U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 51 5.34%
Phil 17 1.78%
DC 93 9.74%
Atlanta 558 58.43%
Memphis 10 1.05%
New ORleans 24 2.51%
Houston 16 1.68%
Seattle 10 1.05%
Chicago 26 2.72%
Detroit 66 6.91%
Other (include in your reply) 10 1.05%
There is none. 74 7.75%
Voters: 955. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 09:26 AM

12,346 posts, read 17,967,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah that wasnít my point. Iím not comparing the amount of venues of NO to DC. I am saying that what New Orleans has along with its perception of being a party city coupled with this particular event is one of the most vibrant black events every year. Itís what many in that region look forward to every year. Tbh, I lived in Chicago, Miami, and Texas. Howard homecoming is simply not on the radar in these places so murksiderock is right on point regarding that. As I looked it up, over 100k people attended the Howard homecoming weekend every year compared to 250k attending the Bayou classic each year.
The Magic City Classic pulls more numbers than both of these events. The Classic is MASSIVE. I think BCís numbers may be skewed because of Bourbon Streetís patrons that donít actually patronize the event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 09:33 AM

143 posts, read 39,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
This board is hilarious; brothers always think that where they live has the only stuff going on lmao...

There are places you go where nobody black even knows about Howard homecoming. It is one of the more esteemed, but I think East Coasters in general have an inflated sense of importance. Some of the recent comments in respect to Howard homecoming attest to this...

There are multiple black urban centers, I wouldn't say "capital". But there isn't just one or two, and all of them offer variants of much of the same thing...
I agree with this post right here.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:39 AM

28,901 posts, read 26,208,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
The Magic City Classic pulls more numbers than both of these events. The Classic is MASSIVE. I think BCís numbers may be skewed because of Bourbon Streetís patrons that donít actually patronize the event.
That's pretty common for HBCU homecomings, classics, and tournaments (e.g., CIAA) in general. A lot of people come to town just to party and socialize without hitting up any of the actual 'official' events.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:40 AM

18,430 posts, read 26,537,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I donít. I think those are the actual numbers. If it didnít count the patrons on bourbon street, I would think there would be more.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:45 AM

143 posts, read 39,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
The "Capital" of Black America will have to be a Southern city, period. ( All due respect to NYC, Chicago, L.A, Detroit, etc the rest of you non southern metros).
I think the reason you wrote this is because blacks are originally from the south. In reality NYC, Chicago, L.A, Detroit are the main reasons why the black swag was elevated to a higher level during the great migration etc while the south was viewed as backwards and slow.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:09 AM

18,430 posts, read 26,537,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
I think the reason you wrote this is because blacks are originally from the south. In reality NYC, Chicago, L.A, Detroit are the main reasons why the black swag was elevated to a higher level during the great migration etc while the south was viewed as backwards and slow.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:06 PM

828 posts, read 528,695 times
Quote:
1. Yes.
2. .....Black swag wasn't the theme it would be Economics, etc.
3. Stereotypical view of the South.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:30 PM

4,310 posts, read 2,158,324 times
Quote:
pou ki Áa ?

Old 10-30-2018, 06:46 PM

828 posts, read 528,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
pou ki Áa ?
Because of history to keep it short. Before the Great Migration and after Blacks live in the South. It was around 92% that lived in the South then it declined to 53% by the 70s-90s. Now it's probably back up to 57/58%.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:05 PM

9,744 posts, read 11,195,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah that wasn’t my point. I’m not comparing the amount of venues of NO to DC. I am saying that what New Orleans has along with its perception of being a party city coupled with this particular event is one of the most vibrant black events every year. It’s what many in that region look forward to every year. Tbh, I lived in Chicago, Miami, and Texas. Howard homecoming is simply not on the radar in these places so murksiderock is right on point regarding that. As I looked it up, over 100k people attended the Howard homecoming weekend every year compared to 250k attending the Bayou classic each year.
My point is in dense, urban, vibrant cities like DC, the hustle and bustle is always there so DC is going to be busier than New Orleans and you’re really not going to know if people are there for Howard’s Homecoming or not. DC just has more going on and way more people. Events don’t change the vibrancy in DC. We have millions of people for various events all year and you would never know week to week because DC is always vibrant. Most people out and about in DC aren’t there for Howard’s Homecoming, it’s just people going out and it happens to be Howard’s Homecoming.

I think Howard’s Homecoming being famous has more to do with DC than Howard. DC was considered the hottest mega club city for black people for decades. That’s where the reputation came from. When people think of the hottest cities for African American parties, DC is always near the top of the list. New Orleans is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City