black entrepreneurs and thick pockets of black professionals.

I don’t know why this (crime point) relevant to being the black capitol???
The actual rates of crime in communities populated by primarily one demographic are similar for just about all races and the nature/dynamic of crime in Black communities is directly related to socioeconomic conditions, which isn't exactly a mystery.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:50 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
How did crime seep this conversation?

Old 03-23-2018, 05:09 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The actual rates of crime in communities populated by primarily one demographic are similar for just about all races and the nature/dynamic of crime in Black communities is directly related to socioeconomic conditions, which isn't exactly a mystery.
This has been a sensitive subject for you ever since I’ve been active here, but saying that *when* one commits crime it’s usually to those in close proximity (intraracial violence) its usually done to the same race isn’t the whole issue, it’s the per capita rate at which it is done that causes eyebrow arches. When the Muslim brothers try to sell me food/final call papers close to where I live, they say “we are trying combat black on black crime in the area, any donation helps†people understand the rate and nature of these crimes are very different in our community. How you want to explain it is irrelevant to acknowledging it as something unique in the first place.

This is a big issue ITP area.

I like your posts, so don’t take it personal, I just think you have a cognitive blindspot here.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:43 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
This has been a sensitive subject for you ever since I’ve been active here, but saying that *when* one commits crime it’s usually to those in close proximity (intraracial violence) its usually done to the same race isn’t the whole issue, it’s the per capita rate at which it is done that causes eyebrow arches. When the Muslim brothers try to sell me food/final call papers close to where I live, they say “we are trying combat black on black crime in the area, any donation helps” people understand the rate and nature of these crimes are very different in our community. How you want to explain it is irrelevant to acknowledging it as something unique in the first place.

This is a big issue ITP area.

I like your posts, so don’t take it personal, I just think you have a cognitive blindspot here.
No cognitive blind spot here; I'm well aware of the higher per capita crime rates in impoverished Black communities in particular--and no eyebrow arches are needed if one understands that this did not happen in a vacuum--but the term "Black on Black crime" has a pathologizing effect in the mainstream media particularly because the insinuation is often that Blacks have a unique propensity for committing crime and that's just not true. The damaging implications of the term is the issue here and I'd say that would be your blind spot. I'm not arguing that everyone who utilizes the term has sinister motives in doing so, but given the contexts in which the term tends to be (mis)used is reason enough to retire it altogether IMO.

Here's some info on the history of the term that supports my perspective IMO: https://www.citylab.com/equity/2015/...-crime/395507/

Old 03-25-2018, 10:04 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
There are only TWO. Everybody knows those two. Atlanta and DC have long been the centerpieces of large concentrations of Black population and wealth. NYC, Chicago, Philly, LA, Houston, Detroit, etc all have large concentrations of Black people but when it comes to covering all the bases ranging from HBCU, events, etc...those two metros are well-known for being "Chocolate" cities of America.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:27 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,395,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
How did crime seep this conversation?
Becauses someone suggested that they were interested in knowing which cities actually do the most effort for Blacks in the ghetto

Old 03-26-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Which ghettos have improved the most (less crime) over the years? Los Angeles area or the Atlanta area?
Maybe I’m missing something here since the answer would obviously be LA?

But please educate me on what I might be missing!

Old 03-26-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Those listings will always reflect the same/similar narrative. It's highly concentrated social networks that engage in these violent crimes. Overall, Atlanta violent crimes is lower than it's peak years. Baltimore didn't have the highest homicide rate , St.Louis still occupy that position.
Last year the murder cap was Baltimore!

And to be honest just about every major cities crime is down from back in the day. The crack epidemic ruined most major cities!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City