U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 51 5.17%
Phil 17 1.72%
DC 96 9.74%
Atlanta 580 58.82%
Memphis 11 1.12%
New ORleans 25 2.54%
Houston 17 1.72%
Seattle 11 1.12%
Chicago 27 2.74%
Detroit 66 6.69%
Other (include in your reply) 10 1.01%
There is none. 75 7.61%
Voters: 986. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-15-2019, 07:41 AM
 
1,104 posts, read 1,793,427 times
Reputation: 758

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The first post isn't clear about whether it's city proper or metropolitan area but that became clear as the thread went on. I'm not sure why you want to be obtuse about this. Do you actually think it makes sense to discuss this topic and exclude suburban areas like PG and DeKalb counties and the "Best Southwest" in metro Dallas? Like seriously???
He's being obtuse about it because he keeps trying use selective statistics to push this false narrative that Houston is the blackest city or has the highest black population in the south. He can only do that by only considering the defined city limits since Houston proper is already the largest city in the South. Has nothing to do with it being blacker, there are just far more people in its city limits than all of the other Southern cities period.

As far as there being multiple capitals, of course there are multiple cities that have qualities and significance enough to be a black capital, but the point of this thread or any discussion like this is which ONE city most exemplifies the qualities and characteristics to be considered a black capital. The Root did a poll like this recently for black history month for which city is the blackest in America and Atlanta came out on top. Most polls like this Atlanta is usually going to come out on top but I do agree you can't really pick one city that represents the diversity of the black population.

https://www.theroot.com/bad-and-bouj...bla-1833042949
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-15-2019, 08:41 AM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
4,551 posts, read 2,325,331 times
Reputation: 2813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
I think most people think city proper though. Anyone looking at a location thinks neighborhoods within the city before the burbs generally. If I'm visiting a city it's the proper nit the burbs unless i have a social network there. I take metro talk in these poles as secondary info not primary per say.
metro (better necta) makes more sense than city arbitrary boundarys.
i know boston (48 square miles). talking about boston in terms of a vacuum makes no sense due to new englands anti-annexation laws.

e.g. - somerville used to be a part of charlestown but has since separated into its own city; eventhough, charlestown is still technically within the boundary of the city of boston. about the same time new york city built the biggest suspension bridge connecting the city of brooklyn. the next year n.y.c. annexed brooklyn, and then bronx, and then queens, and then staten island (303 square miles).
since 1990 l.a. has made 7 annexations (the latest was in 2015). are you saying that when this thread started certain sections of metro l.a. cannot be considered but now because an imaginary line has been redrawn they are now magically pertinent.

do you honestly believe some random farm land within the political border of jacksonville, fl (747 square miles) is more pertinent to city culture than most of eastern mass. there are probably more t stations in cambridge, somerville, brookline, quincy, ... than within the borders of boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2019, 08:54 AM
 
12,356 posts, read 18,237,564 times
Reputation: 3413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
I keep checking back to the 1st post of the OP (9 years ago) and it's clearly city proper. Even the arguments back then was speaking of city proper. Regardless, this topic should be closed by now. No 1 city represents a de facto capital of Black America, it's multi-capitals .
ATL = Black Capital Of Georgia
DC= Black Capital Of Mid-Atlantic (?)
Houston = Black Capital Of Texas
NYC = Black Capital Of NY & East Coast
No matter how you look at it is, itís still metro areas that we are discussing. Just look at the metro areas now, bro.

I actually kinda like your list. I think Atlantaís boundaries need to be expanded to include a lot of the Southeast. Houstonís should be expanded to include a lot of Louisiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2019, 08:57 AM
 
12,356 posts, read 18,237,564 times
Reputation: 3413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
He's being obtuse about it because he keeps trying use selective statistics to push this false narrative that Houston is the blackest city or has the highest black population in the south. He can only do that by only considering the defined city limits since Houston proper is already the largest city in the South. Has nothing to do with it being blacker, there are just far more people in its city limits than all of the other Southern cities period.

As far as there being multiple capitals, of course there are multiple cities that have qualities and significance enough to be a black capital, but the point of this thread or any discussion like this is which ONE city most exemplifies the qualities and characteristics to be considered a black capital. The Root did a poll like this recently for black history month for which city is the blackest in America and Atlanta came out on top. Most polls like this Atlanta is usually going to come out on top but I do agree you can't really pick one city that represents the diversity of the black population.

https://www.theroot.com/bad-and-bouj...bla-1833042949
That poll was a little more diverse than the CD one and included actual cities with some choices being a little absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2019, 11:10 AM
 
12,356 posts, read 18,237,564 times
Reputation: 3413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soolmr View Post
Atlanta
DC



NYC



Philly / Detroit / Charlotte



Dallas / Houston



Others
What you smoking? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2019, 11:54 AM
 
12,356 posts, read 18,237,564 times
Reputation: 3413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soolmr View Post
Atlanta
DC



NYC



Philly / Detroit / Charlotte



Dallas / Houston



Others
DC (PG County is just a beast.)
Atlanta
NYC
Houston
Chicago
Philly
Charlotte
Dallas
Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2019, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Boston
2,250 posts, read 1,312,666 times
Reputation: 2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
DC (PG County is just a beast.)
Atlanta
NYC
Houston
Chicago
Philly
Charlotte
Dallas
Miami
Miami???? How Miami proper is like 17/18% black and 2/3 of that is West indian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2019, 12:07 PM
 
1,104 posts, read 1,793,427 times
Reputation: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Miami???? How Miami proper is like 17/18% black and 2/3 of that is West indian
Miami has a larger "black" population than Houston or Dallas, but I'd imagine the majority of that is blacks from Caribbean and latin american countries.

List of U.S. metropolitan areas with large African-American populations
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...an_populations

List of U.S. cities with large African-American populations
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...an_populations

List of U.S. states and territories by African-American population
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...can_population
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2019, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Boston
2,250 posts, read 1,312,666 times
Reputation: 2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Miami has a larger "black" population than Houston or Dallas, but I'd imagine the majority of that is blacks from Caribbean and latin american countries.

List of U.S. metropolitan areas with large African-American populations
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...an_populations

List of U.S. cities with large African-American populations
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...an_populations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...can_population
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...can_population
Yea but I think having a sizeable presence in the principal city means ALOT more than you might. And yes they're majorities carribean, no doubt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2019, 12:26 PM
 
1,104 posts, read 1,793,427 times
Reputation: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea but I think having a sizeable presence in the principal city means ALOT more than you might. And yes they're majorities carribean, no doubt
I agree it means a good bit but city boundaries are so different from area to area that you can't just look at that alone comparison alone without more context. You have to look at the core of a city which may include some inner suburbs. Otherwise Jacksonville is more significant than Atlanta if you just go by defined city limits. But a sizable presence in the principal city is one reason Houston feels a lot more blacker than Dallas even though demographically on paper they're pretty similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:53 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top