U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 51 5.34%
Phil 17 1.78%
DC 93 9.74%
Atlanta 558 58.43%
Memphis 10 1.05%
New ORleans 24 2.51%
Houston 16 1.68%
Seattle 10 1.05%
Chicago 26 2.72%
Detroit 66 6.91%
Other (include in your reply) 10 1.05%
There is none. 74 7.75%
Voters: 955. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-10-2019, 04:47 PM
 
9,744 posts, read 11,195,120 times
Reputation: 2278

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
apples and oranges are both fruits.
they are both edible.
they are both round.
they both have seeds.
they both grow from trees.
they are both colorful.
they both have skin.
they both can make juice.
...

they are kinda' more similar than they are different.
Interesting, sounds kinda like Black and White people who are even more alike as human beings, yet nothing alike culturally in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-10-2019, 05:14 PM
 
28,901 posts, read 26,208,516 times
Reputation: 17456
This was a good read: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ta/2982120002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2019, 05:19 PM
 
28,901 posts, read 26,208,516 times
Reputation: 17456
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Do you believe detached single family home neighborhoods can be apart of the urban core? I do not. That’s probably the most important part of this discussion. If you think they can be, that’s where we differ in definition making a comparison impossible. You mentioned in another thread that establishing definitions is crucial before even beginning this type of debate. You’re 100% right!
Somebody might want to tell cities like Charleston, Savannah, New Orleans, etc that they have to raze their downtown historic detached SFH neighborhoods in order to have a "real" urban core then.

But again, this is seriously off-topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2019, 06:28 PM
 
Location: ATLANTA
2,055 posts, read 1,331,327 times
Reputation: 1520
This has gotten way off topic and I wasn't gonna say anything but it seems to be a double standard but why does my Atlanta people get upset when people say comparing Atlanta to Cities like DC especially New York is like comparing Apples and oranges but when other Cities like say Nashville is compared to Atlanta it wants to be considered light years ahead when in reality it's a closer comparison. The justification goes back in forth of reason why they should and are in the same class when in reality it's not especially density and population wise, especially NY.. I know how sensitive of subjects this can be..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2019, 06:57 PM
 
28,901 posts, read 26,208,516 times
Reputation: 17456
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
This has gotten way off topic and I wasn't gonna say anything but it seems to be a double standard but why does my Atlanta people get upset when people say comparing Atlanta to Cities like DC especially New York is like comparing Apples and oranges but when other Cities like say Nashville is compared to Atlanta it wants to be considered light years ahead when in reality it's a closer comparison. The justification goes back in forth of reason why they should and are in the same class when in reality it's not especially density and population wise, especially NY.. I know how sensitive of subjects this can be..
Nashville isn't even in contention as a Black capital though so your point is pretty moot. This is the only reason NYC, DC, and Atlanta are all being compared here. Your pet city doesn't need to be part of every discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2019, 07:11 PM
 
Location: ATLANTA
2,055 posts, read 1,331,327 times
Reputation: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Nashville isn't even in contention as a Black capital though so your point is pretty moot. This is the only reason NYC, DC, and Atlanta are all being compared here. Your pet city doesn't need to be part of every discussion.
Not about a pet city or the point and truth be told, this has gotten off topic any way.. I know my pet city isn't in this mix, it actually feels more culturally mixed and intergrated which is a good thing. Our Great city isn't a part of every discussion either and wasn't trying to be smart but just going by what I have noticed. I don't really believe in the Black capital scenario but if I did I wouldn't include NY in this factor due to the fact NY just looks so much more diverse and culturally mixed by population than say an Atlanta in spite of NY's high black population IMO.. same is true for many other cities.. Guess it's all about what flavor u like but just as a heads up, not an argument buddy but I know how it goes..

Last edited by oobanks; 03-10-2019 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2019, 08:47 PM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,794 posts, read 3,265,029 times
Reputation: 2281
^^^ Nashville seemed pretty white when I was there in 2010, so idk about being "culturally mixed" in comparison to DC, ATL, or NYC. Being Black, I actually felt a little bit of an outcast in certain places I went in Nashville. But that was almost 10 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2019, 01:51 AM
 
Location: ATLANTA
2,055 posts, read 1,331,327 times
Reputation: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
^^^ Nashville seemed pretty white when I was there in 2010, so idk about being "culturally mixed" in comparison to DC, ATL, or NYC. Being Black, I actually felt a little bit of an outcast in certain places I went in Nashville. But that was almost 10 years ago.
That was 10 years ago, and that's not in comparison to the above, especially NY but can make sense, especially on certain parts of town. If you were in parts of North Nashville
back then, especially around the hbcu's it would have still felt like Atlanta area as well. There are parts of metro Atlanta where you can feel outcasted, especially years ago that were highly racist and made national news press for not wanting blacks in that area but things have highly improved but imo still feels sideways racist. Nashville is no small place either and has several districts and going to areas like Antioch, Madison, and even around Nolensville Pike current day will not be what you're thinking of in most mind as Nashville. Even many current day suburbs might not be what you are thinking. My case wasn't as far as Nashville being a Black capital because I see it as more racially harmonious current day and intermingled, it may be just over 50% white, but its almost 30% black and over %10 Hispanic since last census and has the largest Kurdish population in the US. With it being popular with imagrants like it is current day and growing over 100 people a day it is very culturally mixed current day... This is all way off subject, my response was just to all the Apples and oranges comparison and Atlanta wanting to be on the same playing field with all the big dogs in the NE region which makeup or density at the very least is totally different but always wants to be elevated way above its southern peers, and if some one compares it wants to state they are not in the same league but Atlanta wants to be in the same league as NY, Chicago, LA, San Francisco, etc. that's all I'm saying. I have seen some good threads get deleted because of this.I'm not one to tip toe around the tulip but we all know what certain truths will cause. We just have to understand Atlanta ain't that unique and special current day, it has plenty of competition even in the sunbelt and nation wide truth be told. Guess it's all about breaking down fact and fiction then it's all about how people see it them selves and each person's personal experience and perception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2019, 06:30 AM
 
28,901 posts, read 26,208,516 times
Reputation: 17456
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
There are parts of metro Atlanta where you can feel outcasted, especially years ago that were highly racist and made national news press for not wanting blacks in that area but things have highly improved but imo still feels sideways racist.
If you're talking about Forsyth County, I'd disagree. The last place I worked in metro Atlanta was Cumming and I've shopped, eaten out, and even been to court there, and never felt any racist vibes..."sideways" or otherwise. It's just entirely too diverse of a place these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2019, 06:43 AM
 
Location: ATLANTA
2,055 posts, read 1,331,327 times
Reputation: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If you're talking about Forsyth County, I'd disagree. The last place I worked in metro Atlanta was Cumming and I've shopped, eaten out, and even been to court there, and never felt any racist vibes..."sideways" or otherwise. It's just entirely too diverse of a place these days.
If you say so, not what I got there recently. Even has been some fishy things that have taken place there recently that had been swept under the rug..I didn't say it hasn't improved because it has to its 2019 but it's still side ways. Heck its some restaurants in the city of Atlanta and other parts of the metro that don't cater to blacks but the point is it's not a one way narrative here is all I'm saying for any place.. So many different spectrums on many levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top