U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 51 5.34%
Phil 17 1.78%
DC 93 9.74%
Atlanta 558 58.43%
Memphis 10 1.05%
New ORleans 24 2.51%
Houston 16 1.68%
Seattle 10 1.05%
Chicago 26 2.72%
Detroit 66 6.91%
Other (include in your reply) 10 1.05%
There is none. 74 7.75%
Voters: 955. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 10:58 AM

828 posts, read 528,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i think blacks are originally from africa.
We're speaking American history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 12:08 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,794 posts, read 3,265,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
The DC Club scene has drastically changed over the past decade, especially in the black/urban segment. And all I'll say is the Gidewon Brothers in Atlanta could've definitely given Barnes/Wube a run for their money in that department starting around the 2000s or so.
Marc and Taz "broke up" on top of DC seeing the changes it saw as a city. Atlanta was definitely on the radar too, AG entertainment was known by people in DC, and vice versa. Alex Gidewon came to Love often, I remember seeing him Hov, Jeezy, Marc Barnes, among others all on stage together during 2009 inauguration weekend, definitely a sight to see of black excellence.

I'm just saying there was about an 8-10 year run where DC's black "mega club" scene was 2nd to none. Now a days, Compound in ATL would probably qualify is the top "mega club" on that scale at least between the two cities.

And again to the posters, who keep stating, that they "didn't know" or hear anything about DC's club scene in that time frame, well that is your own personal experience. Along the East Coast, whether it came to HBCU students, or just black college students from all over literally from NY to Florida, people knew that DC's clubs were at the top of the list, primarily Love/ Dream and H20, I won't make it seem like every last one of the large clubs was a mind blowing experience. But as someone who in mid-2000's traveled around at least most of the East/Midwest cities DC was a stand out for sure. Afterwards other events and cities started to get more notice, CIAA in Charlotte, among other places. But again even nationally there were no black promoters doing it bigger than Marc and Taz were in those years, maybe equivalent at best. They locked down all star weekends, and Super Bowl parties coast to coast, well in advance of other people, and hosted all A-listers for a while.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:17 PM

3,902 posts, read 2,568,637 times
^^^Family, we're all speaking anecdotally here. Your experience that people from all over knew about DC's club scene holds no more validity than anyone else saying they've lived or frequented areas where few to no people had an awareness of DC's club scene. You guys don't get to create the narrative of how popular DC's scene was, in a specialized industry (urban nightlife, organized and run by black people). If you have to be "in tune" to know about something, that directly contradicts the popularity or knowledge of an event...

I don't have to be in tune to know DC is the Capital and our legislature and federal decisions come from there. Its widely and easily known and accessible. I don't know who who Alex whoever or Marc Barnes is, never heard of them before they were mentioned here. That's not a knock on you brothers who know who they are or what they did, but it definitely places you in a minority of people, when the original sentiment being shared was that DC's nightlife and homecoming festivities are/were widely known by blacks the country over...

Ain't none of our experiences more valid than anyone else's, but if this thread shows anything, it proves that the original sentiment being shared isn't quite accurate...

Old 10-31-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Your experience that people from all over knew about DC's club scene holds no more validity than anyone else saying they've lived or frequented areas where few to no people had an awareness of DC's club scene.
I just quoted this, so that you could read back your own statement. Just because you "had no idea" of this, doesn't make what you're saying true either.

Then how else were the clubs packing thousands, in some instances close to 15,000 people to come party, then? I guess no one outside the DMV had a whiff of this. Fat Joe was quoting out these clubs in his songs, Camron shot the Hey Ma video at Love, I guess they must have had to google this and do their research to find this out.

A-List celebrities don't come to just party at any locally known club. The Game coming all the way from LA to do a show and then fly right back, means the club has clout, nationally. People wanted to come perform at Love specifically, I had a friend in Las Vegas who moved to New York and kept making the point of when she was in DC she had to come to this "Dream/Love" club.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:20 PM

3,902 posts, read 2,568,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I just quoted this, so that you could read back your own statement. Just because you "had no idea" of this, doesn't make what you're saying true either.

Then how else were the clubs packing thousands, in some instances close to 15,000 people to come party, then? I guess no one outside the DMV had a whiff of this. Fat Joe was quoting out these clubs in his songs, Camron shot the Hey Ma video at Love, I guess they must have had to google this and do their research to find this out.

A-List celebrities don't come to just party at any locally known club. The Game coming all the way from LA to do a show and then fly right back, means the club has clout, nationally. People wanted to come perform at Love specifically, I had a friend in Las Vegas who moved to New York and kept making the point of when she was in DC she had to come to this "Dream/Love" club.
Brother man you're going too hard for this...

The original sentiment was that DC was the #1 nightlife and homecoming spot in Black America, and was shared definitively. When people raised doubt at the viability of DC as the unquestioned leader, guys start naming guys and venues that nobody would know, UNLESS they are from the DMV or affiliated in the urban nightlife industry. Which, urban nightlife owned, orchestrated, and operated by black people, is very specific and not widely known to even the masses of casual clubgoers...

Nobody said DC doesn't attract A-listers or that there isn't a segment of people who follow industry trends who know about DC nightlife. The original commentary has been proven to be wrong, though you've helped modify and clarify the original message in subsequent posts...

Old 10-31-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Brother man you're going too hard for this...

The original sentiment was that DC was the #1 nightlife and homecoming spot in Black America, and was shared definitively. When people raised doubt at the viability of DC as the unquestioned leader, guys start naming guys and venues that nobody would know, UNLESS they are from the DMV or affiliated in the urban nightlife industry. Which, urban nightlife owned, orchestrated, and operated by black people, is very specific and not widely known to even the masses of casual clubgoers...

Nobody said DC doesn't attract A-listers or that there isn't a segment of people who follow industry trends who know about DC nightlife. The original commentary has been proven to be wrong, though you've helped modify and clarify the original message in subsequent posts...
No, well at least that wasn't the sentiment from me exactly.

What I agreed to was that DC was #1 for "black/urban" "mega clubs" at least from about 1998-2008/10'. Atlanta always has been on that scene, well at least from the 90's it has been known very well in terms of the overall black nightlife even back when DC was "chocolate city". I'm not saying it was a run away for DC. I'm just talking about more or less what can be measured. There were no cities with as large, upscale or top tier urban clubs as DC for about that 10-12 year stretch that I am aware of, and no one on this site or in real life has countered me to prove otherwise.

The only other city even on the radar in terms of number of large scale urban venues was Atlanta, and I used to go there twice a year throughout that whole decade, and later lived there in 2013. In that early/mid 2000's era DC's mega clubs out numbered the amount of large scale Atlanta urban venues by a little bit, especially when talking somewhat "upscale". Either way no other places came close to their level then in terms of "urban" "mega clubs". (Miami had a couple, but they were mixed crowds). Philly used to send buses of people to DC to party in those years.

It's subjective to grade the overall nightlife, so that is something up to opinion much like what you are saying. Atlanta may have very well had greater overall nightlife activity during that era some would say, but I don't how you could even begin to start quantifying that. What you can quantify is square footage of a club and capacity, and how many venues in a particular city are/were open around the same era. You can also find out how many nights per week each venue was open and to how many high level celebrities their promoters booked their clubs.

Last edited by the resident09; 10-31-2018 at 01:49 PM..

Old 10-31-2018, 05:40 PM

4,310 posts, read 2,158,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
We're speaking American history.
its still annoying to feel like caribbean-americans, cap-verdeans, afro-brazilians are irrelevant. african-americans tend to do that a lot.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:10 PM

28,901 posts, read 26,208,516 times
Quote:
its still annoying to feel like caribbean-americans, cap-verdeans, afro-brazilians are irrelevant. african-americans tend to do that a lot.
Huh? He was clearly talking about Black American history by referencing the Great Migration and the percentage of Blacks who lived in the South before that phenomenon and afterwards. You're being entirely too sensitive here and making a non-issue an issue.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:37 PM

828 posts, read 528,695 times
Quote:
This Is America

I'm a Black/African American.

( Shrugs).

Old 11-01-2018, 01:40 AM

926 posts, read 277,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Ditto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City