U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 51 5.33%
Phil 17 1.78%
DC 93 9.73%
Atlanta 559 58.47%
Memphis 10 1.05%
New ORleans 24 2.51%
Houston 16 1.67%
Seattle 10 1.05%
Chicago 26 2.72%
Detroit 66 6.90%
Other (include in your reply) 10 1.05%
There is none. 74 7.74%
Voters: 956. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 01:25 PM

28,910 posts, read 26,219,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory05 View Post
I always get a kick when someone describes Atlanta as the "it" city to go to. Just because it's center around alot of black entertainers, celebrities, and so called "Hollywood" life, doesn't make it the city the true black capital. The reality is there is NO Black capital! Moving anywhere because you think they have it better will be the wrong move every time. Atlanta, Chicago, New York, Baltimore/DC, and etc are all places where some black people have it rough.
Obviously there's no city where each and every Black person is thriving, but Atlanta was known as an important hub of Black culture way before lots of entertainers and celebrities called it home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 12:00 PM

88 posts, read 26,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Obviously there's no city where each and every Black person is thriving, but Atlanta was known as an important hub of Black culture way before lots of entertainers and celebrities called it home.
No denying about that historically.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:05 PM

4,725 posts, read 3,756,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory05 View Post
No denying about that historically.
It would be interesting to see each city's stats on levels of poverty, low income, and crime to see which has made the most progress. For me, it is important to see what city is actually doing to help those communities.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:12 PM

161 posts, read 111,858 times
There is none

Old 03-13-2018, 07:31 PM

26 posts, read 9,618 times
So many thoughts and perspectives flowing in this thread... whoa.

I think as far as perspective goes, Atlanta always dominates the conversation as evident in this thread poll and countless articles written on the subject. While I do not currently have the energy to address the multitude of opinions found in this thread I do want to share two articles that I find interesting.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/w...=.6f17661741bb

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/5a5bf.../#68a4f7f0cd33

Old 03-18-2018, 07:59 AM

1,991 posts, read 787,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
It would be interesting to see each city's stats on levels of poverty, low income, and crime to see which has made the most progress. For me, it is important to see what city is actually doing to help those communities.
Well in that case I would say black on black crime in Atlanta is still quite high. As far as helping poor communities I think Atlanta is like most cities. Not doing much!

Last edited by BrooklynJo; 03-18-2018 at 08:08 AM..

Old 03-18-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onxyknight85 View Post
So many thoughts and perspectives flowing in this thread... whoa.

I think as far as perspective goes, Atlanta always dominates the conversation as evident in this thread poll and countless articles written on the subject. While I do not currently have the energy to address the multitude of opinions found in this thread I do want to share two articles that I find interesting.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/w...=.6f17661741bb

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/5a5bf.../#68a4f7f0cd33
The second article was a poor observation if you ask me. Baltimore was listed as murder capital last year and continues to loss population and I am very familiar with southern Florida (all of my brother and family on my dad side live there from Jacksonville to Miami!) and many black folks there will tell you that the bias from the Hispanics in the job sector makes it hard for African americans to thrive even further.

That’s why a lot of native Black south floridans are moving to other southern cities like Atlanta or Charleston and others have left Dade county and moved to other Florida regions! I don’t have any articles or stats on this but this is what I observed from all my friends who live in Florida but wanted to achieve success with nothing in their way!

I forgot to add that gentrification is also currently attacking well known black communities in Miami such as Overtown the main hub of African Americans and also Little Haiti the main hub of Haitian immigrants.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Well in that case I would say black on black crime in Atlanta is still quite high. As far as helping poor communities I think Atlanta is like most cities. Not doing much!
"Black on Black crime"? People are still using that term?

Old 03-18-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
"Black on Black crime"? People are still using that term?
When did people stop using that term? The name of the thread is black capitol so I’m assuming as far as crime goes the OP is talking about crime in the black communities. So for this thread I think the term should be taken out of the coffin! Since we are talking about Black communities.

Now if this were an overall political debate I’d agree with you!

Last edited by BrooklynJo; 03-18-2018 at 08:58 AM..

Old 03-18-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
When did people stop using that term? The name of the thread is black capitol so I’m assuming as far as crime goes the OP is talking about crime in the black communities. So for this thread I think the term should be taken out of the coffin! Since we are talking about Black communities.

Now if this were an overall political debate I’d agree with you!
No, it's a complete BS term. Nobody uses the term "White on White crime," "Hispanic on Hispanic crime," "Asian on Asian crime," etc. So why pathologize Black people specifically with the term "Black on Black crime"? We can talk about crime within Black communities without using that racist ass term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City