U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 51 5.37%
Phil 17 1.79%
DC 93 9.79%
Atlanta 554 58.32%
Memphis 10 1.05%
New ORleans 24 2.53%
Houston 16 1.68%
Seattle 10 1.05%
Chicago 26 2.74%
Detroit 66 6.95%
Other (include in your reply) 10 1.05%
There is none. 73 7.68%
Voters: 950. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 01:40 PM

12,346 posts, read 17,962,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
I understand your point yet the OP stated cities not metros to be fair. Even using metros is abit unbalance when listing qualities or themes to consider for a Black capital to some degree. Still fun topic and shoutout to Houston. I got to get there in the future.
Houston is dope, but it can be annoying at times. It ainít perfect. Thereís so much going on in the black community, and Iím helping with the efforts! Look out for some cool stuff coming up!

Yea, we can sit and argue about the capitol, but no place is the capitol. My life as a black man doesnít revolve around ATL, DC, Chicago, or NYC. Each place excels in a space where another one lacks. Thatís true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 01:47 PM

678 posts, read 1,627,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Iím done with it.
lol don't get offended you know I like Houston but your comments making it seem like all black people just hate Atlanta were a little over the top.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:39 PM

12,346 posts, read 17,962,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
lol don't get offended you know I like Houston but your comments making it seem like all black people just hate Atlanta were a little over the top.
Trust me, I’m not offended at all. I said based on what I’d seen on social media, blacks hate Atlanta; yea, it’s an exaggeration. It’s all over YouTube and Lipstick Alley (no, I don’t have an account on there; I just lurk); when they hate Atlanta, they mostly look at Houston as an alternative. I read comments all the time on this. Don’t discredit social media as a way to gague things because it’s nothing more than another way to communicate, especially in the comments; it’s no more than what we’re doing.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:52 PM

4,309 posts, read 2,155,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Has anyone compared the differences between the majority black neighborhoods (80% - 100% black) in 2019 across the nation? How many full service grocery stores exist with bakeries, deli, butcher, florist, etc.? Sit down restaurants? New luxury apartment buildings with luxury amenities? If those black neighborhoods in city proper don't have these things, are the professional black people moving to other parts of the metro area to black neighborhoods that are 80% - 100% black, but have access to the things listed above?
i'll big-up mattapan, ma (according to wikipedia, its still 82 % black of all ethnicities). it has a few markets, boulangeries, p‚tisseries, charcuteries, ...
not really luxary apartment buildings though. its mostly triple-deckers but gentrification hasnt hit yet (the average house is worth $ a quarter-million but only about 1/3rd own).

Old 03-14-2019, 05:11 PM

28,871 posts, read 26,188,135 times
Quote:
I understand your point yet the OP stated cities not metros to be fair. Even using metros is abit unbalance when listing qualities or themes to consider for a Black capital to some degree. Still fun topic and shoutout to Houston. I got to get there in the future.
A lot of times people mean metros here when they say "cities." We live in a metropolitan nation now and most people aren't looking at hard and fast city boundaries when it comes to topics like this.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:36 PM

819 posts, read 527,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Houston is dope, but it can be annoying at times. It ainít perfect. Thereís so much going on in the black community, and Iím helping with the efforts! Look out for some cool stuff coming up!

Yea, we can sit and argue about the capitol, but no place is the capitol. My life as a black man doesnít revolve around ATL, DC, Chicago, or NYC. Each place excels in a space where another one lacks. Thatís true.
That's quite true and i wondered what other categories that could be listed by professional capitals too. I have a relative that's over there or should be.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
A lot of times people mean metros here when they say "cities." We live in a metropolitan nation now and most people aren't looking at hard and fast city boundaries when it comes to topics like this.
I think most people think city proper though. Anyone looking at a location thinks neighborhoods within the city before the burbs generally. If I'm visiting a city it's the proper nit the burbs unless i have a social network there. I take metro talk in these poles as secondary info not primary per say.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
I think most people think city proper though. Anyone looking at a location thinks neighborhoods within the city before the burbs generally. If I'm visiting a city it's the proper nit the burbs unless i have a social network there. I take metro talk in these poles as secondary info not primary per say.
I'm talking about topics here on C-D. Usually the context of the discussion will make it clear if city proper or metropolitan area is being referenced, but many times it is the metro even if the title says "city"--which is the case here. In practical terms, a city extends well beyond its municipal boundaries.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm talking about topics here on C-D. Usually the context of the discussion will make it clear if city proper or metropolitan area is being referenced, but many times it is the metro even if the title says "city"--which is the case here. In practical terms, a city extends well beyond its municipal boundaries.
I keep checking back to the 1st post of the OP (9 years ago) and it's clearly city proper. Even the arguments back then was speaking of city proper. Regardless, this topic should be closed by now. No 1 city represents a de facto capital of Black America, it's multi-capitals .
ATL = Black Capital Of Georgia
DC= Black Capital Of Mid-Atlantic (?)
Houston = Black Capital Of Texas
NYC = Black Capital Of NY & East Coast

Old 03-15-2019, 01:40 AM

Quote:
I keep checking back to the 1st post of the OP (9 years ago) and it's clearly city proper. Even the arguments back then was speaking of city proper. Regardless, this topic should be closed by now. No 1 city represents a de facto capital of Black America, it's multi-capitals .
ATL = Black Capital Of Georgia
DC= Black Capital Of Mid-Atlantic (?)
Houston = Black Capital Of Texas
NYC = Black Capital Of NY & East Coast
The first post isn't clear about whether it's city proper or metropolitan area but that became clear as the thread went on. I'm not sure why you want to be obtuse about this. Do you actually think it makes sense to discuss this topic and exclude suburban areas like PG and DeKalb counties and the "Best Southwest" in metro Dallas? Like seriously???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City