U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 51 5.34%
Phil 17 1.78%
DC 93 9.74%
Atlanta 558 58.43%
Memphis 10 1.05%
New ORleans 24 2.51%
Houston 16 1.68%
Seattle 10 1.05%
Chicago 26 2.72%
Detroit 66 6.91%
Other (include in your reply) 10 1.05%
There is none. 74 7.75%
Voters: 955. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-02-2018, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Tupelo, Ms
828 posts, read 528,695 times
Reputation: 488

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
cool, we are on the same page. but i think we represent far more than just 3 %. i think its closer to 50 %/50 % at this point (facts-kill-rhetoric ?) ?
Nope not at all. Here's the 2010 Census:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...WuCCGx3KtLQgKG

You probably think that base on the city your living in but Carribeans, Hispanic, Africans, etc aren't nowhere near the same population size as Blacks. It's the geographic distrubution of their populations is centered around large cities. Especially NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2018, 10:10 AM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
4,310 posts, read 2,158,324 times
Reputation: 2621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Nope not at all. Here's the 2010 Census:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...WuCCGx3KtLQgKG

You probably think that base on the city your living in but Carribeans, Hispanic, Africans, etc aren't nowhere near the same population size as Blacks. It's the geographic distrubution of their populations is centered around large cities. Especially NYC.
yikes ! feels like chalkboard scraping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2018, 10:15 AM
 
926 posts, read 277,529 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
cool, we are on the same page. but i think we represent far more than just 3 %. i think its closer to 50 %/50 % at this point (facts-kill-rhetoric ?) ?
I think its more than 3% but I dont think its anywhere near 50%.In some of the largest cities sure but across the south in states like Mississippi, Carolinas,Tennesee,Georgia and throughout much of the South its overwhelming over 80% for sure "native" African American
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2018, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Tupelo, Ms
828 posts, read 528,695 times
Reputation: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
yikes ! feels like chalkboard scraping.
I made an error in that statement, specifically Black/Afro in regards to those ethnicities collectively.

Why Yikes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2018, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Tupelo, Ms
828 posts, read 528,695 times
Reputation: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
I think its more than 3% but I dont think its anywhere near 50%.In some of the largest cities sure but across the south in states like Mississippi, Carolinas,Tennesee,Georgia and throughout much of the South its overwhelming over 80% for sure "native" African American
It could be 4-5% now but it's not large in the nationwide sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2018, 01:13 PM
 
883 posts, read 868,904 times
Reputation: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
cool, we are on the same page. but i think we represent far more than just 3 %. i think its closer to 50 %/50 % at this point (facts-kill-rhetoric ?) ?
Absolutely not. Non AA black people are maybe 10% of the total black American population. You just live in Boston to say this. Even New York and Miami is still majority AA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2018, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Tupelo, Ms
828 posts, read 528,695 times
Reputation: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Absolutely not. Non AA black people are maybe 10% of the total black American population. You just live in Boston to say this. Even New York and Miami is still majority AA.
Too high , more or less half of that. Both populations growing though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2018, 05:04 PM
 
883 posts, read 868,904 times
Reputation: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Too high , more or less half of that. Both populations growing though.
"roughly one-in-ten blacks (9%) living in the U.S. are foreign born, according to 2016 American Community Survey data, up from 3% in 1980. (Immigrants make up 10% of the black population in the March 2016 Current Population Survey.)"

Key facts about black immigrants in the U.S.

Just look it up, counting second generation Americans, the number should be about 10-15%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2018, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Tupelo, Ms
828 posts, read 528,695 times
Reputation: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
"roughly one-in-ten blacks (9%) living in the U.S. are foreign born, according to 2016 American Community Survey data, up from 3% in 1980. (Immigrants make up 10% of the black population in the March 2016 Current Population Survey.)"

Key facts about black immigrants in the U.S.

Just look it up, counting second generation Americans, the number should be about 10-15%.
Ok. 9% it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2018, 09:33 PM
 
926 posts, read 277,529 times
Reputation: 438
So what happens when a Jamaican has kids with a "native" African American? Are they African American or Jamaican?hmmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top