U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 51 5.37%
Phil 17 1.79%
DC 93 9.79%
Atlanta 554 58.32%
Memphis 10 1.05%
New ORleans 24 2.53%
Houston 16 1.68%
Seattle 10 1.05%
Chicago 26 2.74%
Detroit 66 6.95%
Other (include in your reply) 10 1.05%
There is none. 73 7.68%
Voters: 950. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-13-2019, 06:46 PM
 
28,871 posts, read 26,188,135 times
Reputation: 17440

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Lmao! Pretty fitting I must say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-13-2019, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Tupelo, Ms
819 posts, read 527,295 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I said what I said, and I stand by that. Continue debating about ATL, DC, and NYC.
I will have to exclude NYC ( no disrespect) and keep the debate southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2019, 07:21 PM
 
678 posts, read 1,627,962 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
It's certainly is about cities. I said that Houston's Black community is largest in the South . We certainly can since the anchor of any metro is the reason for the attraction in economy, entertainment, etc. Also, ATL have recently gained an additional black population in it's metro. Like i said, it's in the spotlight in this timeframe and high quality promotions.
I don't think what you are saying is correct nor makes much sense. The city limit population relative to the metro area is a product of a number of factors including politics, annexation laws that may differ for particular regions. If the city population as the anchor was the true indication of a city's significance, Atlanta wouldn't even be a top 30 city but its one of the top cities for fortune 500 headquarters within the city limits. You have some cities like Miami and Atlanta that have a much smaller population within its city limits, others like Jacksonville that have a much larger city population than Atlanta or Miami. Does anyone on Earth think Jacksonville is a more significant city than Atlanta or Miami? It's disgenious to pretend like Houston's black influence is more significant than Atlanta just because there are more black people living in the defined city limits of Houston versus Atlanta, when the Atlanta metro region almost has twice the number of blacks that Houston does.

Last edited by Huntsville_secede; 03-13-2019 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2019, 08:11 PM
 
12,346 posts, read 17,962,750 times
Reputation: 3395
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What are you trying to imply?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2019, 09:41 PM
 
1,080 posts, read 511,113 times
Reputation: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
What are you trying to imply?
Some people just talk ish to see if it will stick and is a slave to low level conjecture. Not my words but just check other blogs and stuff.

I know you weren't directing this at me but you know what you said was/is absurd. That's like saying Puerto Ricans hate Orlando or Portuguese hate Boston or Ethiopians hate DC. Gotta think ach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2019, 11:25 PM
 
12,346 posts, read 17,962,750 times
Reputation: 3395
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Some people just talk ish to see if it will stick and is a slave to low level conjecture. Not my words but just check other blogs and stuff.

I know you weren't directing this at me but you know what you said was/is absurd. That's like saying Puerto Ricans hate Orlando or Portuguese hate Boston or Ethiopians hate DC. Gotta think ach.
Congrats, bro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2019, 08:41 AM
 
1,080 posts, read 511,113 times
Reputation: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Congrats, bro.
For what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2019, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Tupelo, Ms
819 posts, read 527,295 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
I don't think what you are saying is correct nor makes much sense. The city limit population relative to the metro area is a product of a number of factors including politics, annexation laws that may differ for particular regions. If the city population as the anchor was the true indication of a city's significance, Atlanta wouldn't even be a top 30 city but its one of the top cities for fortune 500 headquarters within the city limits. You have some cities like Miami and Atlanta that have a much smaller population within its city limits, others like Jacksonville that have a much larger city population than Atlanta or Miami. Does anyone on Earth think Jacksonville is a more significant city than Atlanta or Miami? It's disgenious to pretend like Houston's black influence is more significant than Atlanta just because there are more black people living in the defined city limits of Houston versus Atlanta, when the Atlanta metro region almost has twice the number of blacks that Houston does.
Are you done? Are you......done? (M'Baku voice)
You chose the CITY of ATL. I get it. But Houston's Black population is still the largest in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2019, 10:31 AM
 
9,744 posts, read 11,191,772 times
Reputation: 2273
Has anyone compared the differences between the majority black neighborhoods (80% - 100% black) in 2019 across the nation? How many full service grocery stores exist with bakeries, deli, butcher, florist, etc.? Sit down restaurants? New luxury apartment buildings with luxury amenities? If those black neighborhoods in city proper don't have these things, are the professional black people moving to other parts of the metro area to black neighborhoods that are 80% - 100% black, but have access to the things listed above?

I ask this because DC seems to have this problem. Many professional black people are moving to our metro station terminus neighborhoods like Hyattsville/Largo Metro Station area, and Camp Springs/Branch Avenue Metro Station area in Prince Georges County because new luxury apartments out there are bigger and a little more affordable than the DC urban core buildings going up. Until now, there haven't been any new apartment buildings that weren't income restricted built in Ward 7 or Ward 8. I assume that's the same for most all black neighborhoods in the cities around the nation because of the lack of comps and rents to make new development feasible.

The case study is as the new buildings rise in the majority black neighborhoods of Ward 7 and Ward 8 in DC over the next 2-years, will they start to rent in those neighborhoods or still skip over them and move to the suburbs? What has the experience been like for Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston, Dallas etc.?

Last edited by MDAllstar; 03-14-2019 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2019, 11:50 AM
 
678 posts, read 1,627,962 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Are you done? Are you......done? (M'Baku voice)
You chose the CITY of ATL. I get it. But Houston's Black population is still the largest in the South.
Yes Houston's city limit population is... which means nothing when the metropolitan area of Houston has far less than Atlanta, DC or New York. Houston metro is only 17% black which is around the same percentage of blacks that New York City has, but with a a far larger population, and for some odd reason you think New York shouldn't be in the conversation of being a black capital but Houston should. No one on here seriously thinks Houston is blacker than Atlanta except you and maybe one other person lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top