U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 51 5.37%
Phil 17 1.79%
DC 93 9.79%
Atlanta 554 58.32%
Memphis 10 1.05%
New ORleans 24 2.53%
Houston 16 1.68%
Seattle 10 1.05%
Chicago 26 2.74%
Detroit 66 6.95%
Other (include in your reply) 10 1.05%
There is none. 73 7.68%
Voters: 950. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 10:37 AM

9,744 posts, read 11,191,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Atlanta and DC have the most suburban Black affluence in the country, but surprisingly very little in their respective central cores. There's nothing really "chocolate-y" at all about the more urbanized parts of the metro Millennials are attracted to.

Not too familiar with Chicago, but Bronzeville and Hyde Park seem like walkable neighborhoods that have not succumbed completely to gentrification.

Ft. Greene, Clinton Hill and Bed-Stuy continue to be the strongest urban concentration of Black professionals in the country. Strivers Row in Harlem is still a solid neighborhood for the young Black professional.
Ward 7 and Ward 8 in DC are experiencing major development. Many commercial blocks of Ward 7 and 8 look just like U Street and 14th Street did in the year 2000. They will begin to look more like the core looks in 2019 over the next decade. Ward 7 and Ward 8 have the bones to look like Queen’s in New York I would say and there are a lot of college educated blacks in Ward 7 and 8. That’s who is buying the renovated homes in zip codes 20019, 20020, and 20032.

Neighborhoods like Parkside, Kenilworth, River Terrace, Benning, Anacostia, and Congress Heights will be the new black DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 09:27 PM

15 posts, read 5,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I get you man... I'm not Black but I'm very interested in why Black folks out of all racial groups have this need to stand separate from the rest... call me whatever you want but I don't understand why a city like SF or Seattle isn't also a Black mecca since all of my Black friends that live there are very successful and wealthy.
It's an acceptance issue. I'm a black immigrant and not necessarily authentically African American....and even with me, I felt more comfortable in Atlanta....I also felt treated better in Atlanta....COMPARED TO CHICAGO......and what you're saying is false because certain racial groups have a visible presence is SPECIFIC regions of the United states. Cubans tend to flock to Miami. Mexicans tend to flock to the Midwest and Texas. Eastern Europeans seem to prefer the Midwest. East Africans tend to be based in Minnesota. Asians flock to the L.A area and the west coast....so why is it a PROBLEM when African Americans seems to be Attracted to Atlanta and the DMV?....why is it labelled as "separation"?...probably better there are better networks and HISTORICALLY BLACK COLLEGES in those area to help facilitate Empowerment.....probably because city mayors in those regions are black and can understand the NEEDS of black residents in those regions....tons of reasons......You're insinuating that blacks are the ONLY group that does this and that is simply not true....I personally prefer to live in San Diego because I love S.D in general but I'd be lying to myself if I said I'd do better is S.D.......I honestly feel more opportunities will come my way in Maryland than in S.D eventhough I'd be happier in S.D......If I decided to live in S.D as a man of color, I'd be doing so OUT OF CHOICE......not because of exceptional benefits.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:53 AM

3,895 posts, read 2,564,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghana_Mafia View Post
It's an acceptance issue. I'm a black immigrant and not necessarily authentically African American....and even with me, I felt more comfortable in Atlanta....I also felt treated better in Atlanta....COMPARED TO CHICAGO......and what you're saying is false because certain racial groups have a visible presence is SPECIFIC regions of the United states. Cubans tend to flock to Miami. Mexicans tend to flock to the Midwest and Texas. Eastern Europeans seem to prefer the Midwest. East Africans tend to be based in Minnesota. Asians flock to the L.A area and the west coast....so why is it a PROBLEM when African Americans seems to be Attracted to Atlanta and the DMV?....why is it labelled as "separation"?...probably better there are better networks and HISTORICALLY BLACK COLLEGES in those area to help facilitate Empowerment.....probably because city mayors in those regions are black and can understand the NEEDS of black residents in those regions....tons of reasons......You're insinuating that blacks are the ONLY group that does this and that is simply not true....I personally prefer to live in San Diego because I love S.D in general but I'd be lying to myself if I said I'd do better is S.D.......I honestly feel more opportunities will come my way in Maryland than in S.D eventhough I'd be happier in S.D......If I decided to live in S.D as a man of color, I'd be doing so OUT OF CHOICE......not because of exceptional benefits.
That poster is Asian and has routinely displayed his prejudices with black Americans. He refuses to check himself, that's why he can make so crass a statement and not even blink. Trust, this isn't the first time he's given a false narrative about us, and usually will respond in defiance when confronted. It'd be a waste of time to think you can educate that guy on any depth of being black in America, he has all the answers already...

Old 03-05-2019, 06:41 AM

58 posts, read 12,276 times
Seattle definitely. Maybe even Portland Oregon?

Old 03-05-2019, 07:51 AM

676 posts, read 1,627,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
That poster is Asian and has routinely displayed his prejudices with black Americans. He refuses to check himself, that's why he can make so crass a statement and not even blink. Trust, this isn't the first time he's given a false narrative about us, and usually will respond in defiance when confronted. It'd be a waste of time to think you can educate that guy on any depth of being black in America, he has all the answers already...
I stopped reading his post after he said Seattle or SF should be considered a black mecca because he has some black friends that live there.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:52 AM

676 posts, read 1,627,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbobsully94 View Post
Seattle definitely. Maybe even Portland Oregon?
My vote is for Cheyenne, Wyoming I saw a black person standing in the middle of the street there one time when I drove up there from Colorado.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:33 AM

54,933 posts, read 78,540,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
My vote is for Cheyenne, Wyoming I saw a black person standing in the middle of the street there one time when I drove up there from Colorado.
Probably came from the Air Force Base. They even have churches that worship out of the African American tradition: Holy Temple COGIC - God's Place for God's People - Home

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-K...17915404902291

New Kingdom COGIC

https://www.historicwyoming.org/profiles/allen-chapel

and these guys came from there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_...all,_born_1987)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernon_Baker

but seriously though, no...

Old 03-05-2019, 09:28 AM

4,334 posts, read 5,007,651 times
Atlanta is by a mile, but NYC and DC are no slouch. All of the cities have black people of various income levels. From very upscale and upper class blacks, to lower class blacks. I find that these 3 cities have the largest diversity of black people too. You have black punks, metal heads, hip hop, nerds, gamers, etc in these 3 cities.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:06 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,328,862 times
I know this poll is off beat when Memphis numbers are the lowest on this Poll ranking smh,,lol,, especially when it has the largest percentage of Black's than just about every metro area in the US and is the only Metro in the US with a population of over 1,000,000 where blacks are the majority. I'm not saying Memphis is the capital of black America because honestly I don't believe in one but where a poll ranks a Seattle higher than Memphis on this index, that show a lot of people know very little about Memphis.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:28 PM

4,453 posts, read 2,690,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City